Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    It moves a mm or so... Let's not be dramatic.

I have 2 of their post and they are working great.
    I'm glad you like your post. I liked mine too, before it started slipping to the point that I did notice it but that is neither here nor there. I am not trying to talk you out of liking your post but would you mind if you had a "fixed seat post" and it dropped a mm or so while you rode your bike?

That is my point. When it isn't being adjusted, it is supposed to act like a fixed seat post. If a fixed seat post moved a mm or so, most people would consider that to be a faulty product. If it doesn't bother you then that is good, but I as a rider like for my bike settings to stay where I set them.
    1990 Schwinn Sierra MOS
    2011 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    2012 Cannondale Claymore 2

mtbr member
    It only moves 1 mm in the fully extended position. Adjust the seat post QR correctly and no problem... To reiterate, no 1mm drop in any other position.

mtbr member
    Wanted to check in and see how the V2 people were doing. My V1 was a slipper, but performance was overall more solid than the 2 Lev's I've had. I can live with 1-2mm of vertical give, so long as the post goes up and down consistently. Looks like the V2 aren't available anywhere right now - did they improve that much?

mtbr member
    Same features as V1 but they increased the size of the plate/lock (don't know part name) from 5mm to 10mm. End result is a much stronger/more durable mechanism. They also now include a neoprene sock that protects the post from dirt/etc. I have two, one has a year of problem free service. The other is only a month into duty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LB412 View Post
    Same features as V1 but they increased the size of the plate/lock (don't know part name) from 5mm to 10mm. End result is a much stronger/more durable mechanism. They also now include a neoprene sock that protects the post from dirt/etc. I have two, one has a year of problem free service. The other is only a month into duty.
    Mind if I ask where you bought them? I'm having trouble finding any online at the shops I frequent.

mtbr member
    I bought the second when I saw it on sale 6-8 months ago. Just now have the frame to put it on.

I actually need one for my wife's bike and I have not been able to locate either. Crank Bro won't quote delivery either which makes me think they may have a true update in the works.

mtbr member

Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost

I just sent mine back in because it was slipping a lot in mid stroke. This is my second time sending it in. The first time it lasted 6 mos. This time it lasted a year. We'll see what I get back from CB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi guys,

I just ordered a kronolog from a german site (bike24) at a very good price, and i wanted to ask, is there a way i can tell if it is the V2 (i presume this means version 2, the new one made in 2014) or the original ? From what i searched around i could not find any visual differences. The site says it is made in 2014, but i don't know ...

Thank you.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Not 100% sure about it but when I got my V2 back from CB, it had a neoprene sock that covers the quill shaft and seat bracket that keeps dirt and junk from getting on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is my internet broken or what, but i just went to CB website and did not find Kronolog anymore, only some accessories to it, but not as a complete item?

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    I noticed the same a while back. They must have ditched it.

My V2 is still going strong. Just pulled it all apart a week or so ago for maintenance and cleaned it all out and regreased the guts. Nice smooth operation and the quill is still in great shape.

mtbr member
    Their entire production run is now going to warranty claims. It was just a matter of time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is this something you know or guessing ? If that is true, oh my...
    Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    Their entire production run is now going to warranty claims. It was just a matter of time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuri View Post
    Is this something you know or guessing ? If that is true, oh my...
    Just joking. I have no idea.

mtbr member

I recently got a brand new replacement for my third warranty claim...started sagging again within a week.

I chose a Reverb for my new bike. So far, so good after 4 mos. We'll see how it does long-term.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronski View Post
    LOL! I've been a pretty big supporter of the post but considering the past, this is pretty hilarious. Chiclets for you.

mtbr member
    Lol. We're closing in on 100,000 views to this thread. Brutal!

mtbr member

Spring

I suggested the spring to them what seems like a long time ago.. never did hear back.
    What spring did you use?
    I'm waiting to put the spring I have on once it starts to drop again going over rough stuff, but so far this one is holding up since April.
    night riding - it's an adiction

my bike gained weight
    I'm late to the party but wanted to order a beer and throw in my 2.

I too just noticed that the Kronolog is no longer on the CB website. There is no mention of it other than some maintenance stuff, but even there the actual instructions with images is gone. What they have refers to images that aren't there...

I've been running the Krono for about 16 months and I'm on my second one. The first one died one day where it lost pressure and would not come back up. Crank Bros sent me a new one right away. No problem. I've had this one now since December 2013 and from the descriptions on this thread, it looks like a v2. Within a few weeks it developed a little teensy bit of play in the stanchion. My old Gravity Dropper did this, and the Thomson post a friend rides does this. The only ones that don't among my normal riding group is KS.
    This play would not be an issue for me except it's gotten worse, and now it's creaking like hell. The seat feels squirmy while climbing, even. It's about 3-4mm back an forth, and maybe 5 rotationally. Really no good.
    But my very least favorite thing about this post is that ridiculous single-bolt T25 clamp. I've run a lot of posts over the years, and I've never had to carry a torque wrench around to adjust any of them until now. Why in the world would CB use this single bolt, and why a Torx? I've stripped the ends off of six T25 wrenches in a year. "You should have torqued it to spec!" you say? Really? At 12nm this thing rocks with every hit, and the seat slides around in the clamp. It takes more like 18nm to lock it in place. And even at 12, the clamp then won't move from the post head. So again, the seat moves with riding forces, but won't move so I can adjust it. It knocked out of position last night, but even once I removed the bolt, the clamps held tight and I couldn't move them back into place. And had I been able to, I was only carrying a multitool (CB, with the T25, natch) which in no way would have allowed me to tighten this correctly. I made do and cut the ride short.

So while I still have this thing on my bike (as I'm planning to replace it with the KS or Thomson), anyone have any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBiggs View Post
    So while I still have this thing on my bike (as I'm planning to replace it with the KS or Thomson), anyone have any suggestions?
    I've owned the Joplin, Kronolog and Reverb. Have tried the Thomson. Currently own the KS Lev.
    I recently bought a FOX DOSS and it is by far my favourite. A hugely under-appreciated dropper post.
    Absolutely bullet-proof, smooth and very robust.
    I think the partial drop feature (40mm) is a game-changer. It is the perfect height for when you don't need full down but want a lower post for technical manoeuvres. Low enough to add a huge sense of confidence but high enough to still pedal well. Yes you can get that lower drop with the Lev, Reverb. Thomson but I really like the ability to instantly get in that sweet spot.
    I understand how the lever is an issue to some. That said, If you're running a 1x (and use it where you would the front shifter) then it is PERFECT. Acrually the best of all the levers I've tried.

my bike gained weight
    Thanks -- what I meant though was suggestions about the Kronolog and the issues described. I have a friend selling his KS Lev so I'll be replacing the Krono with it, but it would be nice to find some workarounds with the Kronolog as well. Especially with the clamp issues.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Regarding the clamp issue....been there, done that, talked to the techs about it. That bolt has 2 circleclips holding it in place. Remove those and remove the bolt. light grease the back of each bolt head, the part that mates against the clamp. Reassemble. Apparently this allows the bolt head to rotate more freely. The opposite side is indexed in place, IIRC. Torquing is more effective and the clamp should lock the seat into position. I found the fix was a successful solution but no matter what you do, that frikkin' clamp will seize in place making adjustment a PITA, including requiring a dead-blow hammer to get the stupid thing off the quill when you need to disassemble it. That was indeed a piss-poor design. Talk about reinventing the wheel!

I'm considering the KS LEV for a replacement but even those were not without their own problems for a while, there. It's a clean install, though. My Krono just won't die so it might be a while....we'll see if I didn't just jinx myself!

mtbr member
    Looks to me like Crank Brothers finally decided to cut bait on this poorly thought out product. When the thing worked correctly, it was a decent drop post but I have serious doubts Crank Brothers put in the actual time testing this product they claimed that they did before they put it out into the market. This thing should have had in house testing as well as giving it to some professionals and weekend warrior types to test it out in the wild. If they had done that, they would have immediately uncovered the persistent problems that plagued buyers. This was the first bike product I have ever bought that failed so quickly (within a week) and so completely (three different posts--all failed).

If you think I am too picky and judging Crank Brothers too harshly, consider this. I bought a LEV after trading in my Kronolog for store credit and have had no major problems with that seat post. I then bought another LEV for my other bike and have had no major problems with that seat post either. In fact, the only minor problem I have had with either of them is the seat clamp can occasionally loosen up but that can either be solved with carbon paste or by checking the seat for any looseness on a regular basis and tightening the screws.

I say good riddance to this P.O.S but am sorry for you people that stuck it out and tried to make this thing work. Crank Brothers has its detractors and in my opinion, that is for good reason. When the first buyers like me complained this thing was defective, we were told it was our fault because we were unable to install it correctly. Blaming your customers for mistakes made during conception and implementation of a product is a bad idea.
    1990 Schwinn Sierra MOS
    2011 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    2012 Cannondale Claymore 2

mtbr member
    JP, excellent reply and exactly my experience. My Kronolog failed multiple times, and had a pathetic seat attachment. I now own 5 KS Lev's between my sweetie and myself. This should serve as a cautionary tale to KS however. Their customer service is very poor and they have shown no intention of improving their seat attachment design, which also has some faults, though none fatal like on the Kronolog. I hope they are listening.
    Last edited by ronski; 3 Days Ago at 07:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Seems like there is no one single dropper post that would be without issues.
    Been thinking to buy new Thomson covert, havent read any reviews about it but i guess it has some issues too. How hard it can be to build proper one.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23