mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Cracking carbon seat stay on 2007 Titus Racer X

Hi. I'm looking for advise on replacing cracked carbon seat stay on 2007 Titus Racer X. I got this bike with chain stay already replaced to aluminium due to crack. Drove on 3 great rides in SoCal and I just discovered seat stay cracking on both sides. Bummer since I really love this bike!.
    Any suggestion where I can get aluminium or Ti replacement?

Cracking carbon seat stay on 2007 Titus Racer X-titus-1-.jpgCracking carbon seat stay on 2007 Titus Racer X-titus-2-.jpgCracking carbon seat stay on 2007 Titus Racer X-titus-3-.jpgCracking carbon seat stay on 2007 Titus Racer X-titus-4-.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracking carbon seat stay on 2007 Titus Racer X-titus-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I think that Calfee could probably fix that for you.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah look at one of the carbon repair companies to see about getting it taken care of. Brother has the same bike and his bearing holes in the swing-arm have egged out to the point where he has had to replace the bearings twice in the last year. Shop that has done the repairs in the past finally told him that hey could JB weld (basically) one last bearing in place but it was time to look for a new bike. He has owned since new and absolutely loves it.

Feel for him but there comes a time when all things shall pass and from our workings, On-One/Titus has been less than helpful.

mtbr member
    I second getting in touch with Calfee.

If they can fix it they will give you a part that is an order of magnitude stronger than the original.

how heavy are you ??
    It's time to retire, cracks are on the regular now.

Sent from the UnderWorld via Nexus 6P 😜
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    This bike has maybe 15 rides total so is like new. For last 8 years was sitting in the garage and what's more important is/was riding great for me.
    Before I will consider new frame I want to see if there is option to get Al or Ti stay. From what i can see there were made that way too.
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Why would you ever want to ride a bike that had a broken chainstay and two broken seat stays in less than 20 rides? That sounds like a death trap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Reading posts about Titus Racer X one could see that there was issue with early carbon stays designe. This was corrected. And general opinion of this frame is hugely positive. I couldn't find anything negative about Al or Ti stays. And no comments about broken/cracked redesigned carbon stays.
    So if I can get replacement stay then I still have great bike. Using this bike on Black Canyon trail I beat my best time by 30 minutes with so much less energy used (that's with waiting for my partner to catch up with me on ascent). That much faster than on my old bike beeing in same lousy shape as on previous ride? You bet I want to keep this frame.
    I hope this answers why I want to keep it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You beat your best time by 30 minutes just from this bike? Did you ride your old bike with 2'flat tires, too?

This Titus was a nice bike back in the day, so can see why you like it. If Carbon repair is affordable I'd go that route first, at least call and get their opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I think that carbon repair is likely the only choice since new seat stays may be impossible to find for a bike that old.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    These bike are notorious for cracking rear stays. MBTR even went as far as saying the Titus FTM's were unsafe to ride . Since this uses a similar rear end and the original company is out of business, I would advise you to move to a different frame. Sucks that this happened, but it's not worth getting hurt over when it fails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Well, maybe I'm in better shape than last time🤣 but definitely bike has lots to do with time...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That seat stay looks like what came on the 2009 Titus X (which was similar to the troubled seat stay of the FTM). If so, that seat stay was not meant to go with the previous Racer X chain stay in your pictures.

If so, this is the seat stay you need:
    https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSTITSS...ay-gloss-black

And, if so, then this is the matching chain stay you need:
    https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSTITCS...ay-gloss-black

Maybe it's because of the mismatched pairing that stressed your seat stay into cracking.
    The rest of the bike isn't shown, to really know if you have an older carbon Racer X, or a newer carbon X, but the chain stay is from the older Racer X.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Hey, Im just the messenger, but your frame is a POS. Your fooling yourself, thinking you saved 30 minutes because of a clapped out, out of date, retro geometry frame. Stop being so stubborn, and hang that "awesome for you" frame on the wall before you hurt yourself by frame failure. You want to be a mountain bike rider? Well take some self responsibility and update some of your equipment, you may even find out you like a better frame better. Stubborn. Time waster. I hope you dont get hurt on that frame that has failed twice already.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I want to clarify: I'm looking for Al or Ti stay as replacement to carbon.

I don't pretend to be or aspire to be MTB serious biker. Just weekend trails within my abilities which are less than average
    Thx.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Agree with others... you got choices, buddy. Exercise this right. The Titus is now a wall ornament....

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miguelos View Post
    That seat stay looks like what came on the 2009 Titus X (which was similar to the troubled seat stay of the FTM). If so, that seat stay was not meant to go with the previous Racer X chain stay in your pictures.

If so, this is the seat stay you need:
    https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSTITSS...ay-gloss-black

And, if so, then this is the matching chain stay you need:
    https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FSTITCS...ay-gloss-black

Maybe it's because of the mismatched pairing that stressed your seat stay into cracking.
    The rest of the bike isn't shown, to really know if you have an older carbon Racer X, or a newer carbon X, but the chain stay is from the older Racer X.
    This is the key point here. The Titus Racer X was, and still is, a great bike and the rear end, which in 2007 was carbon seat stays and aluminum chain stays, was solid. This was the same set up found on the Moto-Lite. It was only until Titus came out with the FTM and the Titus X (no more Racer) that they started having big problems. In fact, it killed the company.

From the look of your bike, it seems someone has put on the later seat stays on the bike. The chain stays were always aluminum and if you replaced broken carbon with aluminum that could be your problem as miguelos has stated.

At this point, it might be very hard to find the correct replacement rear end. You might want to contact Bikerbob (BikerBob.com) to see if he has any old parts that could work. I would not recommend anything from the 2009 Titus X or X-lite bikes. Those "Lite Rail" ends snapped like twigs.

Making something new might cost more than the bike is worth. And even the replacement rear end (chain and seat stays) from on one are close to $400 - which is much more than the bike is worth. And those parts may not work on your 2007 bike. I know it is a tough decision if you really love the bike but it might be time to find another option.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Veapasianus, much nicer way to put it. The cost is the relevant issue. Dude, I would sell you MY older Turner, just so you dont fall off a cliff. J/k, not selling.

1 by 1 pixel?
    The sockets in the rocker are probably destroyed too
    All barks have been rendered into english...

how heavy are you ??
    Like the song says, let it go.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for all input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Apologies for taking this thread of topic, but I wonder if someone with a Titus Carbon X could provide me with the centre to centre distance of the little one piece rocker, that joins the seatstay to the seat tube?
    Also curious as to how this ended, did the op get it sorted?