Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Considering another full suspension MTB.....

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  INABIL 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am considering buying another full suspension MTB mainly for trail
riding ( I am a weekend warrior!). Currently I have a Santa Cruz Superlight 2001. It's a great bike and has top end components including Chris King hubs, however it is a bit outdated. I am wondering what other newer brands/models I should consider. I am interested in a newer bike, but doesn't have to be the current year. Also, I am interested in an Aluminum frame only.

Thanks.:)

#2 ·
First - what's your budget?

Almost every major brand makes one or more Trail bike models that would do the job.
Pick a brand and browse their website.

Are you open to other wheel sizes?
For example - Santa Cruz - XC/Trail bikes with 100-130mm travel - (new) Superlight, Blur XC, Blur TR, Tallboy, Solo.

#6 ·
I've also got the Superlight 2001 and now the Cube 29er - the wheels difference is like night and day for me. Maybe my Cube is built like an armoured truck cause approaching roots, ruts, technical downhills i have the confidence to take them....i see them coming and my mind goes ' ah.....no problem' with the 29er. I go through them without any dramas. I also feel i sit higher with the Cube 29er....and i like that feeling - makes me feel as though the roots and drops were smaller.....

WIth the Superlight 26er there are many 'oh ****' moments.....so the 29er was a huge improvement for me. I think 29er really benefits riders who are not very technically capable.

#8 ·
Cube AMS 120 - it's german. After i've bought the bike and on the 2nd ride did i read it's All-mountain. I'm more XC and a less capable technical rider but the Cube with it's burly design has definitely improved my riding on the rougher grounds. I've ridden it twice so far. It would be interesting to bring out the Superlight 26er for another ride and compare the differences in handling.

Attachments

#10 ·
Look for something like a 2009-2012 model Trek Fuel EX. They're good value and fairly common, so you should find plenty of them on the used market.

You should find a few bikes on the used market and post them here, then someone will advice you on whether or not it's a good buy.

#11 · (Edited)
I dont' know why but Cube bikes are quite hard to find - they are quite a rare species....maybe the german exchange rate makes the bikes more costly thus will lower a dealers profit margin.....so the distributo prefer to sell something else...

Anyway my cube is quite hefty compared to my superlight......it's something that's been bothering me at the back of my mind but the bike in reality rides very well. And i just want to keep on riding on the Cube while heavy does produce a magic carpet ride. I think you'll have to decide if you want more XC or do u want to step into the AM section where the bikes are burlier but heavier. My 2nd option would have been the Trek Superfly 100 AL - but unfortunately i discovered it only after i've bought the Cube. It's only the heft or weight of the Cube that i have a small regret with. Otherwise i love everything about the Cube. And another thing.....i no longer get brake-jack like i do with the Superlight!!! So woohooo it feels like a proper full suspension bike now when i use my rear brakes - whether sitted or standing going downhill. The superlight would firm up whenever i apply the rear brakes on the downhill - brake jack. It was quite an annoying thing to feel especially when one is tired and need a magic carpet ride effect.

#16 ·
I dont' know why but Cube bikes are quite hard to find - they are quite a rare species....maybe the german exchange rate makes the bikes more costly thus will lower a dealers profit margin.....so the distributo prefer to sell something else...
If your in the US it may be due to the patent that specialized has in relation to the horst link? if Cube haven't payed for it, they won't be able to sell their bikes.

#12 ·
It really sounds like you need to get out on some demo days. Not sure they'll be easy to find this late in the season but who knows. What you really need to experience is the difference between wheel sizes and some of the other suspension designs. New geometry trends abound and will help you formulate an opinion.

It may be a good idea to even spend some money to pay for a demo of a bike that is similar to what you think you are wanting. Sure, it won't be the same bike you end up buying if you go the used route but it'll still give you a good idea of what you want.

Last, you may be able to get a new frame and fork and swap everything over.

#13 ·
I think a $1000 budget is going to be tough for a full squish. I ride a Trek Superfly 100 and love it. Fits what you're looking for. I picked my '12 up last year for about $1600 but a friend of mine just snagged a Pro version for $1200 last week. Strong frame, good construction, full XT and just an all-around good bike.

#14 ·
Buying used, a full suspension under $1000 is plenty do-able. I picked up a 2006 Rocky Mountain Element 50 last May for $650 off Craigslist. Sure, it's seven years old, but the owner only rode it about five times...it looked to be brand new! If you look hard enough and are patient, you can find some solid rides.

#15 ·
Inflation has not been kind to bikes since you bought yours. You used to be able to get a top of the line bike for around $4000 in 2002. Now that's mid-range, and the top bikes are going for upwards of $8000. Check the Santa Cruz V-10c to see how bad it's gotten.

I wouldn't personally go with Ellsworth. They seem to be very overpriced for their outdated suspension system. And every Ellsworth I've ridden is plagued by the same issue: suspension tuning. You can either stiffen it up so that it climbs well but descends horribly, or soften it up so it descends great but bobs like crazy on the way up.

Trek and Specialized are big names, but in my experience, they're nothing special at all. Average at best, but with a premium price tag.

Santa Cruz is still a fantastic brand, making very high quality bikes. I'm hoping to get my wife one of the new Heckler 650s next spring. The price on them is ridiculously low.

If your budget is around 1000, I'd look at Giant. They make a lot of other companies' bikes (Trek and Specialized to name a few), and they have really emerged as a top quality brand in the past 5-7 years. Their price can't be beat for the level of components and quality or ride they have. I rode a Giant Reign for 3 years and it was an incredibly good bike. Not a second-tier bike at all. I paid $2800 for it, put on many upgrades (all personal preference stuff, nothing was wrong with the stock build), and when I sold it last fall, I let it go for $1000. The fork and seat post alone were worth that. You can definitely find a Trance or Reign in that price if you look around a bit.

#19 ·
Try Turner. you could find a 5 spot for ~$500 to $600 with pre 2009 frame. 2009+ model, you could probably get a $1000 frame used. If you can get a turner frame for $500 and decided to get a new one in a couple of years, you can still trade that in for a newer Turner frame value of $500.

#20 ·
I've got a 2000 Superlight and like it alot but the frame and fork are too flexxy. I have a new wheel set and little by little I'm upgrading to newer components. I'm looking at replacing my frame with a newer Superlight frame which I hear is alot stiffer and newer 34mm wide forks with 15 or 20mm axle and 120mm travel. I like having 4" of travel in the rear.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.