Thread: Cotic BFE or ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Good job! Cotic BFE or ?

Well Iím about to pull the trigger and order a Cotic BFE, but Iím wondering if you guys have any another suggestions beside the BFE. Itís going to be mostly used for XC riding along with small jumps 4-5 ft drops and just ripping through the streets like a hooligan.

I really like the versatility of the frame along with how steel frames feel. I weigh about 240lbs full loaded up on beer and bacon.

Probably going to pair the frame with a Rockshox lyrik coil. Is this fork a little overkill for my kind of riding or would I be better off with a Sektor RL.
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    The BFE is a nice frame. A cheap alternative is the On-One 456 EVO but that limits you to a 27.2mm post and 1 1/8" headtube.

One thing I would look at though is air forks. At 240 lbs (was there once), I preferred the tuneability of my Fox 36 Float vs buying new springs whenever I would fluctuate in weight.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yeah I looked into the on-one and the ragley piglet but wrote them for various reasons.

I was planning on going the coil route because its simple, less maintenance, and less of a headache. I really don't fluctuate in weight either. From what I gathered usually
    heavier riders like coil forks?
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
    Yeah I looked into the on-one and the ragley piglet but wrote them for various reasons.

I was planning on going the coil route because its simple, less maintenance, and less of a headache. I really don't fluctuate in weight either. From what I gathered usually
    heavier riders like coil forks?
    Not really. I hated my Pike coil. The firm was too soft, the x-firm too hard.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Not really. I hated my Pike coil. The firm was too soft, the x-firm too hard.
    Damn, well thats not good news lol. How much did you weigh when you were running the Pike? You never got a chance to try out the medium spring huh?
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
    Damn, well thats not good news lol. How much did you weigh when you were running the Pike? You never got a chance to try out the medium spring huh?
    The stock medium had massive nose dive. I was about 250 at the time. Right now I'm 225 and love playing around with my Float,

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The stock medium had massive nose dive. I was about 250 at the time. Right now I'm 225 and love playing around with my Float,
    Wow really that has me questioning the lyrik now. What kind of running where you doing with the lyrik? It funny you mention the float though. I just came back from Arizona and rented a Trek Superfly AL Elite with a float on it and it performed pretty good with my weight. Which model float are you running?
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    I never had the Lyrik coil. Just Pike 454 Coil. I do have a 2009 Lyrik Solo Air that's on my brother's bike and it's been wonderful as well. He's under 150 lbs, but sure is great to pump up the fork and I can take it for a spin.

As for the Floats, my first was a 2011 Float 36 R on my previous Transition TransAM. It was a beefy fork, not too many setting. Now I'm on a 2012 Float 34 FIT RLC 140 29er on my Kona Honzo and it's a lot better too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I never had the Lyrik coil. Just Pike 454 Coil. I do have a 2009 Lyrik Solo Air that's on my brother's bike and it's been wonderful as well. He's under 150 lbs, but sure is great to pump up the fork and I can take it for a spin.

As for the Floats, my first was a 2011 Float 36 R on my previous Transition TransAM. It was a beefy fork, not too many setting. Now I'm on a 2012 Float 34 FIT RLC 140 29er on my Kona Honzo and it's a lot better too.
    Oh ok I think the Sektor is the replacement for the Pike. So maybe the Lyrik will be a little more plush. I'm going to look into the Float as well.
    Pedaling Gorilla