Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Coolest goggles?

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  tyler243 
#1 ·
Not the look, the temperature :)

I'm looking for some goggles for heavy-duty XC that won't make me sweat too much. Being able to get an actual prescription lens instead of an insert would be a bonus. Any suggestions?

#10 ·
tyler243 said:
well not much but it will prevent fogging (you can't tell me that is not a problem when going slow) and it does move air so it will help a bit

but yeah no goggle will be cool compared to glasses or nothing to cover your eyes
for fogging it will help by sucking humid air out of the goggles but for doing what the op asked, keeping his face cool, they will do no more than any other goggle. just from looking at pictures i think the adidas burma goggle would be the coolest, it has vents all around the lense and on the lense itself.

edit: looks like adidas no longer makes the burma

#11 ·
Was curious, so did a little digging.
They can be had for about 100-110.00
They seem to work very well.
They do not like dirt, - clogs the fan and Smith will not warranty them if used in the dirt.

FWIW - I have Oakley MX Crowbars, and have no issues with fog, even when on pedaling rides - ie 40% pedal, 60% gravity. Not wearing glasses in them though.

michael

#12 ·
mykel said:
They do not like dirt, - clogs the fan and Smith will not warranty them if used in the dirt.
I am going to call bs on this. they are moto goggles, they are designed with dirt in mind. Smith isn't going to design a product then not warranty them because they were used. but i could see it being problematic if you were trying to warranty the fan and there was a chunk of dirt clogging it up.

#14 ·
tyler243 said:
I am going to call bs on this. they are moto goggles, they are designed with dirt in mind. Smith isn't going to design a product then not warranty them because they were used. but i could see it being problematic if you were trying to warranty the fan and there was a chunk of dirt clogging it up.
Whatever - just reporting what I read. No interest either way.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/4/1634/ITEM/Smith-Turbo-Option-OTG-Goggles.aspx

Quote\
Smith turbo

Smith does not stand behind these goggles. I returned a pair after 2 months the fan didn't work. They said no warranty because they were used in the dirt.

/quote

Make your own decisions, but this would be enough for me to look a lot closer. Ie fan / filter susceptibility to contamination. If they were designed for snow use then i can see dirt being a problem.... There appear to be more than one version - a snow version for sure, but I can find nothing on the other that indicates it is good for dirt - road yes...

lemme know if you find something that says made for dirt...

michael

#15 ·
NorwegianRepresentative said:
I believe most xc oriented guys where either sunglasses or if you want clear lenses that wont shatter, some shop glasses can be had for cheap. Don't really understand wearing goggles without a full face helmet....
Googles help in dust.

Regular sport glasses are fine for brush protection and stay cooler

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.