mtbr member

Crank Brothers Joplin 4 sagging

So I recently bought a new intense tracer and I am still getting used to it. The biggest problem is that the seat post will drop anytime my a$$ bounces off of it. It mostly happens on climbs (when I really need the full length post), I will be hopping over something or rolling over a root and my backside will bounce up and then back down on the seatpost and the post will loose 1/2 to 3 inches. I have about four rides on this bike, and it is the remote version. I am a decent mechanic but I am new to these posts. Any help will be much appreciated. I scanned the massive adjustable seatpost thread but I didn't find what I was looking for.
    Live fast, Die young, Leave a good looking corpse!

74 & 29 pilot
    If you don't see any sign of oil coming out of it, then you may just need some air. On the bottom of the compression shaft, where the main 10mm nut is threaded on, there is a schrader valve hidden underneath a flat screw head. After you've taken the nut and the outer tube off, you can gain access to the valve. Use a shock pump to put more air in.

http://crankbrothers.com/support/pro...s_seatpost.pdf

I'll be back with the proper PSI when I find where I wrote it down on my tech manual.

Good Luck,

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

74 & 29 pilot
    Sorry mate,

I looked all over through my stuff, and can't find where I wrote the PSI # down. For some reason the number 65 is coming to mind, but no guarantee. Just give them a call and they can help you out; Highly doubt you can get a hold of them on a Sunday though.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Make sure it's not your saddle coming down on the cable post releasing it to drop.

mtbr member
    Sweet some great ideas here... I will let you know what I find.

mtbr member
    thanks again for the quick responses. Looks like it is the saddle hitting the release switch. You can see indents from the cable screw on the underside of the saddle. Thanks again.
    Ben

mtbr member
    Sweet, I had to switch to a WTB Rocket V in order to get enough height to prevent that. I have heard of others filling it down to prevent it as well.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman View Post
    Make sure it's not your saddle coming down on the cable post releasing it to drop.
    B14, glad you got the post issue sorted! When they work they are really a great add-on!
    Good call on that murchman. If the seat wasn't the problem I would've said check the cable tension on the remote ..if too tight it would release on it's own.
    Mpilot, FYI, the air pressure is about 70 psi...but that is only for the making the seatpost return and not to hold up it up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My Joplin was doing that when I first got it. Whenever I push down on it with my elbow, the seat would drop. But when i sat on it, it was firm. Drove me nuts trying to find out the problem. The bottom of the seat flex just enough to depress the release switch. So I carved out just enough plastic under the seat to clear the switch.

mtbr member
    I have been running a speedball post since 2006 before it was taken over by CB and now i'm running Joplin 4 since my new Mojo HD was a different size then my Enduro for a few months now. I have not yet once had a any failure on either post and i'm not a light or small guy 6'2 230lbs. Here are my tips:

Tip 1. Make sure you seat isn't bottoming on the release lever.

Tip 2. Only snug up the collar on the bottom shaft (gold ring) do not over tighten it as it will make it move up slow. check it every ride as it tends to loosen up

Tip 3. Do not over tighten your seat post clamp, use carbon assembly lube if your having slipping issues yes it works on alum. If you over tighten it your seat will not spring back up.

Tip 4. If it's not returning all the way and your seat clamp is not to tight, deep cycle the post a few times and it should fix it.

Biking Like Crazy!
    +1 .

Tired about all the bad vibes about the Joplin 4.
    Most of the problems people have with them could be in their set-up.
    That could be probably said about most complaints about everything
    posted on these forums tho!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    +1 .

Tired about all the bad vibes about the Joplin 4.
    I have a speedball and joplin 4 and they have been perfect except a few broken cables. That ring does loosen up and lets the seat bob.