View Poll Results: Which crank setup should I go with?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pic 1

4 11.11%
  • Pic 2

2 5.56%
  • Pic 3

5 13.89%
  • Pic 4

25 69.44%
  • Other (post below)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    skaterqwertyuiop

Crank Recommendations AM/FR

Aight guys, I've decided to upgrade my cranks to accommodate a chainguide and bashguard. I drop chain almost every single drop or jump over a foot, which has almost caused some serious issues. I've been thinking Blackspire Stinger, cause I run 2 chinrings. I'm on a tight budget, check out my current choices in the images. I'm leaning toward the cheapest one (TruVativ Rukiton). Any experiences/input is very appreciated.
    FYI I ride AM/Light freeride and go to diablo a few times a year. I have a 73mm bb with no ISCG tabs.
    Ignore the cassette spacer, that's for my XC bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank Recommendations AM/FR-crankoption1.jpg  

Crank Recommendations AM/FR-crankoption2.jpg  

Crank Recommendations AM/FR-crankoption3.jpg  

Crank Recommendations AM/FR-crankoption4.jpg  

It's not about what bike you ride, but how hard you tear it up

{Believeland}
    I have had nothing but good experiences with the slx that had come on my bike, absolutely loved it! My friend has one on his AM bike as well and uses it for light dh and some really techy stuff quite frequently and at 195lbs he says he doesnt experience any flex whatsoever.
    ride fast.... live slow

skaterqwertyuiop
    Quote Originally Posted by XCkiller View Post
    I have had nothing but good experiences with the slx that had come on my bike, absolutely loved it! My friend has one on his AM bike as well and uses it for light dh and some really techy stuff quite frequently and at 195lbs he says he doesnt experience any flex whatsoever.
    Yeah, I was down to the SLX and the Ruktion. I thought about getting the SLX on BSC, especially considering it'd be the price of the LX from Jenson.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Race Face Turbine ! Go get it fool!

skaterqwertyuiop
    Quote Originally Posted by gunt pimp View Post
    Race Face Turbine ! Go get it fool!
    I looked at them earlier, and they're only 3x my budget...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I use SLX cranks with 2 rings & bash, and have almost no problems with chain drop. Feel no need in chainguide.

skaterqwertyuiop
    Quote Originally Posted by gsom111 View Post
    I use SLX cranks with 2 rings & bash, and have almost no problems with chain drop. Feel no need in chainguide.
    What kind of riding do you do? Cause I never dropped chain until i rode at Diablo. And the day I did I dropped chain 3 times, twice on a triple and once on a drop on alpine.
    Thanks, Tim

Ramp Local
    Race Face Respond $209 at Jenson

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterqwertyuiop View Post
    What kind of riding do you do? Cause I never dropped chain until i rode at Diablo. And the day I did I dropped chain 3 times, twice on a triple and once on a drop on alpine.
    Thanks, Tim
    Hey whats up bro, i see you on MTBNJ forums as well What bike do you bring to diablo? I was thinking about trying my spec enduro on the light trails out there lol , think i can manage with it if i stick with the fast flowy trails ? Thanks ! Sorry dont mean to go OT .

skaterqwertyuiop
    http://www.thetristore.com/products/EnduroComp2011.jpg
    If your bike is set up like that one, lower that seat, throw a 2.5 on the front and go shred. It's more about the rider than the bike
    I ride my Iron Horse there. I was fine.
    Pictures by skaterqwertyuiop - Photobucket for pics of it's current setup.
    Also, I highly recommend checking out Fluidride like a pro_ . It covers a bunch of downhill skills and it really helped me out.
    Rent full pads unless you own a full set. They will save your ass. Wear a full face, I would be dead currently if I wasn't wearing one. Overshot a tabletop on alpine, shattered my visor, bloody nose, scraped to hell helmet. Somehow my bike was fine.
    I didn't ride all the trails, but I did fine on alpine (crash was on last run of the day, I always crash on the last run lol). I did have trouble on twist (i think that was the name), it was a black diamond with giant rocks. The trail is giant rocks. Sharp rocks. Second time around riding twist was better because I knew which lines to take.
    DH at Diablo is an amazing experience, and I know i'm hooked for life now

mtbr member
    Ruktion is the best crank on the list. Truvativ make solid low priced cranks that are bomb proof. SLX should be 50$ crank imo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illini View Post
    Ruktion is the best crank on the list. Truvativ make solid low priced cranks that are bomb proof. SLX should be 50$ crank imo.
    Last edited by eurospek; 09-02-2011 at 09:28 AM.

skaterqwertyuiop
    Quote Originally Posted by illini View Post
    Share your experience with both please. Just having one person say that doesn't really convince me to get it lol
    EDIT: I hope it's as good, cause it'd save me 50 bucks. I'm just having trouble finding reviews online of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skaterqwertyuiop View Post
    Share your experience with both please. Just having one person say that doesn't really convince me to get it lol
    EDIT: I hope it's as good, cause it'd save me 50 bucks. I'm just having trouble finding reviews online of it.
    I dont need to convince anyone, you can make your own decisions. I just gave you my opinion and voted on your poll.

mtbr member
    I have the Truvativ Stylo OCT AM 2.2 on my Roscoe. Comes with bashguard. I ride aggressive AM (no DH) and couldn't say enough good things about this crankset.

Not the crank you listed but a thumbs up for Truvativ.

Off the back...
    +1 on SLX [or the LX is good too]. Between my wife and I, we have 10 bikes. Crank-wise, we have 2 [Turbine] Race Face cranks, 3 Truvativ/SRAM [Stylo Team/Red/???]and 5 Shimano [Deore/LX/XT/Dura-Ace/???]. The main performance difference is in the rings and the bottom brackets. The Shimano chainrings are simply better at shifting than the Truvativ and Race Face. I don't know why, and I kinda don't care. The Race Face BBs are good for maybe a season of use before developing roughness or slop, but the Truvativ and Shimano units are very durable. We have Blackspire Stingers on 4 bikes - very nice piece of kit. My $0.02...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    SLX. I had (still have actually) a Truvativ Stylo crankset. The chainrings on it lasted 6 months before becoming useless. I fitted Shimano LX chainrings onto it which are still going today. Maybe they've improved their chainrings in the last few years, but I get such good life out of the Shimano that I don't reason to find out.

mtbr member
    If in doubt fit Shimano!

That should really be their corporate slogan, it's true too.

The SLX is the best of that bunch (I have one, excellent cranks) but the LX and Stylo will not disappoint you either.

Avoid the Ruktion and any crank that uses a Howitzer bottom bracket. It will be unreliable, it will come loose at the worst possible moments and it will run away with your girlfriend and your beer. I and probably a good number of bike shop mechanics round the world hate that effing Howitzer bb with a passion, so don't buy it.

alt
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've been using SLX for two years. Very reliable. The best value overall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    truvativ holzfeler otc 2.2 is what i have and have been using for a while now. good solid crank and fairly light. the key question is how much are you looking to spend? my spec enduro came sram cranks in a 175mm and felt them to long so i switched them out for my tried and true holzfeler's.

skaterqwertyuiop
    Quote Originally Posted by retrofred View Post
    truvativ holzfeler otc 2.2 is what i have and have been using for a while now. good solid crank and fairly light. the key question is how much are you looking to spend? my spec enduro came sram cranks in a 175mm and felt them to long so i switched them out for my tried and true holzfeler's.
    My issue is that I have to be able to get the crank, bash, and chain guide for under $160 or so.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to go with the SLX's. I'll post an update (with pics) once I get and install the crank... which may not be for a few weeks, considering i'm a slightly employed teenager. Meaning on and off work of varying hours.

skaterqwertyuiop
    DoublePost.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the have the cranks from spec enduro just sitting in my garage. i was going to put them for sale. their 175mm dually with a bash and i have a blackspire stinger that i was going to put on friends bike, but he wants to a full single ring ghain guide. it's a great set up, just cranks are to long for my liking

skaterqwertyuiop
    retrofred PM sent.

DH.FR.0ne
    Im running the Ruktion on my AM bike, mainly because I was on a budget when I bought it. Its very strong and reliable but the Howitzer XR bb sucks. I had nothing but problems with it, constantly having to retighten it. I swapped it out for an FSA platinum and its great.
    As its in your budget I would recommend it- you'll never have to replace the cranks.

Also check out FSA moto (love mine on my DH bike), Raceface and Gap cranksets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast