Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Crank Brothers Candy Pedals...

Ok, I have a quesiton... I have never used Crank Bros pedals before but am thinking about switching to them to replace my venerable Onza H.O. convertible since they are no longer made and impossible to get parts for. Gonna go with the Candy I think. I like a pedal that has somewhat of a platform to them. I ride clipped in 95% of the time and not looking for a full platform but just something to give a stable place to put my foot when clipped out on real tricky parts. My question is, in looking at the many pics of the Candy pedals, I cant see how these can be described as have any platform at all since the clips stick up so far past the plastic platform, how would your shoe be touching this at all? Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    No. I ride these pedals and would never be comfortable riding them unclipped. Way too slippery.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Anyone else? What about the Acid pedals?

mtbr member
    The "platform" on the Candy's are meant to add a little bit of stability for more aggressive riding, but ARE NOT meant to be ridden unclipped. The Candy is basically just an "Egg Beater" with a little added support on the ball of the foot. If you want a TRUE platform and cleat/clip combo, try the Mallets (by Crank Bros.). But they are heavy. I've never ridden the Acids, but from what I've heard, they're just like the Candy's but with a longer platform for greater fore/aft support.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ok, I appreciate the input but as I stated, I'm NOT looking for a full platform. I have no use for the mallets. I simply want a pedal that will give some support for my shoe when my foot is unclipped for odd technical section when I dont want to be clipped in. My current pedal provides this but I would not ride it either unclipped for any amount of time. My question was, given the height of the crank bros springs, it looks like it is impossible for your shoe to even touch the pedal itself thus making everything they make (that is NOT a full platform like the mallets or 5050) basically just an eggbeater.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jolyrogr
    Ok, I appreciate the input but as I stated, I'm NOT looking for a full platform. I have no use for the mallets. I simply want a pedal that will give some support for my shoe when my foot is unclipped for odd technical section when I dont want to be clipped in. My current pedal provides this but I would not ride it either unclipped for any amount of time. My question was, given the height of the crank bros springs, it looks like it is impossible for your shoe to even touch the pedal itself thus making everything they make (that is NOT a full platform like the mallets or 5050) basically just an eggbeater.
    I think it depends on the shoe as well... I have Egg Beaters, Candys, and 50/50's... I'm on the fence about the Candys precisely for the concerns you have expressed. That being said, I do feel a bit more stable on the Candys. I've never tried the acids.

I would say Crank Borther's best pedal is the Egg Beaters. You may want to try elsewhere if you want more of a platform. Your best bet is to actually TRY these pedals, since there are a million different opinions floating around out there.

mtbr member
    the candy's are fine to just rest your foot on w/o being clipped in, as long as you are not trying to pedal while unclipped, you can pedal to a point(or at least i can) w/o being clipped in, but its harder than pedaling on platforms, but if you unclip only on downhills and just rest your feet on them they are fine (at least in my experience)
    I cant spell deal with it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    No. I ride these pedals and would never be comfortable riding them unclipped. Way too slippery.
    I agree. There tends to be alot of slippage between the cleat and the clipping mechanism. You're okay if you're just resting your feet on mellow trails, but on scary sections, these pedals won't help your confidence at all.

Bike to the Bone...
    Ok, I have a quesiton... I have never used Crank Bros pedals before but am thinking about switching to them to replace my venerable Onza H.O. convertible since they are no longer made and impossible to get parts for. Gonna go with the Candy I think. I like a pedal that has somewhat of a platform to them. I ride clipped in 95% of the time and not looking for a full platform but just something to give a stable place to put my foot when clipped out on real tricky parts. My question is, in looking at the many pics of the Candy pedals, I cant see how these can be described as have any platform at all since the clips stick up so far past the plastic platform, how would your shoe be touching this at all? Am I missing something?
    I had some Shimano 647 (DX) which I really like. I tried the Candy, and about 4 rides ditched them out and put the DX back in. The DX have a pretty good platform, and the Candy cage is like a joke, almost no platform at all. If you want crank brothers, try Mallets or Acid, they would have a usable platform. Give the DX some thought, they work pretty good.

MattSavage
    I just bought my first pair of Candy's... Not too stoked on them. Don't feel as solid in engagement and release as my Time Atac's, too much float as well. The "platform" isn't any better than the Times, either. It does help you find engagement well enough, but I definately wouldn't rely on it to help you through any sketchy situations disengaged....
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

What?
    I am interested in getting a pair of CB pedals. Are the cleats compatable with shimano pedals at all? Just spinning, not trail riding.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by chuk2rs
    I am interested in getting a pair of CB pedals. Are the cleats compatable with shimano pedals at all? Just spinning, not trail riding.
    No, you need new cleats.

Platforms For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
    but if you unclip only on downhills and just rest your feet on them they are fine (at least in my experience)
    I don't know about you, but if I unclipped on a downhill my feet would just fly off the pedals immediately. That is when I need grip the most.
    2008 GT Force 3.0
    2009 Bianchi Pista fixie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    I had some Shimano 647 (DX) which I really like. I tried the Candy, and about 4 rides ditched them out and put the DX back in. The DX have a pretty good platform, and the Candy cage is like a joke, almost no platform at all. If you want crank brothers, try Mallets or Acid, they would have a usable platform. Give the DX some thought, they work pretty good.
    +1 on the 647

I was using old toe clips and straps for years and then platforms with 5/10 shoes. Never rode a clipless pedal that I felt good with on technical rides. Until the 647.

My girlfriend had ancient Shimano pedals that worked fine for her but were beat. She tried Candy C pedals, and suddenly had problems getting hung up in odd places. She now rides the 647 pedals and really likes them a lot.

We are using the multi release cleat with our 647's. It lets you yank your foot off when you really need to. These pedals are so easy to get into, and have enough platform to make some pedal strokes if you miss the spot, and then just pull the foot back a bit and in they go. Getting out is done without any thought. It just happens. Other clipless pedal/cleat combos I tried had me thinking about them too much. I now ride any trail that I did with platforms, just as confidently, but I can climb up nasty stair steps much better.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I ride clipped in 95% of the time and not looking for a full platform but just something to give a stable place to put my foot when clipped out on real tricky parts.
    If you are unclipping in the technical sections and trying to "ride" on the pedal, you will fall. It means you don't have the confidence and probably lack the speed to do the section. These nasty technical sections are exactly where SPD/clipless pedals will help you and keep you stable on the bike, leaving you to let the bike "ride through", but if you unclip you instantly give yourself less control and stability. From experience, that's the way it goes. Unclipping becomes second nature.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    So I dug up this old thread to ask if anyone that owns who has used the Candy pedals thinks that a short <2mile ride (on sidewalk) is possible with that platform? I only have one bike and Im aiming to go clipless, but I still want to ride downtown this summer without having to put on the bike shoes..

Thanks.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnthomps08
    So I dug up this old thread to ask if anyone that owns who has used the Candy pedals thinks that a short <2mile ride (on sidewalk) is possible with that platform? I only have one bike and Im aiming to go clipless, but I still want to ride downtown this summer without having to put on the bike shoes..

Thanks.
    I think not. The cage thing is too small to be of any use. If you want to ride without shoes sometimes, try Mallets or Shimano 647.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I own CB Candy C's its uncomfortable to ride with normal shoes with these. However mune came with Plastic platform inserts that clip into the cage a pain to get in and out. Its not impossible to ride 2 miles uncliped but will be uncomfortable Im sure

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have the Candy's, but have made the switch back to flats. When I used them, I did ride around with them with regular shoes, up to 3-4 miles at most. With that said, it all depends on the shoe, the stiffness/thickness of the sole will play a big role on how comfortable you may feel. Either way, it works, but I'd only use it like that on pavement or something similar.

usually cranky
    if you want a minimal platform look at those shimanos with the plastic cage (forget what theyre called).

mtbr member
    If you want a good pair of clipless, go with TIME. CB 's are crap and I should know I have them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnthomps08
    So I dug up this old thread to ask if anyone that owns who has used the Candy pedals thinks that a short <2mile ride (on sidewalk) is possible with that platform?
    absolutely possible. not comfortable, but possible.

i rode SPD's up and down (paved) mountains at college, to and from class every day. eventually, you get good at it

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    and i agree with the others. skip the candys. not as easy to get in and out of compared to spds, imo

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by YaMon
    If you want a good pair of clipless, go with TIME. CB 's are crap and I should know I have them.

+11111111111111
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Pin it
    I run CB candys. The unclipped performance isn't an issue for me because I just stay clipped in unless I'm taking my foot off the pedal, otherwise I find it so much more secure clipped in. I don't think about unclipping anymore so it isn't an issue. I would never try to ride a tech section unclipped it just sounds so sketchy, especially on candys.

I broke a wing on my malletts and have quite a few friends who have broken their CB pedals as well. If you ride in rocky areas where you hit your pedals much I would look into another style of pedal (like Time's offerings).
    Last edited by GrantR; 04-06-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast