Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Comfortable saddle?

I can't find a saddle post newer than 2 years on the search so.... I'm wanting a very comfortable saddle for long mountain rides (5+hrs). I'm not worried about a little weight. My friend had some eBay special gel seat which was comfortable but not durable. My current seat is specialized body geometry but after long rides it starts getting uncomfortable. I've been adjusting the seat position but by the end of the day I hurt the same. Price range is up to 150.

Whats out there that people actually use vs a saddle review article?

maybe gel?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm guessing your Stumpy also came with a Henge for the saddle, which I personally find to be pretty comfy. Keep in mind that saddles are sized, your Stumpy would have come with a 143 on it but that may not be the correct size for you. I'd suggest going to a LBS and have them find out what width of saddle you should be using. The only other saddle I've used is the WTB Pure V, which I also found to be very comfortable. Before doing any reading online though I would say your first step would be to get sized and then go from there.

mtbr member
    I really like the WTB Rocket V. It has a tiny bit of rocker to it that seems to cradle my pelvis a bit better than other saddles, and I find myself needing to shoft around on the saddle a bit less than with previous saddles I've owned. One position seems to work for about everything. Even though it isn't a super soft saddle in terms of foam, it is very comfortable for long rides for me.

The best way to go about it is to find a saddle demo program. Many shops that carry WTB have a demo program set up. That was what steered me clear of the WTB Silverado, which I really liked the looks of, and toward the Rocket V.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    I've been trying out the new Brooks Cambium. Vulcanized rubber saddle, no maintenance, easily repairable, and so far very comfy. It's a little weighty and priced at 160, so slightly over your budget.

The WTB saddles suggested by rhino have been comfy for me too.

Personally, I've found that a firm saddle will provide more support and thus comfort on longer rides. I'd steer clear of anything too soft.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member

Comfortable saddle?

Wtb Lazer V, Pure V or Rocket V are comfy. Honest piece of advice if you don't regularly do long rides most saddles will hurt somewhat. You need to break your arse in. It will get accustomed to the longer rides and you'll be fine if you can ride for longer on a regular basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glarior View Post
    I can't find a saddle post newer than 2 years on the search so.... I'm wanting a very comfortable saddle for long mountain rides (5+hrs). I'm not worried about a little weight. My friend had some eBay special gel seat which was comfortable but not durable. My current seat is specialized body geometry but after long rides it starts getting uncomfortable. I've been adjusting the seat position but by the end of the day I hurt the same. Price range is up to 150.

Whats out there that people actually use vs a saddle review article?

maybe gel?
    My most comfy saddle is a Selle Anatomica leather saddle. I can ride 12hrs straight on that without padded bike shorts and feel no pain.

I've been using a WTB Pure V saddle up to 3hrs [also no special bike shorts] with zero discomfort. I expect 5hrs+ rides will be no issue, but I haven't pushed this saddle that far yet.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    so personal. gobi xm, chromag lynx dt i get on with well
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    so personal indeed. I'm very happy with my WTB Pure V SLT. 4 to 4.5 hr rides no problem.
    i've not rode solid for over 5 hrs for more than 20 years now.
    My bikes, Slayer 70 and Switch 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    My most comfy saddle is a Selle Anatomica leather saddle. I can ride 12hrs straight on that without padded bike shorts and feel no pain.
    I ride Brooks, so I've been curious about these saddles for a while, but I do not know anyone who has one or who has tried one. I wouldn't get one with the cutout, but I'm curious to what your opinion is compared to Brooks, if you have ridden both of course.

Also, OP I was just looking at the site, check out the clearance tab if interested.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I ride Brooks, so I've been curious about these saddles for a while, but I do not know anyone who has one or who has tried one. I wouldn't get one with the cutout, but I'm curious to what your opinion is compared to Brooks, if you have ridden both of course.

Also, OP I was just looking at the site, check out the clearance tab if interested.
    I'd rate them as follows:

- SA = 11 out of 10 comfy with no break in time
    - Brooks B17 = 9 out of 10 comfy once broken in

I have only used the SA saddles with the cut outs, but have put 5yrs on them on my FS AM bike so had a lot of test time.

I've only used the B17 not any of the other Brooks saddles and msotly for MTB touring as opposed to full on trail riding.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    - SA = 11 out of 10 comfy with no break in time
    Haha, ...this one goes to 11.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My most comfy saddle is a Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Wow so many great replies. Ill be checking all of them out.

My LBS does have some saddles to try but nothing high end. Ive tried a few but I like to ride 2-5 times a week and long rides on the weekend. Most rides are 15-20 miles off road.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Comfortable saddle?

+1 for Si sls max.

Confort stays the same (30min or 3 hrs), since in use no more padded shorts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I bought a bony ranger saddle last year and my lbs had a couple of sizes of it. I sat on some thing that took an imprint of my butt and I bought the saddle the template said I should.

Saddle has been fine so far.

Because we all have different bums, a saddle shoutout would be interesting, but I would not go running to the store to buy the winner.....

mtbr member
    the only ones that I repeatedly hear people complain about are some of the Fizik models. I had one, and it was rather like sitting on a softball. And the rails bent easily.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Just went back to a WTB Rocket V a few days ago. I had one on an older bike I sold and it was great so I tried it again and so far I'm really loving the fit. The Rocket V is built for a more narrow sit-bone spacing. I bought the "Race" model as it has a tougher covering and Art's has a good deal on it plus a SAVE15 discount. Since I live near Art's, I was out the door for under $50.

mtbr member
    The WTB Silverado is my go to saddle.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member

Re: Comfortable saddle?

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    The WTB Silverado is my go to saddle.
    x2 sometimes less is more.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    just ordered the Selle Anatomica NSX. I like what I read about it and some of the youtube videos I found. If I remember I will post back with my experience

LCW
    mtbr member
    Fizik Gobi XM

I've had WTB Rocket V and Silverado, and Gobi XM beats both. But honestly, everyone's ass is different, so you'll mostly have to find out for yourself what is comfortable.
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I decided to buy an ISM Adamo Peak last week. Retail is over your $150 limit, but maybe you can find one on sale. I hesitated for a long time about buying one, because $180 is a lot for me to throw down for a saddle, but I am very satisfied with my purchase, and I have zero buyers remorse.

I'm still getting used to the increased pressure on my sit bones from the ISM Adamo Peak, but I'm already noticing the benefit of relief on my soft tissue area vs my other saddles. I will be purchasing another ISM saddle for my other bike.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    I have been happy with the Specialized Phenom. (Tried various others, most recently WTB Rocket V which starts to hurt after an hour; too narrow for me.) I think the goal should be a saddle that you basically don't notice. The Phenom does the job; only time I have issues is on hard, long seated climbs of 30 minutes or longer if I forget to stand up once in a while.

The WTB Volt is also a nice saddle, flat and light, never catches, almost as good as the Phenom but starts to be painful for me on longer (3+ hours) rides.

Old Fart Swamper
    Adamo Peak | Innovative SaddleMaker

Sorry but I cannot ride those pointed things,,,

I like to keep my stuff in good working order,
    and my wife insists on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Fizik Gobi XM

I've had WTB Rocket V and Silverado, and Gobi XM beats both. But honestly, everyone's ass is different, so you'll mostly have to find out for yourself what is comfortable.
    I also really like these same saddles and was very happy with the Rocket V and liked the Gobi XM even better... maybe not quite as comfortable for long rides as the Rocket V but I liked the shape better for getting behind the seat.

Like I said I thought those two were my BFFs for life.... until I got a Joystick Emulator on my Chili last year. The best thing I can say about it is I didn't notice it at all for several months and hundreds and hundreds of miles of long rides until I got back on one of my old bikes with the other saddles and realized how much more comfortable the Emulator was. I especially like the padded nose for those steep long climbs and super steep saddle violation moments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast