mtbr member
    May 2013

Cornering and Snagging Shrubbery?

I've been greatly improving my cornering technique lately with better tires, playing with front/aft balance, and "looking through the corner." But lately I've had a new problem: I'm leaning over so far into the corner that I'm constantly snagging bushes and trees (and cacti!!) on the inside of the curve. I come back from rides with my upper arms and shoulders all scratched to sh!t. I'm kinda tall, so that probably doesn't help.

Am I doing something wrong, or are the trails just overgrown?
    Thanks!

Sponge Brain
    Mar 2009
    Cornering with Fabien Barel - YouTube

Good video on technique.

If technique is good, maybe pay attention to your line through the corner.

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    As mtnzj pointed out you want to lean the bike but not your body. Most likely you are taking a corner like you would on a road bike leaning everything into the corner.
    Can't a guy get bombed and call his ex at 3 in the morning without it meaning something?!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That helps a lot! I've definitely been leaning my body with the bike.

mtbr member
    the bushes always move out of the way for me, but thats because i yell TIGER!
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnzj View Post
    Cornering with Fabien Barel - YouTube

Good video on technique.

If technique is good, maybe pay attention to your line through the corner.
    Nice video! One of my favorite channels on Youtube

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I bring a machete on rides for that very reason! All kidding aside I have trimmed some shrubbery in areas I ride all the time because they are close to my house.

Dont Rep me
    Go for the Speed Racer rotating saw blades option.
    Name:  mach-five.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  80.8 KB

Resident Gear Head
    I have the same problem, always looks like I got into a fight with a cat. I have proper technique but just cut the corner a bit close at times. I suggest wearing long sleeves or not cutting in so tight.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member
    I sometimes have scraped up elbows and forearms, but usually from crappy cornering technique
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

perpetual pucker factor
    not sure, but the OP seems to be fishing for compliments... sort of a 'Hey everybody, I'm so bummed because I can't fit into any t shirts because my muscles are so big' type of thing.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Genius
    Solution = Wear long sleeve shirts. I stopped with the short sleeves mostly due to bugs and I am tired of smelling like suntan lotion. I wear these and really like them. I paid 15 bucks each. They are feather light, cool with vents all over, and are SPF30.

Expedition River Shirt LS | Mahco Outdoors
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've been trying the "lean the bike, not your body" technique from the Fabien Barel video. It definitely seems to help. The trick is going to be making it a habit. I still have to think "Okay, lean the bike, outside elbow up, etc..." I do seem to whip around corners a lot quicker this way, plus I'm not snagging as many things. This also makes the back wheel drift a lot more, which will take some getting used to.

Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    If your back wheel is drifting your technique is still a bit off.
    "The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
    -Douglas Adams

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelldify View Post
    I've been trying the "lean the bike, not your body" technique from the Fabien Barel video. It definitely seems to help. The trick is going to be making it a habit. I still have to think "Okay, lean the bike, outside elbow up, etc..." I do seem to whip around corners a lot quicker this way, plus I'm not snagging as many things. This also makes the back wheel drift a lot more, which will take some getting used to.

Thanks for the advice!
    There is another video done by Fabian that has Milner in it, Trail Ninja: Enduro 101. He talks about the same things but then adding in the weighting of the bike while going around corners. I am like you and just starting to try out the "lean the bike, not the body, elbow up, etc. etc." while riding and I am getting better. Just like anything else it will take practice to make it habit.

With regards to the weighting, the video talks about while entering a corner you want your weight more forward over the bars and as you exit you transition the weight back. This would be a good indicator as I see a lot of videos where these enduro guys are coming around corners and instantly manual out of it. To keep from endo-ing at this point while going around a corner with your weight forward you will have to have the fork/shock setup properly (again briefly talked about in the video). Fabien goes on to say that most people have their rear shock to hard and front fork to soft and it should be the inverse to compensate for brake dive and when you hit a bump.

Here is the video: How to Ride Enduro with Fabien Barel | Trail Ninja, Ep. 12 - YouTube
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    +1 for lean the bike not the body. If you open up pretty much any copy of mountain bike action you can find plenty of pictures of people cornering with good technique. It's not so much to stay out of the way of shrubberies as it is for handling. Sort of like alpine skiers keeping their torso far more upright than their legs in turns.

That said, catching thorns and branches with your forearms imo is pretty much part of mountain biking. My forearms have lots of faint tiny scars. Nothing to do with leaning into corners, just riding narrow trails.
    '12 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 | '12 Santa Cruz Butcher | '06 Specialized Allez Comp | '81 Schwinn Converted Fixie