The Dude Abides

computers, do you use them for all mountain?

How many of you use computers on your rides?
    This aggression will not stand, man.

Hi!!!
    Yeti: Yes...Cateye Enduro 8.
    Road bike: Same comp as the Yeti.
    SS: No, but I do use a Garmin Forerunner 201 on there.
    Idaho Biking Yahoo! Group
    Support these shops: www.CustomMtnCycles.com & Reed's Cycle

Paste eater
    absolutely...

Bike to the Bone...
    I have a Cateye Enduro 8 on my Moto Lite. Actually, I just basically use it for distance reference.... I think if it breaks or something I would ride without one...

Black Lion
    I also use the Enduro 8. Have been using the same one for quite a while.

GREG
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by theeric
    How many of you use computers on your rides?
    sigma sport are the best
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I use Topeak 150 wireless on both of my bikes and they have worked great. They have taken alot of abuse and held up well.

cateye wireless enduro.

Baba Booey!

na...

I had one on my last rig, which is now being converted to a commuter/SS. I opted not to put it on my new Heckler, as I felt that it was taking the fun out of the experience. I was focusing on how many miles I did that day, how fast I averaged, etc. It was more clutter on the bars, and one more thing to remember to turn on or check and make sure it was working. Anyway, I feel more relaxed and focused on the riding w/o the computer, and for me, thats what it's all about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Actually I just bought an Enduro 8 to put on my X2. As someone else mentioned, pretty much for just mileage & to figure out where I'm at on a trail & for the clock.

EDR
    I'm with monkeyfist on this.

I had one on my xc bike and it was all good and whatnot, but when I built my 575 I made a conscience desicion to not transfer it over. I am more at peace when I ride and not worry about distance and speed. For me it is kinda like leaving the cell phone on when golfing, it can just mess with the feeling I get when I just want to get away for a bit. My buddy always rides with his Garmin Etrex gps and that's cool, especially when we ride out of town but I wouldn't want it on my bike.

mtbr member
    Yeah a Sigma Sport 906. I just want to see how many km i actually put on the new bike and what my fastest speed is on the dirt. I haven't had one for years but always missed it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    nah, I don't have one on my main bike any more.....I never could care less about that, and you can't actually look at one when moving anyway on rough ground.

But I have recently put one on my commute bike, so that I can use it to monitor my speed/cadence etc, mainly as a kind of encouragement.

mtbr member
    I don't use one, I like just ridin and not worrying about it.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfist23
    I had one on my last rig, which is now being converted to a commuter/SS. I opted not to put it on my new Heckler, as I felt that it was taking the fun out of the experience. I was focusing on how many miles I did that day, how fast I averaged, etc. It was more clutter on the bars, and one more thing to remember to turn on or check and make sure it was working. Anyway, I feel more relaxed and focused on the riding w/o the computer, and for me, thats what it's all about.
    ditto. i ride for fun, if i'm feeling good i go farther or faster, if i'm not i don't...

mtbr member
    Enduro 8. I like seeing how I'm progressing as a rider, and calculating my mbb (mileage before bonk) and average speed are two ways of doing that.

Ant

silly person
    Dec 2005
    I ride for fun too, but I look at my computer when I get home, or if I'm using distances for navigation. I don't use it for any sort of training, just for my own curiosity.

I have an old Cateye Tomo XC.

mtbr member
    I've always ridden for fun. Really don't care how long I ride as long as I have fun doing it. With that said I got a Cateye 7 wirless computer for my birthday. I use it to see how far I rode after I'm back at the car or how fast I went just for my own curiosity, not for training. I don't care if I ride 5 miles or 50, if I don't have fun then it was a waste of time.
    [SIZE="4"]Go Big or Go Home[/SIZE]

thats right living legend
    Like alot have said it just kept getting in the way of my fun. I'd say ok once I get down to suchn such time I won't worry about it anymore. Then it'd be once I can averag 10.5 mph on this loop I won't worry about it again blah blah blah. I just couldn't help racing the damn thing. Now I have much more fun without it.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Heck yeah...a computer can be kinda fun. On a big, epic ride, it's fun to see how far one went, and the high speed sections can give you your top speed which can be interesting. I'm not as concerned with overall speed most of the time except for some runs on our local trail when I'm watching fitness. But overall I like them...just don't let them become what the ride is all about.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Enduro 8. Its funny, my riding buddies say that they take the fun out of it, or there just for xc. but they "always" ask after a ride: "how far was that", what was our max speed on that section?" what time is it so my chick doest get bent?" Do you need one? no. Are they nice to have? ya.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Absolutely!

Vetta V100 wireless

I need to know how far and fast I've gone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I also have the Cateye Enduro 8.

But I liked the Enduro 2 more. The latter is still going strong on my old hardtail.

I already rode that
    I use a cateye but its not the enduro model just cause I stay out of riding through bushes.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

All Mountain Rider
    Yes i have one a Zone 7w wierless. Mainly keep it just for the toltal distence and the odometer. i also found it good for pacing my drink brakes in the begining and now its just habbit. Also for mapping/figuring out were i am on trails other than that i don't look at it much.