mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Correct drop out to crown measurement on original SIDS?

Hi,

I don't know if anybody can help me; I'm restoring a custom Roberts xc frame of mine built it in 1998 originally, and the original SIDS were thrown - they were literally foaming away! I want to put non suspension carbon forks in it and want to have them with an ideal dropout to crown measurement.

Looking at my photo of the bike when first built (kmjnhbgyhuj | Flickr - Photo Sharing!) I think the travel on the original forks was 80mm, can anyone tell me what the drop out to crown measurement would have been on these?

I've seen some 'Hylix' ones on ebay that look nicely manufactured, but I want to make sure I keep the geometry as close as possible to its original spec.

Also I'd like to switch to discs but that would probably mean some kind of reinforcement on the stays, something I'd prefer to avoid as when I built this I had it built in a 'road' style to try and have clean lines. It's 853 tubing, would it stand up to a rear disc with out any reinforcment?

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Cheers

Ian

mtbr member
    You'll probably get a better response in any of the other forums than the All Mountain forum. Most riders in this sub wouldnt even put a Sid on their XC bike.

Crosspost in the suspension forum for a better answer.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Correct drop out to crown measurement on original SIDS?

Quote Originally Posted by navarino View Post
    Hi,

I don't know if anybody can help me; I'm restoring a custom Roberts xc frame of mine built it in 1998 originally, and the original SIDS were thrown - they were literally foaming away! I want to put non suspension carbon forks in it and want to have them with an ideal dropout to crown measurement.

Looking at my photo of the bike when first built (kmjnhbgyhuj | Flickr - Photo Sharing!) I think the travel on the original forks was 80mm, can anyone tell me what the drop out to crown measurement would have been on these?

I've seen some 'Hylix' ones on ebay that look nicely manufactured, but I want to make sure I keep the geometry as close as possible to its original spec.

Also I'd like to switch to discs but that would probably mean some kind of reinforcement on the stays, something I'd prefer to avoid as when I built this I had it built in a 'road' style to try and have clean lines. It's 853 tubing, would it stand up to a rear disc with out any reinforcment?

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Cheers

Ian
    If you are "restoring" the bike, do not put disc brakes on it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hi Gt Scoob and Shaggy, yes I want to put rigid forks on it not the SIDS, the photo is of its original configuration. Hopefully then someone may have done a similar thing on here?

It's only a restoration in that it needs tlc , lain dormant for years and I have just sold the syncros 10th anniversary stem (went for a fiver 5 on ebay - criminal!, got 37 for the titanium pin though...). I couldn't afford to do a correct restoration although I'll have it sprayed the same. It's a bit sorry, have Bilt-Hamber Deox Gel on it now to get rid of some rust!

I'm a fan of disc brakes since buying a cube reaction a few years back, fantastic for stopping when coming down an alp! The Cube was bought at the time instead of restoring this, because I worked out I could get a complete bike for the cost of just getting new bits. But its a crying shame to have this deteoriating and need to do something with it, I dont want to sell it.

Thanks for the advice so far