mtbr member

Crank Bros Joplin 4...

... I have yet to ever deal with one until today. I just put it on my bike and everything works well. But here's a question I haven't found an answer to yet-

When it's in the "dropped" position the seat isn't locked down. It seems like it's going to just come up and smack me in my junk. Is this normal???

74 & 29 pilot
    No.

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    No.

MTBP
    No it's not normal? Or no I'm not going to drill myself in the jewels???

"Dream like you'll live forever, but live like you'll die today."
    -James Dean

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What do you mean it's not locked down? In the down position, if you lift on the seat, it will come up. It won't come up by itself.
    Only the mechanical dropper posts will stay locked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    What do you mean it's not locked down? In the down position, if you lift on the seat, it will come up. It won't come up by itself.
    Only the mechanical dropper posts will stay locked.
    I was manual checking it after I put it together. I was standing to the side of my bike. With one hand I pulled the trigger and the other hand I slammed the seat down.

When it's down I can lift the seat up with my hand. It then drops back down when I left go of it. When I use the handlebar lever it pops back up and stays up...

-James Dean

Finally stateside again
    yes this is is totally normal. i know many people who when they first get on a dropper post the get a little sac tap the first few times the seat comes up.

as far as you pulling it up then it goes back down on its own. that normal as well. the seat preasure is in the neg at that time and should drop on its own. if you are pulling it at it stays up you might have some issues with the seat. my advice is its not good to pull up on it. its putting pressures on the hydrolics and it is a good way to break your seat. the joplins are pretty delicate

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    yes this is is totally normal. i know many people who when they first get on a dropper post the get a little sac tap the first few times the seat comes up.

as far as you pulling it up then it goes back down on its own. that normal as well. the seat preasure is in the neg at that time and should drop on its own. if you are pulling it at it stays up you might have some issues with the seat. my advice is its not good to pull up on it. its putting pressures on the hydrolics and it is a good way to break your seat. the joplins are pretty delicate
    Thanks. I'm new to the Joplin and I remember the gravity dropper staying down. I appreciate your help. Thanks

-James Dean

Finally stateside again
    no what the OP is saying is that he is worried its just going to spring up without him doing anything which it wont or shouldnt if working properly

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Does this mean that when the seat is in the lowered position it will slowly raise back up?
    I was under the impression that they stay in whatever position you put them in, as long as the dropper lever isn't touched...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benskinic View Post
    Does this mean that when the seat is in the lowered position it will slowly raise back up?
    I was under the impression that they stay in whatever position you put them in, as long as the dropper lever isn't touched...
    The seat stays lowered until I hit the button. BUT if it goes up freely when it is in the down position as it's not "stuck" down. So, in the down position the seat will come up if moved up from gravity (or by me pulling up on it) but then immediately drops back down again untitled it's raised permanently when the lever actuates it to "spring up" (which keeps it up even when for e is being pushed down)...

-James Dean

mtbr member
    I guess the easier way to ask is this- when your seat is in the "down" position, should the seat be "locked" in the down position??? Is it not supposed to move until the switch gets pulled to make it shoot UP in the "locked" position???

-James Dean

mtbr member
    I have a joplin, it will not go up unless you pull the trigger or Pull it up manually. Pulling it up when it is down puts air bubbles In it and will cause it to feel spongey so don't do it. Mine has never popped up without me pressing the remote joystick.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyHuynh View Post
    I have a joplin, it will not go up unless you pull the trigger or Pull it up manually. Pulling it up when it is down puts air bubbles In it and will cause it to feel spongey so don't do it. Mine has never popped up without me pressing the remote joystick.
    This. ^ If the post ever feels spongy, just cycle it up and down
    about ten times. That usually fixes that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I found a Joplin used for cheap, and he says it needs a bleed cuz it is Bobing. I looked at the manual and according to that and what you guys are saying is that you cycle it up and down a few times and it will be good. am I correct?

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazB View Post
    I found a Joplin used for cheap, and he says it needs a bleed cuz it is Bobing. I looked at the manual and according to that and what you guys are saying is that you cycle it up and down a few times and it will be good. am I correct?
    Probably. If it looks like it is leaking oil around the seal
    it could use a rebuild ($30 by Crank Bros.) .
    If it doesn't want to come back up very quickly or not
    at all, then you might need to add air (70psi) .
    But I would first try cycling the post 10 times.

CC might have an upgrade for that to the Kronolog also!.