mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Cranks: XTR's or Race Face?

I am trying to decide which cranks to get, new XTR's or Race Face Deus X-Type. Anyone have any advice?

I have 175's on my bike now and am happy with that size, but was wondering if I should consider 170's? I am 5'7" and my in seam is 29.5. I do a lot of uphill's and would hate to loose power, but don't know much about pro's/con's of changing my crank length.

Thanks for the help!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    XTR... I would stick to 175mm unless you are having clearance problems... I run 170s for a bit...the diff is not that big.. but it felt weird somehow... I guess they would work if you do high RPMs or something...

I already rode that
    Depends how much $$ you have as either is great.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    I just replaced my RF Deus XC with the 07 XTR. The XTR is easier to install and adjust and shifts substantially better.

El Pollo Diablo
    the crank shifts better?
    I don't follow.

OP: you're good either way, if I were you I'd tend towards whichever I could find cheaper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMongoose
    the crank shifts better?
    I don't follow.
    Chainring ramps and pin grabs the chain more positively. RF chainrings are good but not AS good as Shimano in this regard.

i am, therefore, i ride
    I had the same dilemna earlier this year. Due to financial constraints, I elected to get the RF Deus XC..... heck of a lot cheaper than the XTR M970's. I heard people complain about how difficult it is to install but as long as you read the manual, determine your chainline and BB shell size first, you should not have a problem. If money is not an object, go for the XTR. If it is an issue like me though, you will be happy with the RF Deus just the same.

El Pollo Diablo
    ah, the chainrings, not the cranks...
    I was thinking, he's out of his mind!
    gotcha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The 2007 XTRs have a nasty habit of bruising my ankle like a knife. Perhaps because of my leg size... bummer. Whatever you decide on, take it for a ride to find out how it fits.

lurkio
    Jul 2007
    Rf rings last longer and the whole lot is cheaper, XTR bb lasts longer and better shifting rings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by si,s
    Rf rings last longer and the whole lot is cheaper, XTR bb lasts longer and better shifting rings.
    The new XTR with a Ti middle ring should last a loooong time. It better, since I can't even imagine how much a replacement Ti ring would be. The cool thing is that the BCD is now not unique to XTR so any number of aftermarket (or XT) rings will fit.

RIDE TO LIVE
    I would go with the RF Deus. Can't beat it for the money. Get the silver finish and your cranks will look good for years. I don't understand why so many people complain about setting up these cranks. Follow the instructions and they are a breeze to install. My only complaint is the BB, it will go tits up after frequent water crossings.