Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by spaightlabs View Post
    Thinkin' about giving a Kronolog a try, that or the Giant...I'd like the Kronolog more for $200...gotta be a group buy somewhere?
    you want a discount on a product that isn't even out yet? the reverb has been out for years and you'd be lucky to find it for $250 or less (new).
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Any ideas on what saddle that was in the video?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    kronolog? IKEA.
    name-mocking aside, i've had no prob w/cb products. that being said, i've had dropper posts and would rather spend my money elsewhere on my bike.

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    when is cannondale going to step up and make a dropper post using lefty tech/
    Headshok bearings is just overkill for this application and requires a very long post to acheive the amount of travel common in the market. Who needs supple respone on a seatposy? And a boot is absolutely mandatory...

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Looks pretty promising to me.
    Whats this line for?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    you want a discount on a product that isn't even out yet? the reverb has been out for years and you'd be lucky to find it for $250 or less (new).
    Yes. That's just me - that's my pain threshold for an unproven dropper. I know - I can want into one hand and poop into the other and see which one fills up faster....

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    Headshok bearings is just overkill for this application and requires a very long post to acheive the amount of travel common in the market. Who needs supple respone on a seatposy? And a boot is absolutely mandatory...
    i was getting at their stanchion design that doesn't seem to develop play like a typical dropper post
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This looks interesting... better wait a few months though. I wonder if you can under-sling the lever, it is dangerously exposed?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I find haters interesting. You find them in all walks of life and on lots of topics. They perpetuate ideas that usually are not their own or borne of their own experiences. I have lots of Crank Brothers products. I have 3 sets of wheels, Iodine's on my trail bike, Opium's on my DH bike and a pair of Sage; 3 pairs of bars, 2 alum. and 1 carbon; 2 pairs of pedals; 3" and 4" Joplin post; Iodine stem; baseline gear bag and the 19 funct.multi-tool. I am 190 lbs and I ride aggressively on rocky terrain primarily in the Phoenix area but I do travel to ride as well. I have been riding MTB for over 20 years. I raced BMX for many years and rode motocross for over 20 years. I am very qualifed bike mechanic as I have been doing for even longer. ALL THAT SAID, THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE HAD WITH ANY CRANK BROTHERS PRODUCT WAS A BAD FREE WHEEL. And, their warranty department was stellar in getting me a new one. I have had WAY more problems with Mavic and other hubs and just try to get their warranty dept. on the phone. I am rambling on because I hate to see small companies get bashed because of haters perpetuating rumor. People have all kinds of problems with all kinds of MTB products. It's a sport that is tough on the equipment. However, you don't hear about people bashing other component companies for the sake of bashing. Don't be a simpleton and speak of others' experiences you heard about from a friends' brothers' cousins' neighbor. Speak of your own experience. If you choose to purchase a Crank Brothers product and compare it to comparable items in it's class, I think you'll be as stoked as I am.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    There's also the fact that they have a long history of taking an apple/i-product "form over function" approach to design; that's a nice way of saying it... it sure looks like they employ more artists than engineers.
    Every Apple product I've had has been both beautifully designed and EXTREMELY functional.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Nope. Not me. I am a CB hayta. Will never own a product. I won't try and deny my disdain, and am probably bashing for the sake of bashing. Hate on that if you like.

I am interested less in haters and more in the psychology of folks who are so trusting. Trusting isn't bad...I just find it hard to trust a company like CB, even if they have good service. Good service does not equal well-engineered products. Trek also has great CS (meaning that they frequently warranty broken frames). I won't buy their stuff anymore because it breaks. I don't want an updated warranty model...I want the product I buy to last under reasonable use.

EVERY SINGLE person I know has broken a CB product at some point. Pedals are most common, but those dropper posts have always been a failing prodcut in my experience. Sure, they can be fixed and they have a great warranty and customer service, BUT...man. For my money, the time and hassle spent messing with broken pedals and seatposts just ain't worth it.

I will keep my Shimano pedals and Thomson post. Old faithful.
    Last edited by badgermtb; 03-06-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling...

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    I have to say I like the look of the Kronolog. But there is one "but":
    Does the inner tube have small grooves in it? It sure looks that way to me, and if so: Doesn't that mean that dirt will collect in these grooves and be transported into the internals of the post every time it is lowered?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by langen View Post
    Does the inner tube have small grooves in it? It sure looks that way to me, and if so: Doesn't that mean that dirt will collect in these grooves and be transported into the internals of the post every time it is lowered?
    I don't think so. Not sure what you're looking at in the picture you posted but the things that look like grooves in the side facing us aren't grooves. That side is rounded. The other two sides are flat (and smooth) if I'm understanding the descriptions and pictures correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I don't think so. Not sure what you're looking at in the picture you posted but the things that look like grooves in the side facing us aren't grooves. That side is rounded. The other two sides are flat (and smooth) if I'm understanding the descriptions and pictures correctly.
    they sure look like grooves/notches to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by langen View Post
    The white strip is used for the latching/clamping mechanism that holds the post up at the desired height. I'm sure it's not air/water tight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    they sure look like grooves/notches to me.
    Oh. Those horizontal grooves. Hmm. Yeah, might be an issue.

On a closer inspection.... there are slight vertical grooves on the corner where the rounded edge meets the flat edge too. I guess if they make the outer tube and seals the same shape it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Still can't imagine it sealing as well as a simple round tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Crank Brothers Kronolog Adjustable Seatpost-crank-kronolog-12.jpg  

mtbr member
    5 years on the same set of Acids, 4 years on the same set of 5050's, zero problems with either of them. 200+ days of riding a year in the Sierras and Northern Nevada, not the most forgiving landscape...I guess I just got lucky, or I make up sh!t on the internet too gain mythical respect from other idiots...one of the two.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'l probably suck it up and get one. It'll be my first dropper and if/when it breaks i can ride the thomson while it gets repaired/replaced. Breaks more than once in 2 seasons and the second replacement goes on ebay...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just went to my LBS to put a deposit on one. They are gonna order it in the morning as long as they can get their hands on one. Will post up a review after I take it out a few times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Oh. Those horizontal grooves. Hmm. Yeah, might be an issue.

On a closer inspection.... there are slight vertical grooves on the corner where the rounded edge meets the flat edge too. I guess if they make the outer tube and seals the same shape it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Still can't imagine it sealing as well as a simple round tube.
    that's another issue, the outer seal is round and expected to form to the shape of the inner post, which it can never do completely. i'm not saying it will be an issue but it's not ideal imo.

re member
    Even if they don't hit it out of the park with this one, I think it's a step in the right direction, getting away from hydraulic and going to mechanical.

Also, by looking at the picture, it doesn't look to me like they just 'squeezed' a round seal on to that stanchion. It looks to me like they actually manufactured a seal with two flat sides that mates up with the stanchion.
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

mtbr member
    The base of the seal is round. I'd say it's a round seal.

I like the idea of a mechanical dropper and this looks pretty nice. I haven't joined the seat dropper crowd yet but think I might sometime this summer.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Even if they don't hit it out of the park with this one, I think it's a step in the right direction, getting away from hydraulic and going to mechanical.
    I Absolutely agree. The concept and principle of operation hold much promise.

mtbr member
    SOME GOOD NEWS for Joplin owners! I emailed CB and asked if I could get some credit for my J4 that keeps breaking! This is the reply:

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail and interest in crankbrothers.

Our new Kronolog post will only become available towards the end of March/beginning of April as we have a lot of pre orders to fill with some of our dealers.

We will also be offering an upgrade program if you were interested in trading in your Joplin post for one of our new Kronolog posts. This is also something that will only become available in a few months from now when the posts become more readily available. We have also not determined the upgrade price, so check back in a few months from now and I'm sure we'll have more information regarding this.

Thanks

Anka Martin

Hopefully its a pretty good trade in discount!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by badgermtb View Post
    Nope. Not me. I am a CB hayta. Will never own a product. I won't try and deny my disdain, and am probably bashing for the sake of bashing. Hate on that if you like.

I am interested less in haters and more in the psychology of folks who are so trusting. Trusting isn't bad...I just find it hard to trust a company like CB, even if they have good service. Good service does not equal well-engineered products. Trek also has great CS (meaning that they frequently warranty broken frames). I won't buy their stuff anymore because it breaks. I don't want an updated warranty model...I want the product I buy to last under reasonable use.

EVERY SINGLE person I know has broken a CB product at some point. Pedals are most common, but those dropper posts have always been a failing prodcut in my experience. Sure, they can be fixed and they have a great warranty and customer service, BUT...man. For my money, the time and hassle spent messing with broken pedals and seatposts just ain't worth it.

I will keep my Shimano pedals and Thomson post. Old faithful.
    Badger, you don't like CB. Got it. Also got that your opinion is not based on your experience but on that of others. Everyone you know has broken a CB product. Sounds realistic... Also, don't know why you're referring to trust in your post. I spoke only of my experience with their products, unlike you. That is not trust. However, I now have trust in CB based on my experience. Also, if you would, please post the name of the dropper posts out there that never had a problem, especially in the first or second generation. BTW, I am a UW grad so I, too, am a Badger. Take care.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast