Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Conti Barons without tubes?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Qcamel 
#1 ·
Hi

I am keen to get some Continental Barons for the rapidly approaching winter months but this summer went UST for the first time and love the extra grip achieved from the low pressures. I know that Conti do not make a UST version of the Trail Baron but wonder if you think it would be possible to get a seal with a non UST tyre?

I am new to this whole UST thing and have no experience other than the Trail Queens (Kings) UST that I have been running all summer.

Cheers all

#2 · (Edited)
My exp w/ Conti non-UST is w/ der Kaiser and Rubber Queen/Trail King folders. You'll need to use at least 2 scoops of goo, twice, and on buckets.
Compressor helps a LOT here. Get the 1st round to seat w/ soap, then lay them flat on a bucket. Flip it over every couple of hours...2 cycles here should be fine. It'll still leak, but slow enough for a day's ride. I repeated this twice w/ both tires before the porous sidewalls finally sealed up. The der Kaisers were a JOKE! I don't think that weave looking sidewall is decoration...I actually think it is woven 'cause it sure leaked like it was! The RQ/TK were a bit better, but still leaked like a sieve!

Here's a thought: You know that spray sealant stuff being advertised on TV...the one where they sprayed a screen door and mounted the thing to the bottom of a boat...hummmm. Turn a tire inside out and spray it down? :yesnod:

Edit: Threw up the question on the Wheels and Tire forum on the Flex Seal
Edit edit: apparently, Flex Seal is a shipping scam. Found this on Amazon instead

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.