Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    that's another issue, the outer seal is round and expected to form to the shape of the inner post, which it can never do completely. i'm not saying it will be an issue but it's not ideal imo.
    The base of the outer seal is round since the lower post is round, but take a closer look at the seal (the part sticking up) it self. It does indeed contour the shape of the telescoping part of the post.

Last edited by e-luder; 03-06-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    Whats this line for?

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Separating this post from my above comment because it is not directed at anyone in particular.

The posters of this site at times seem to be all knowing of stuff they havent used. I am not saying this post will not break, maybe it will. Other than the pictures and videos I have seen on the internet I have no experience with this seat post. I personally wont being trying it anytime soon as I already have a reliable mechanical dropper post. But if my post fails this post does sound promising at the very least it's a step in the right direction.

I just find it silly that when new products come out it is either the next coming of christ (ex. Yeti SB-66) or absolut sh*t (ex. this seatpost), and all of this is determind from some pictures or words seen on your computer screen.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Looks nice but i wish it had some offset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin's Dad View Post
    Badger, you don't like CB. Got it. Also got that your opinion is not based on your experience but on that of others. Everyone you know has broken a CB product. Sounds realistic... Also, don't know why you're referring to trust in your post. I spoke only of my experience with their products, unlike you. That is not trust. However, I now have trust in CB based on my experience. Also, if you would, please post the name of the dropper posts out there that never had a problem, especially in the first or second generation. BTW, I am a UW grad so I, too, am a Badger. Take care.
    Am I The Only One Who Is Breaking Crank Bros. Pedals Constantly?

3 pages of people busting tons and tons of CB pedals. It happens extremely frequently, I dont know how people can deny it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Needs a foam seal on the inside (perhaps there is one?)
    If not, water and dirt can get past the rubber seal, no doubt.
    According to fox it's good practice to turn the bike upside-down for about 15' once every week to lubricate the fork seals.
    Would be useful for the seatpost to get rid of the water inside...
    Killing two flies with one blow!

mtbr member

You got me...

Quote Originally Posted by Devin's Dad View Post
    Badger, you don't like CB. Got it. Also got that your opinion is not based on your experience but on that of others. Everyone you know has broken a CB product. Sounds realistic... Also, don't know why you're referring to trust in your post. I spoke only of my experience with their products, unlike you. That is not trust. However, I now have trust in CB based on my experience. Also, if you would, please post the name of the dropper posts out there that never had a problem, especially in the first or second generation. BTW, I am a UW grad so I, too, am a Badger. Take care.
    Well...you are correct. My opinion is based on my experience...not using their products (correct), but watching my friends deal with their broken CB prodcuts. I am too scared to even try the CB stuff. The cost to potential frustration ratio is just too much for me. Just my choice based on my experiences watching friends.

Really...not trying to be exceptional or cause a scene, but every single person I know who has owned a CB prodcut has experienced a failure of some sort. No kidding. Not trying to be dramatic.

Not sure I mentioned anything about any other dropper posts? Mine is a Thomson...with a QR seat clamp. No problemo! ;-)

I guess that I shouldn't have derailed the thread with my comment about trust. I don't even know what I was trying to get at other than making a comment about how I cannot trust a company with their reputation for failed products. It would be different if the failures were for one year, or relegated to one particular model. But they aren't. Every year. Many seatposts' and many pedals' designs.

I do like how their prodcuts look, though. I just don't trust them and therefore won't buy.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    SOME GOOD NEWS for Joplin owners! I emailed CB and asked if I could get some credit for my J4 that keeps breaking! This is the reply:

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail and interest in crankbrothers.

Our new Kronolog post will only become available towards the end of March/beginning of April as we have a lot of pre orders to fill with some of our dealers.

We will also be offering an upgrade program if you were interested in trading in your Joplin post for one of our new Kronolog posts. This is also something that will only become available in a few months from now when the posts become more readily available. We have also not determined the upgrade price, so check back in a few months from now and I'm sure we'll have more information regarding this.

Thanks

Anka Martin

Hopefully its a pretty good trade in discount!!!
    Damn, thanks for sharing. Looks like I might be in the market for two of these things then. One to replace my wife's Joplin and one for my dropper-less bike.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

re member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-luder View Post
    The base of the outer seal is round since the lower post is round, but take a closer look at the seal (the part sticking up) it self. It does indeed contour the shape of the telescoping part of the post.

Exactly. It looks to me like if you held the seal in your hand and held it up and looked through it, it would be shaped like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

mtbr member
    SOME GOOD NEWS for Joplin owners! I emailed CB and asked if I could get some credit for my J4 that keeps breaking! This is the reply:

Hello,

Our new Kronolog post will only become available towards the end of March/beginning of April as we have a lot of pre orders to fill with some of our dealers.

We will also be offering an upgrade program if you were interested in trading in your Joplin post for one of our new Kronolog posts. This is also something that will only become available in a few months from now when the posts become more readily available. We have also not determined the upgrade price, so check back in a few months from now and I'm sure we'll have more information regarding this.

Thanks

Anka Martin

nice

mtbr member

Hello,

Thanks

Anka Martin

Ive had a Joplin for about 6 months and I would certainly be interested in some kind of upgrade program. Cant say Im a huge fan of it so far. Ive never owned another CB product so I cant comment on anything but my own experience. The Joplin seat clamp design is my biggest issue, as the angle of my seat is ever-changing while on a ride. No matter how tight I get the bolt. After talking with someone at CB, who advised me to grease the cups of the seat clamp, it helped a bit, but still moves around ocassionally.

Lately the Joplin has developed some vertical play at the top of its travel. Maybe about an inch or so. But not always. Ill be out on a ride, and it will be moving up and down. Then 20 minutes later, without making any adjustments, it is solid again. I really dont get it.

Anyways, tl;dr version: not a fan of the Joplin. I hope that the Kronolog is better and they offer a good upgrade program.

mtbr member
    I wonder if that silver plate that has the horizontal notching in it is made of steel and if it is replaceable. Seems like the locking rings would eventually mark it or chew it up. Or maybe that's the purpose of it: to take the abuse that softer aluminum wouldn't?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I wonder if that silver plate that has the horizontal notching in it is made of steel and if it is replaceable. Seems like the locking rings would eventually mark it or chew it up. Or maybe that's the purpose of it: to take the abuse that softer aluminum wouldn't?
    It must be steel, hopefully replaceable. Aluminum would not last.

I speculate the locking rings, and silver plate will wear over time causing fore/aft play to develop, whatever it's made of. This interface also seems like an inner post contamination problem waiting to happen.
    Last edited by AndyN; 03-07-2012 at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So my LBS called Crankbrothers today and they said that they are only being distributed by Highway Two. They should arrive in the states late March or early april. Hopefully I'll get mine sooner rather than later. As I said earlier will post up my early experience with it when I get it. Keeping my fingers crossed it will be good.

mtbr member
    People complaining about the seal: Remember it is a mechanical post, not hydraulic.

Unless enough crap gets through to jam the mechanism it should work (though perhaps not well) even if it is half full of dirt/water/whatever. The fact that it even has a seal should prevent any real problems.
    Even the damper probably doesn't need a great seal, since it's not keeping your weight up, just preventing unwanted genital injury.

Obviously its tolerance of abuse is going to depend on the internal design and tolerances, but I'm crossing my fingers that the designers are not complete morons.

Edit: Wait, its air sprung? Well disregard the above then. Still interested though.
    Last edited by cerebroside; 03-07-2012 at 07:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Crank Brother products sucks balls ......

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Beware of the composite bridge that is used to keep the seat rails apart. It is very easy to bend and snap if it is not perfectly in the centre. I wonder why CB didn't use an alloy bridge like on the rest of their posts....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Wow, deja-vu... Personally i'd rather have one of these:

Nice Mantis
    Niner WFO | Transition Double | Pivot Firebird

Grams Light Bikes
    Yes, their track record hasn't been promising, but until this is tried and tested over time, this is all conjecture? It looks like an interesting design, lets leave it at that for now. I know Lee Lau can't wait to test one, right Lee?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Am I The Only One Who Is Breaking Crank Bros. Pedals Constantly?

3 pages of people busting tons and tons of CB pedals. It happens extremely frequently, I dont know how people can deny it.
    Can we separate the CB complaints and the Kronolog discussion? Please? Thanks

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by martinizer View Post
    Looks nice but i wish it had some offset.
    + 1 : wishing for an offset version.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    when is cannondale going to step up and make a dropper post using lefty tech/
    Well, Cannondale is pretty much in bed with RockShox. Their Lefty internals are by them, kind of. So, Cannondale will probably just sit behind them.

The basic idea behind the Lefty (I'm a Lefty fan boy) is just needle bearing running along a tube with flat spots. Zero torsion flex and very little force to get the shock to move. (makes it very plush on high speed small bumps)
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

g3h6o3
    Does any "insider" know the max insertion length of the post? That would be the measure from the bottom up to the protrusion where the cable enters.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Any ideas on what saddle that was in the video?
    I have been wondering about the saddle too. It kind of reminds me of a WTB Silverado but looks to have a way longer nose. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    Does any "insider" know the max insertion length of the post? That would be the measure from the bottom up to the protrusion where the cable enters.
    According to vitalmtb to get all 5 inches of trail you need 8.75 inches of seat post shooting from the top of your clamp to the bottom of your seat rails.

And the total post length is 405mm or ~15.9" according to pink bike.

That leaves ~7.15 inches of post.

I would say it would be fair to guess that the mechanism takes up about 2" and the seat clamp takes up .75.

First Look: Crankbrothers Kronolog Height-Adjustable Seatpost - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    Post the question on the mini review that Francis did for this site?

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast