Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Crankset advice...more help please

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Deerhill 
#1 ·
Looking for a 2x10 crankset for El Guapo build. Only really have ridden 29er with 22-32-40ish chain rings and FR/DH sleds so i am unsure what chainring combo to go with. I am not the fittest rider and the 22t in front and the 36t in rear on the 29er was good for me on the climbs. I was wondering what would be the translation from my 29er with the 22t in front to a 26er. I found the Race Face turbine 24-36-bash for close to $300 but like the X0 but lowest is 26t-39t. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

#2 ·
I am running 24/36 on the front of my RIP9 (29er) and find it works for me on even the steepest stuff. I think I have a 32 cog out back. I am in the process of building up a 26er with a 1x10 with 33f/36r that I plan to ride up everything and I'm sure will take some getting used to. If you're in worse shape than me then maybe stick with the Race Face option - 24f & 36r should be enough gearing to go up anything.

#5 ·
I was going to go 2x10 with a Mrp 2x and never really considered a 3x with bash but it is a great option. I am not a good climber and the whole chain size thing confuses me. Any idea how a 29er with 22t front and 36t rear compare to 26er with 26t front and 36t rear? I guess i could stop over thinking the whole thing and do the 22t front 36t rear and not sweat it :thumbsup:

#6 ·
I was going to go 2x10 with a Mrp 2x and never really considered a 3x with bash but it is a great option.
Yes, this is a great option. I wasn't clear but what I am running is a 3x9 setup as 2x9 with bash ring. As far as your other question, the comparison between 29" and 26" with different size chainrings is probably close assuming same size cog in the rear but to be honest there's so much more than wheel size that goes into getting up a hill that I wouldn't over think it.

#7 ·
with the sram cranksets from the x7 s1400 and up you can get different spider setups that are dual ring only, or dual ring plus the bash ring. and you can get gearing as low as a 22/36bash setup, that crank paired with an 11-36 out back will have all the low end you could want, and still have the high end of a 24/36 chainring setup.

take a look at the sram website and you can see all the chainring combos they offer.

#8 ·
I checked out the Sram site and saw that the 22-36 was an option but only as separate chainring purchase. I have not found any 2x10s cranksets with the 22-36 option. I really wanted the X0 with the 22-36 option but at the price of the crankset and the separate chainrings they are out of my budget.

#9 ·
If you can score a SRAM S-2200 from a specialized bike, it basically fits what you want.

It's a modified X0 crankset running 24-36 with a gamut bash guard. They're fitted onto some of their bikes such as the Enduro Expert. Where I come from, I can find some going for around $280 for a good condition s-2200

#11 ·
I have been running a 11-34 cassette with 22-32-bash (3x9) on my 2010 Stumpjumper and it has worked out well for a long, long time. For my new El Guapo build, I had the opportunity to purchase a X9 2x10 set up for cheap, so that's what I'm going with. I was curious what the differences would be, so I used Sheldon Brown's gear calculator to compare the two. You could do the same for the 29er that you rode.

Below are the comparisons between the 11-34 cassette with 22-32-bash and the 12-36 cassette with 26-39 front gears. The numbers in the white boxes are represented as "Gain Ratio" according the the website. According to Sheldon Brown, Gain ratio takes into account the crank length so that dissimilar crank lengths and gear ratios can be compared. Even though my crank lengths are the same, the gain ratio made the most sense to me. I found the comparison very interesting.

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.