rebmem rbtm

Crank Brothers Mallet C Pedals

Hi gys,
    been thinking about buying a pair of these, are these good pedals??

IŽd like to have cleats for long distances but also being able to have platforms to use in steep descents... is this the right pedal?

mtbr member
    Dont see why not.
    They're not too pricy, and just as capable as the likes of their Shimano etc competitors.
    Chances are you'lle change them in the next year anyway, so go for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I owned a pair of Mallet C's for a couple of years, before giving up on them.

If you are familiar with the Crank Bros. "eggbeater" system, and you like it, then by all means, go for it. Also, they don't clog up with mud, like some clipless mtb pedals do. If this is your first time with clipless pedals, I'd recommend a decent SPD (Shimano) based system.

The non adjustability of the release tension was what had me selling them off. Also, the feel/difficulty of release is different, depending which side (narrow or wide) of the "beater" is at the front of your cleats. Some will dispute that, but I could tell the difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I've had a totally different experience from bikedreamer. I find that the Crank Brothers pedals are easier to get out of than Shimano pedals. I also find that when riding on my DH bike the don't accidentally release like the Shimanos. I suspect that if bikedreamer was having a harder time getting out he had shoe/pedal interference. I have found the the plain Eggbeater pedals don't provide much support. The Mallets are great but I think the Acid pedals are the best combo all around as they weigh less, have almost as much platform and are thinner. I have found the Mallets to be much more durable than the plain Eggbeater or Candy pedals. I am still on my original bushing and bearing on my Mallets. They are at least 5 years old and have been on each of my DH bikes.
    Buy them. You won't be disappointed.

S&G CREW
    Feb 2008
    I like the mallets but they do clog with mud if its got a lot of clay in it but than again anything would get clogged and they do get interference with some shoes.I was able to release out of them with almost the same quickness as my shimanos but that was with worn shoes,with my new shoes well im alot slower but i just need to shave some parts down when i get time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I ride the Mallet 2's which is essentially the same pedal, I find them very easy to clip in and out of. They have taken a pretty good beating and still work great. I use them with Shimano M087 shoes and I dont have any problem with shoe/pedal interference like some folks are talking about. Also, depending on which way you set the cleats up it takes more twist to get your foot out this is easily adjutable and the pedals come with the instructions of how to set them up for a quicker release.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire View Post
    ... I suspect that if bikedreamer was having a harder time getting out he had shoe/pedal interference....
    Possible, but I used them with two or three different pairs of shoes. I had the guys at the lbs shave down the soles on one pair with a dremel tool to create enough clearance. Possible that I simply had a faulty pair of pedals - the strength of the springs in them was formidible.

Looks like everyone else has had no issues with them. I have a friend who swears by his Candy pedals. I may be the odd one out. :shrug:

rebmem rbtm
    Well these babies arrived today

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire View Post
    I've had a totally different experience from bikedreamer. I find that the Crank Brothers pedals are easier to get out of than Shimano pedals. I also find that when riding on my DH bike the don't accidentally release like the Shimanos. I suspect that if bikedreamer was having a harder time getting out he had shoe/pedal interference. I have found the the plain Eggbeater pedals don't provide much support. The Mallets are great but I think the Acid pedals are the best combo all around as they weigh less, have almost as much platform and are thinner. I have found the Mallets to be much more durable than the plain Eggbeater or Candy pedals. I am still on my original bushing and bearing on my Mallets. They are at least 5 years old and have been on each of my DH bikes.
    Buy them. You won't be disappointed.
    +1. i was on eggbeaters but bent them on a rock, switched to shimanos, then in short order switched to acids which have been awesome. i just could not get used to the spd feel after starting with cb. the one negative i have (and it may just be me and my crappy form) is that when i am really pushing it in a corner and using some body english sometimes i release. but overall awesome pedals. mallets wont work very good as flats though.

mtbr member
    If mallet pedals clog with mud, nothing will work. Until recently I used mallets exclusively, they clipped in or out in mud and snow without fail. I use eggbeaters on the road bike in winter because road pedals are useless around these parts when conditions freeze up. CB may be experiencing a lapse in quality control recently as myself and many others have posted here on mtbr, but YMMV. I recently went back to shimano dhx mainly because I needed to replace my shoes. I prefer a stiff, real rubber soled shoe that works with platform clipless, the only option I could find were shimano am45's, as much as I tried the mallets would just not work at all with them. The dhx's work like I remember but their performance in mud is still nowhere in the same ballpark as the mallets. Spring tension isn't adjustable but the cleats have a mark on them, depending which one you install on which foot alters the release/ clip in ease, just read the directions, it ain't rocket science.

mtbr member
    Used them before I got my 5.10s. Never clogged up with mud, no adjustability but I never had trouble clipping/unclipping. Should work well with a pedal on the likes of the Vans Warner or 5.10 Hellcat SPD (I used regular xc shoes, always wanted to try grippy flat spd shoes..)