No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Cranks for a new build: Tried and true? Or new?

New 6"+ aggressive, burly trail/AM build.

Have some Profile cranks on an old hardtail frame that's hanging in the garage. They'll fit the new, planned frame. I also have chainring(s) if I decide to run granny and middle (I currently run 1 X 9) and a bashring that will fit the Profiles. Profiles are old tech, but d@mn...they just plain work!

Not most folks' first thought for an AM build but should I use them to save some dough? Use the $ for other parts of the bike? Or, buy something newer and "better"? (Thinking of a Gravity Lite external bb set)

Potentially, I could save... what? ....around 400 clams for the new build? As, I'd probably switch out the included, cheap, BB and clear bashring that come with the GravLites and upgrade to a Hope BB and e13 bashring?

Don't know much about the published weight of the Profile set. (Crank arms, BB, and spider) vs. other more modern outboard BB complete cranksets.

If it helps, I flux between 190 and 200 bills.... give or take a big sh@t, and how much micro intake that week.

Ideally? I'd love everything on the new build to be brand, spankin' new. But, with a home, wife, two young daughters....this build is going to be different than the days when I'd walk into the shop to buy CK headset, and Classic Fr/R hubset (just because that's what I wanted that day) But, those parts are still going on bike that I'm currently still on! Lasted MANY years!

(In other words, I don't ever mind spending dough on bike parts that I know will last, even if i have to save to do it. My bike(s) get used...and I've generally found that you get what you pay for...)
    Just adding that to the post to say that I'm not willing to skimp on parts just to save a buck.

The post is more to ask a genuine question of "old, tried and true, Profile" vs. New, and outboard BB, crankset tech!

Just looking for opinions. Any 2 cents appreciated!

Thanks! Sorry to be so long winded!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well if they are the old box style profile cranks you could probably put them on ebay and buy any new set of cranks you wanted and not be a dime out of pocket.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    Profile all the way.
    Scratch_build4.jpg
    And get a BMX sprocket with integrated bash ring.

Tom P.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Rock what you've got

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by clay_smith
    Well if they are the old box style profile cranks you could probably put them on ebay and buy any new set of cranks you wanted and not be a dime out of pocket.
    Interested. Elaborate? Box style... as in, square tube? (not huge on Profile knowlege)
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    I would find a local powder shop place, pick your color, and pimp the Profiles. You could even get some graphics in and clearcoat over em on the profiles. get that bmx sprocket mentioned above too. 1x9 its hard to beat the Profiles...

And he means vintage profiles sell very well on the ebay.

Gravitys are nice, but meh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
    Interested. Elaborate? Box style... as in, square tube? (not huge on Profile knowlege)
    Not exactly square tube but more of a "boxy" appearance compared to the newer style which are more rounded. checkout this item number on ebay to see what I mean.

Tried to post a link but it was a mile long sorry.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    if it was me, I'd keep 'em, save the money, and make sure to get the parts you want for the rest of the build. You can always swap them out later.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

How old to be vintage?

I'm guessing that mine are from 98?
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Run what you've got, replace later when needed/broken/more flush with cash. Sure the Profiles may be a bit on the hefty side, but rather than buy a new setup to drop weight, you could always get the ti spindle and ti hardware kit for the Profiles...

Less dough than a new crankset/bb/bash and you drop a pretty big chunk of weight while still keeping durability and strength.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Scrub...

Funny to see you chime in here! Thanks for the advice!
    It would save me a bundle. Make buying the Lyrik Coil not as bad in the process...
    I say it's funny to have you chime in as I just mentioned you as someone to look up on a Ti AM hardtail thread that started recently.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by clay_smith
    Not exactly square tube but more of a "boxy" appearance compared to the newer style which are more rounded. checkout this item number on ebay to see what I mean.

Tried to post a link but it was a mile long sorry.

Mike
    Ahhh, now I remember those from my Skyway T/A BMX days! Wow! That set went for $610!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    New cranks all the way. Best value for an AM set is SLX 665..