mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Cove Handjob - possible AM setup? any thoughts? vs 456 Evo

hi, I am having a hard time picking a frame, living in the age of information overload and daily internet access makes it very difficult.
    any one have any thoughts on the Cove Handjob as a mix between all mountain setup for light downhills, small jumps and berms yet is comfortable for long 50-60 km days of variable trail riding as well? an all rounder that does everything well but not exceptional at either one discipline. I am about 182 cm and am thinking about the 19.5" size or my other option is the 456 Evo in 18".

thanks.

mtbr member
    what about chromag? i'd personally lean towards anything with at least a 44mm headtube and a 30.9 or 31.6mm seat tube diameter. you want the ability to run a tapered fork and a dropper post in the future. sadly that leaves out the 456 as it's 1 1/8" and 27.2mm i believe. looks like the handjob is the same.

i'd look at a chromag stylus in that price range. or for more a samurai. 44mm headtube, 31.6mm seat tube.

it's nice to have an option fork and seatpost wise. your choice though and i don't know your budget. there are other bikes out there with updated specs, i'd lean that way if i was you

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    cool, I heard good things about chromag, but unfortunately dont know where they sell them. I live in Slovakia, so to get a good bike here i am reliant on online shops. Chain reaction does not sell them, any ideas where I could find Chromag?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    IMHO the handjob is xc/marathon oriented, far from the 456. I've had one 'job for four years now. I tried various fork travel and a few set-ups but the best is the latest reicarnation with rigid forks and reasonably light xc stuff. it looks like this nowadays:

Attachment 778332

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Factory View Post
    cool, I heard good things about chromag, but unfortunately dont know where they sell them. I live in Slovakia, so to get a good bike here i am reliant on online shops. Chain reaction does not sell them, any ideas where I could find Chromag?

Dealers/Links - Chromag Bikes

There's their dealer list. They do make great bikes and products. I have a chromag TLR and various bars and stems from them. There is also the transition trans am. The production privee Shan and many other am hard tails out there. What is your budget?

Add the Stanton slack line in there as well. Actually only the ti frame has44mm head tube and 31.6mm seat tube. The steel frame should be updated soon, I thought it already was

Frames

Slackline ti | Stanton Bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If I am convinced that the ride is worth it, I am willing to put down more than instead of buying twice which is what I am actually doing. Last year, I bought a Zaskar Expert with full SLX, RS Recon golds and Mavic's, so the I want to swap frames. it was 45% off, but the frame is way too XC racey, in other words a bit boring except at killing people on the climbs. Fork is being adjusted to 130 mm travel soon.
    I heard of the Stanton before and it looks pretty sweet except for the price, so I am actually trying to find out if it is really worth it and then I got a bike settled for the next couple of seasons. But Stanton is a bit beyond my budgets, but hey next week is pay day, maybe i may change my mind after that :-)

mtbr member
    the steel stanton has a standard headset and 27.2mm seat tube, i'd look for something that gives you some upgrade options. the chromag samurai is a great bike, made in canada. the stylus is the taiwan made version. still very nice and has a 44mm headset and 31.6mm post. chromags are great bikes with great geometry. if you have the money and want to but just one bike, i'd personally lean that way. the evil sovereign is a great bike in that category as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Was I looking for a new steel hardtail frame I did a little research on the Handjob. I remember coming across a few reviews of people complaining about how stiff the frame was and there isn't much "give". It was probably an issue with the older style frames though so you might be in the clear.

Maybe Kisherceg can shine some light on it.
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Yeah Q is right, Chromag and Evil's are great. I've got an Evil Sovereign (latest version) and I love it. It's got a 31.6mm seatpost, but on a 1 1/8th steertube however. Frame is BEEFY however. It can really take some abuse.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I would definitely go for the Evo over the Handjob, but if you're also looking at other frames, I would say go for the 31.6 seattube and 44mm headtube like some others said. I've got an Evo and I absolutely love it, but I do wish it didn't run a 27.2 seatpost and 1 1/8 steerer. I love the geometry of the frame though. I run a Lyrik on my Evo at 160mm travel and it is amazing. Might be a bit slack at 65degree for the HA for what it sounds like you want to do. So my opinion is +1 on the Stylus. Chromag makes some sick frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    hmm...Chromag just replied with Prices, i was offered the Aperture for 969 euros from their european distributor. That is close to twice the maximum I am willing to fork out. I also looked at the dropper posts, they do make them in 27.2 mm as well just not such a large selection. Plus I am not sure I am willing to fork out 200 euros + for a seatpost, If I got extra cash to spend its for skiing.
    Right now, I am leaning most towards the Stanton Slackline, I found some good reviews on the bike and it seems like a nice ride.
    thanks for your feedback.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Factory View Post
    hmm...Chromag just replied with Prices, i was offered the Aperture for 969 euros from their european distributor. That is close to twice the maximum I am willing to fork out. I also looked at the dropper posts, they do make them in 27.2 mm as well just not such a large selection. Plus I am not sure I am willing to fork out 200 euros + for a seatpost, If I got extra cash to spend its for skiing.
    Right now, I am leaning most towards the Stanton Slackline, I found some good reviews on the bike and it seems like a nice ride.
    thanks for your feedback.
    That is a crazy price. Yes, you can get 27.2mm dropper posts but the selection is limited. Stanton is working on an updated slack line in Reynolds631 tubing with 44mm head tube and 31.6mm post but I'm not sure about the release date. Maybe drop him an email he responds quite quickly

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well my choice now seems between the Stanton and 456 or the Commencal Ramone s the local shop carries it, I guess i may support local. Just dont know much about the frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Damn I didn't realize Chromag frames cost that much, ouch.
    Pedaling Gorilla