mtbr member

Which complete bike?

I was a member of MTBRF for a while and haven't been in the bike scene since '05. I don't know what's "good" anymore and coming to you all for suggestions.

I'm looking at buying a bike, new or used, to ride 2-3 times a week, in Colorado. I like to climb, but I also like technical riding (rocks and roots), and small drops (3 or 4 feet). I'm 5'10 and have the attitude that I can accomplish anything physically.

I had an old Stumpjumper FSR, but have been reading a bit about the enduro, and other manufacturers. All input welcome. Even a complete bike that is a good frame but needs upgraded parts would work. I just need something I can ride next week.

Instagram - @hypobaricstalker
    2013.5 Spec SJ FSR EVO 29
    Command Post BlackLite > Thomson Masterpeice
    XC Trail Stem 75 > Thomson X4 50

mtbr member
    Anyone?

mtbr member
    Really you have so much choice that it's going to depend more on what you can find a good deal on than 'what is a good bike'. Maybe look at what the local stores have and what's available used, then post back to ask if the bike you're looking at is any good?

mtbr member
    The AM catagory is so overloaded with capable bikes, I don't know how you could possibly choose one in a week. It's not like it was years ago when everyone was clamoring for the same 3 bikes and the rest were s**t. It sounds like you're like me and looking for an all day, balanced climbing and descending bike like a remedy or stumpjumper evo. I'm selling my beloved xc 29er and most likely buying one of the newer more aggressive 29ers. Are you on a tighter budget or are you financially endowed enough to venture into carbon frames? I would be honest about what and where you'll be riding, take your time, do lots of research and test rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What is your budget?
    And what was said above, go out and ride a bunch, if your on the front ranger here there are plenty of bike shops with pretty much every brand found somewhere. I did tons of test riding befor settling on my 575, helped I had a budget, that was high thanks wife! I also decided on 5-6" of travel so I just rode all in that range and my budget.
    2012 Yeti 575 Race
    2013 Niner AIR 9

mtbr member
    Right now I'm looking at spending under 3k, but if I need to put out another K for the bike that will be right, I will. I'm not worried about used either. I've been eyeing the stumpy FSR elite real hard, but will it handle small drops? I've also been considering the camber and enduro but I know I won't be sowing much for drop offs. What is the Evo? I keep seeing it, but haven't found what exactly it is yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    if ur going new i think giant has the best bang for the buck for AM stuff

May the Force be with you
    GT has some really solid bikes now and the i drive system works well.

mtbr member
    Yeti 575 Enduro $2800 list
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    doing consistant drop offs i would say more than the camber. little heavier frame and suspension. giant reign is an awsome price per value with minilink pedaling platform. ibis mojo sl special blend from jenson usa is a sweet deal for carbon although low spec'd. but its an ibis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    Yeti 575 Enduro $2800 list
    Went into a shop here in Boulder and they really turned me onto this bike.

mtbr member
    Can anyone tell me the difference in the Yeti SB66 and SB95? I know 29 vs 26 and 5" travel vs 6" travel, but what else?