mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Conti Xking knob issue fixed yet?

I had a Coni Xking for riding in mid to late winter and mid summer when the trails were primarily hard pack. The one I had was bought in Oct 2012 when Conti seemed to have released a bad batch of them. I liked the tire for this purpose but it lost 20+ knobs in about as many miles. It literally fell apart in 2 rides.

Has anyone had recent experience with their Xking Protection version in a 2.4 and had luck with it NOT shedding knobs like crumbling play dough?

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Protection - no problems, race sport - knobs come off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    MSU, how long ago did you get yours? I had a protection version and it she'd knobs like nothing I've seen before.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

I have a new xking 2.4 protection. No problems yet, but only about 30 miles so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Blizzard, where'd you buy it from? Based on my experience, you'd have lost a few knobs already if it was one of the bad ones. Hope it holds up

The Fastest of Bananas
    I have the UST version. Its good to go.

mtbr member

My 2.4 protection had lasted a long time. I have shredded through two 2.2 protection tires on the back of the bike.

mtbr member

Running a 2.4 protection X-King on the rear of my TRc, no problems
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    MSU, how long ago did you get yours? I had a protection version and it she'd knobs like nothing I've seen before.
    My Racesports are about a year old, I think. I also had some Protections from a year ago (my son used them, until I talked him into 825 gram tires...now I can keep up) that worked well and didn't shed knobs. They were used front and back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I bought a Protection version XKing 2.4 in late June for the front of my bike. Mounted up with a tube @ 30 psi for my 185 lbs.

It has seen hundreds of miles of road, hardpack, and loose over hardpack conditions as I used if for all training up to, and then including, the Leadville 100 race. The tread remains in great condition, with no knobs missing or casing otherwise exposed. Lots of those little molding strings still in place, though worn to nubs on the center knobs.

Some of the side knobs (<5%) have cuts in them, but nothing goes to the casing, and I consider it minimal for the level of abuse they have seen. VERY pleased with the wear characteristics of these tires -> seems like they'll be with me for a long time!

I bought mine from REI, which may be a consideration for you depending on how well any warranty claim you made for your earlier set was handled.

Good luck,
    Paul