Cotic BFE or ?

Printable View

• 10-25-2012
    goforbroke
    Cotic BFE or ?
    Well Iím about to pull the trigger and order a Cotic BFE, but Iím wondering if you guys have any another suggestions beside the BFE. Itís going to be mostly used for XC riding along with small jumps 4-5 ft drops and just ripping through the streets like a hooligan.

I really like the versatility of the frame along with how steel frames feel. I weigh about 240lbs full loaded up on beer and bacon. :arf:

Probably going to pair the frame with a Rockshox lyrik coil. Is this fork a little overkill for my kind of riding or would I be better off with a Sektor RL.
  • 10-25-2012
    eurospek
    The BFE is a nice frame. A cheap alternative is the On-One 456 EVO but that limits you to a 27.2mm post and 1 1/8" headtube.

One thing I would look at though is air forks. At 240 lbs (was there once), I preferred the tuneability of my Fox 36 Float vs buying new springs whenever I would fluctuate in weight.
  • 10-25-2012
    goforbroke
    Yeah I looked into the on-one and the ragley piglet but wrote them for various reasons.

I was planning on going the coil route because its simple, less maintenance, and less of a headache. I really don't fluctuate in weight either. From what I gathered usually
    heavier riders like coil forks?
  • 10-25-2012
    eurospek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
    Yeah I looked into the on-one and the ragley piglet but wrote them for various reasons.

I was planning on going the coil route because its simple, less maintenance, and less of a headache. I really don't fluctuate in weight either. From what I gathered usually
    heavier riders like coil forks?

Not really. I hated my Pike coil. The firm was too soft, the x-firm too hard.
  • 10-25-2012
    goforbroke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Not really. I hated my Pike coil. The firm was too soft, the x-firm too hard.

Damn, well thats not good news lol. How much did you weigh when you were running the Pike? You never got a chance to try out the medium spring huh?
  • 10-25-2012
    eurospek
    Quote:

Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
    Damn, well thats not good news lol. How much did you weigh when you were running the Pike? You never got a chance to try out the medium spring huh?

The stock medium had massive nose dive. I was about 250 at the time. Right now I'm 225 and love playing around with my Float,
  • 10-26-2012
    goforbroke
    Quote:

The stock medium had massive nose dive. I was about 250 at the time. Right now I'm 225 and love playing around with my Float,

:confused: Wow really that has me questioning the lyrik now. What kind of running where you doing with the lyrik? It funny you mention the float though. I just came back from Arizona and rented a Trek Superfly AL Elite with a float on it and it performed pretty good with my weight. Which model float are you running?
  • 10-26-2012
    eurospek
    I never had the Lyrik coil. Just Pike 454 Coil. I do have a 2009 Lyrik Solo Air that's on my brother's bike and it's been wonderful as well. He's under 150 lbs, but sure is great to pump up the fork and I can take it for a spin.

As for the Floats, my first was a 2011 Float 36 R on my previous Transition TransAM. It was a beefy fork, not too many setting. Now I'm on a 2012 Float 34 FIT RLC 140 29er on my Kona Honzo and it's a lot better too.
  • 10-26-2012
    goforbroke
    Quote:

I never had the Lyrik coil. Just Pike 454 Coil. I do have a 2009 Lyrik Solo Air that's on my brother's bike and it's been wonderful as well. He's under 150 lbs, but sure is great to pump up the fork and I can take it for a spin.

As for the Floats, my first was a 2011 Float 36 R on my previous Transition TransAM. It was a beefy fork, not too many setting. Now I'm on a 2012 Float 34 FIT RLC 140 29er on my Kona Honzo and it's a lot better too.

Oh ok I think the Sektor is the replacement for the Pike. So maybe the Lyrik will be a little more plush. I'm going to look into the Float as well. :thumbsup: