Moose Member

To compulse or not to compulse...

Seeing that the bike technically is an AM bike I thought I'd ask about it here...

So i'm looking into a 2009 felt compulsion 1. i got a sick deal on one with local pick up so its all good there. I only have one issue..

This will be used and abused a lot. i will use it as an AM and FR bike. i'm looking for an All mountain bike that can get me into Slopestyle, and seeing that zink rode this bike, i should have no problems right?

I will run a 1/4 inch shorter rear shock, which should slacken out the head angle and lower the bottom bracket a little. I'll run a short stem and the such... The real question is, Is this a good idea?

I have done hours of research. zink rode one compulsion frame his 09 season. After viewing multiple videos i saw him take sonme hard falls, and do some massive drops (to sloped) and the bike never broke. I have spoken with zink a little about it and he said "you will break something else on the bike before you break the frame..."

The frame i am looking at is brand new, and the deal is unbeatable. I will ride trails like livewire at N*, and hit the jump park. I will also pedal the bike around the 'hood a little bit and maybe ride a TINY amount of Xc like the Flume trail.

So yes or no on a compulsion jump bike.

I'm probably going to go look at the frame and ask some more questions before I make a final answer...

usually cranky
    you cant assume zink rode the compulsion that was available to the general public. it was in all likelyhood costom made for him. an am bike wont make that great of a park bike, get something actually designed for what you want like a bottlerocket or intense ss.

GAME ON!
    cam zink is still with felt. you know it's against his contract to say anything bad about them, right? he'll tell you nothing but great things. that's what sponsored pros do. also, he has access to unlimited frames. it's hard to break a frame when you can have a new one whenever you want. granted, i don't think you are capale of riding like zink, but do whatever feels right to you.

mtbr member
    Bikes are definitely designed to take a lot more abuse than advertised. I use to jump my DB Mission off things it was probably never intended for. However, what I would worry about is repeated abuse. Could the Felt handle a 10 foot drop to transition? Most definitely. Could it handle that over and over for months and months... it's a gamble.

Bottle Rocket is an awesome looking frame. As a matter of fact...

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...ain+Bike+Frame

Cambria got a hold of a few leftovers. They have Mediums in three colors for $1074.

Moose Member
    B-kul. After talking with zink he said its a stock frame that he rides.

saturnine, where have you been man? Zink killed it with corsair bikes this year.

I'm going to go look at it this weekend, and if isn't right ill pick up a harp porter, but the power will cost a lot more and take a lot longer to build up...

T.W.O
    The bottlerocket is always a good choice

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey
    saturnine, where have you been man? Zink killed it with corsair bikes this year.
    news takes longer to get to canada. that was the most up-to-date we are up here. my bad.

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    news takes longer to get to canada. that was the most up-to-date we are up here. my bad.
    eh no problem. I figure I'll go take a look at it. Won't hurt will it. If everything not just right I'll probs just take the porter.

The plus side is that the seller is known as Cameron Zink, and I'm gunna go look at it localy, so I'll probs meet zink in person.... The frame I'm lookin at is his back up, never ridden compulsion frame from the 09 season. If it looks ridden in the slightest i ain't taking it. He also said he can probably give me everything but a fork for $450 so it's a very good offer. I'll let you know how it goes when I go look at it...

usually cranky
    zink rode his felt with what looks like an argyle or pargyle. the stock head angle on a compulsion is 69, with the shorter fork it would be closer to 70. that alone should tell you there is no way in hell he rode an off the shelf frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm pretty sure it was stock. He's pretty no bs. I've talked to him at N* before, very friendly guy and pretty on top of it. He had nothing to but good things to say about his move to corsair, and nothing good to say about felt. He's probably the most standup guy that I've met or seen in the industry - when he thought felt sucked, he said it, even while he was still sponsored by them.

Anyway, there are a lot of good bikes that can be used for AM-FR. The geometry isn't there for it, and from what I hear, the suspension is pretty xc/trail tuned. I would look elsewhere.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    very friendly guy and pretty on top of it.

I <3 bikes
    I ride a 09 Compulsion 3. I think LIGHT FR would be okay, but I wouldn't look to get into slopestyle with it. Now if Cam Zink was the guy selling the bike/frame and said "oh hellz yeah it can stand up to the abuse AND it makes a good slopestyle/fr bike." and it was all at some ridiculous low price...I'd wonder if it were to good to be true as I was handing over the cash

How much rear travel would be lost by running a .25inch shorter shock? Stock shock length is 2.25 inches long which gives 150mm (5.9 inches) of travel.

Good luck!
    Last edited by svmike; 12-31-2010 at 11:58 PM.

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by svmike
    I ride a 09 Compulsion 3. I think LIGHT FR would be okay, but I wouldn't look to get into slopestyle with it. Now if Cam Zink was the guy selling the bike/frame and said "oh hellz yeah it can stand up to the abuse AND it makes a good slopestyle/fr bike." and it was all at some ridiculous low price...I'd wonder if it were to good to be true as I was handing over the cash

How much rear travel would be lost by running a .25inch shorter shock? Stock shock length is 2.25 inches long which gives 150mm (5.9 inches) of travel.

Good luck!
    i think it lowers the travel to 5 inches. Im very uncertain of the deal right now, but it cant hurt to go look at it at zinks house now could it? Depending on how the visit goes i may not get it. Im looking at a haro porter and a duncon akita as alternate options. heres what my build will look something like if i compulse...

To compulse or not to compulse...-zinks-bike.jpg

Now, i have done lots of research. zink rode 1 frame his whole 09 season. including NWD and stuff. He took some hard hits and some hard falls on it and its still working fine. He's selling it at such a low price because he dosent ride for Felt anymore, and we talked for a bit so he made me the offer after talking for a while. he was originally selling a full build (sponsorship parts like mavic wheel and geax tires and such, which he gets cheap) with a pike for $1300. he dropped the price to $1100 before he sold it i think

I guess i'll go look. but im defineately keeping in mind that there are better frames available if the compulsion isn't exactly what i want... still, seeing how he rode it and his bike check, it may be what i need...

bike check:

Video Bike Check: Cam Zink's Felt Compulsion - More Mountain Bike Videos