Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 56
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1

    colour matching for mtb

    Hi guys, anyone could suggest me what colour i should mix and match that look cool and nice,show my some pic if you are able to

    As i always wanted to build a mtb =D

  2. #2
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,968
    it's your bike. do what you want.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,790
    Dammit, I want my click back for opening this thread.

  4. #4
    wuss
    Reputation: dropadrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,364
    I suggest pink and green.

  5. #5
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,700
    I'm gonna answer this the way i want.

    People who take on the time and expense to build up custom bikes and then make their parts selections based on color strike me as incredibly superficial.
    Those big company bikes where everything matches, otoh, are bad ass. It looks like more than a sum of parts and at large volumes the cohesiveness makes sense.


    Everyone has to find their own way, though.
    affect befect cefect defect effect fect

  6. #6
    wuss
    Reputation: dropadrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,364
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    I'm gonna answer this the way i want.

    People who take on the time and expense to build up custom bikes and then make their parts selections based on color strike me as incredibly superficial.
    Those big company bikes where everything matches, otoh, are bad ass. It looks like more than a sum of parts and at large volumes the cohesiveness makes sense.


    Everyone has to find their own way, though.
    You mean where a user makes a compromise on parts functionality or features to match colors, or just any case where the user happens to pick parts where colors happen to match?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop
    You mean where a user makes a compromise on parts functionality or features to match colors, or just any case where the user happens to pick parts where colors happen to match?
    Yeah, cause if you're buying a Chris King headset or hub, for example, and they just happen to have a bunch of colors anyway...why not go with a cool color? The price is the same and the part performs the same, so why not? Now buying a part just because it's a certain color, that's a different story. Still, I've been known to do that on something like a seatpost clamp/grip lockrings, etc. They're cheap and provided you don't get crappy parts, it's not going to affect your ride all that much.

    So this is probably way over-thinking it, and maybe a little OCD, but here goes. These are my thoughts on the matter.

    People take pride in how their cars look, so why not make your bike look nice, give it a little bling here and there where it's cheap and easy to do so? You can obviously go overboard in anything, just like bolting on a giant wing spoiler to a Honda Civic, but if done tastefully it just makes your bike look better, and can make you want to ride it more.

    As far as tasteful color goes, I like to follow the unspoken rule of never having 2 same colored parts in sequence. If you have a colored stem, don't put colored headset spacers or a colored bar. If you have a colored bar, don't put colored locking grips, or a colored stem. If you have colored pedals, don't put colored cranks. It just looks tacky to me. It's all about moderation and not going overkill. I do think colored "small parts" look cool when done right though.

    Then again, we all have different opinions and different tastes. At the end of the day, just ride your bike.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,076
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    As far as tasteful color goes, I like to follow the unspoken rule of never having 2 same colored parts in sequence. If you have a colored stem, don't put colored headset spacers or a colored bar. If you have a colored bar, don't put colored locking grips, or a colored stem. If you have colored pedals, don't put colored cranks. It just looks tacky to me. It's all about moderation and not going overkill. I do think colored "small parts" look cool when done right though.

    So I am guessing that both "black" and "white" are excluded from your list of colors?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    So I am guessing that both "black" and "white" are excluded from your list of colors?
    Yeah, I don't really consider black to be a color in that sense since almost everything comes in black by default. White you can sometimes get away with also. All white everything can be seriously overkill though. Plus white looks like crap after the first crash. =/

    Something to consider: White can't be anodized, and powdercoated finishes tend to be less durable and more easily marred than anodized finishes, at least in my experience.

    I realize it's a completely unnecessary and superficial conversation, but it's REALLY slow at work today. =/
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 12-22-2010 at 08:53 AM.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,076
    Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    Yeah, I don't really consider black to be a color in that sense since almost everything comes in black by default. White you can sometimes get away with also. All white everything can be seriously overkill though. Plus white looks like crap after the first crash. =/

    Something to consider: White can't be anodized, and powdercoated finishes tend to be less durable and more easily marred than anodized finishes, at least in my experience.

    I realize it's a completely unnecessary and superficial conversation, but it's REALLY slow at work today. =/
    HAHAH, slow holidaze for everyone!

    Yeah, I ended up with white fork (170mm Lyrik DH only came with that option at the time) so I mated it to some white Chromag Fubar OSX...looks good...but the fork is well worked-over with scratches on the lowers.

    I wouldn't get a white frame for the same reason, I think.

    Now, isn't Powder Coat supposed to hold up waaaay better than paint? I know ano is more durable...

  11. #11
    Don't be a sheep
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,369
    Quote Originally Posted by RadianceZ
    Hi guys, anyone could suggest me what colour i should mix and match that look cool and nice,show my some pic if you are able to

    As i always wanted to build a mtb =D
    Black and Silver are your friends.
    "Do not touch the trim"

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    HAHAH, slow holidaze for everyone!

    Yeah, I ended up with white fork (170mm Lyrik DH only came with that option at the time) so I mated it to some white Chromag Fubar OSX...looks good...but the fork is well worked-over with scratches on the lowers.

    I wouldn't get a white frame for the same reason, I think.

    Now, isn't Powder Coat supposed to hold up waaaay better than paint? I know ano is more durable...
    Powder coat is more durable than a straight paint job, but still not as durable as anodizing. Anodizing can't peel or flake off because it's part of the metal. It's harder to scratch off or damage the finish in a crash. Bead blasting makes the finish even more durable. Anodizing is more susceptible to harsh chemicals than powder coat though. Obviously we're only talking about aluminum here.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Your color selection does strongly affect how your bike performs.

    Red parts are the fastest. White - lightest. Yellow are the most reliable. Blue - the strongest.

    You can mix and match - for example red and yellow will give you a fast and reliable part - thus orange is fast and reliable - perfect for an AM bike. If you need added strength - pick up a brown frame.

    Grey is a universal frame, good at many things. That would be your trail bike.

    Some would argue that black would be a perfect color, but relative effects do decrease with decreased luminance, so black is really no better then grey or silver.
    Last edited by Broccoli; 12-22-2010 at 11:26 AM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop
    You mean where a user makes a compromise on parts functionality or features to match colors, or just any case where the user happens to pick parts where colors happen to match?
    Appearance is just as important as function. I would say - function does include appearance. This is the AM forum. "A" really stands for "appearance".

    Will all know what "M" stands for.

  15. #15
    wuss
    Reputation: dropadrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Appearance is just as important as function. I would say - function does include appearance. This is the AM forum. "A" really stands for "appearance".

    Will all know what "M" stands for.
    As important? I spend a lot more tIme looking at my bike and dreaming of riding then actually sitting on it. What would I do if it was not attractive?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BaeckerX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,228
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop
    As important? I spend a lot more tIme looking at my bike and dreaming of riding then actually sitting on it. What would I do if it was not attractive?
    Make out with a Specialized?
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d.n.s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    503
    get dark green and violet
    I'm from Ukraine, Kiev
    I'm graphics and web designer
    Follow me on Behance

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    407
    As long as the parts are legit and not there just for color, I am all for it. Overkill on color looks tacky though. My bike has just headset, seat collar and grip locks in blue. Any more is overkill in my mind...
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: monstertiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    710
    Go for hot pink and blue!! Make sure you get white tires with rainbow streamers. I wouldn't go purple, that might look a little feminine.


  20. #20
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    black and yellow black and yellow

  21. #21
    The Unaffiliated
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    842
    lime green AND regular green

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkslide18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,065
    I like blue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails colour matching for mtb-img_1020.jpg  

    colour matching for mtb-img_1024.jpg  

    colour matching for mtb-img_1026.jpg  


  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flanker90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    29
    Red and Black
    Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TylerDCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18
    I like blue.
    You should order the blue accent pieces for your seat post.

  25. #25
    NoVA MTBer
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Your color selection does strongly affect how your bike performs.

    Red parts are the fastest. White - lightest. Yellow are the most reliable. Blue - the strongest.

    You can mix and match - for example red and yellow will give you a fast and reliable part - thus orange is fast and reliable - perfect for an AM bike. If you need added strength - pick up a brown frame.

    Grey is a universal frame, good at many things. That would be your trail bike.

    Some would argue that black would be a perfect color, but relative effects do decrease with decreased luminance, so black is really no better then grey or silver.
    Classic...
    _______________
    -

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkslide18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDCA
    You should order the blue accent pieces for your seat post.
    Im broke.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18
    Im broke.
    That is no excuse. That red collar is ruining your ride. I bet you took a couple of unnecessary falls over that.

    Also - take the stickers off your rims. Rotating weight and wrong color.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkslide18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    That is no excuse. That red collar is ruining your ride. I bet you took a couple of unnecessary falls over that.

    Also - take the stickers off your rims. Rotating weight and wrong color.
    Red white and blue. Im patriotic.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18
    Red white and blue. Im patriotic.
    With so many asian made parts on our bikes we should be more concerned about the proper feng shui.

    And is not the current patriotic gamma yellow and black? Do not tread on me and such?

    Red white and blue had been taken over by liberals.

    (yes, we do need more politics in this thread)

  30. #30
    V-Shaped Rut
    Reputation: big_slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,852
    Wait, all white is too much?


  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,252
    I need my sunglasses to look at that bike.

    Best, John

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chas_martel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,476
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker
    Wait, all white is too much?
    My white Blur with white Revelation bugs me as the hues are slightly different.

    Be sure your matching colors are identical.
    Nobody cares...........

  33. #33
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,968
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel
    My white Blur with white Revelation bugs me as the hues are slightly different.

    Be sure your matching colors are identical.
    my enduro is off white and any white parts just look wrong. i have to sell my white rev as a result.

  34. #34
    wuss
    Reputation: dropadrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,364
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker
    Wait, all white is too much?

    Oh no, white matches white just fine.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rinseflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by dropadrop
    I suggest pink and green.
    Add in some orange and you've got a winner.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: salimoneus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,888
    What is this a fashion show or a mountain bike?

    (my preference is grey with blue bits)

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rinseflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus
    What is this a fashion show or a mountain bike?
    What? There's a difference?

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by rinseflow
    What? There's a difference?
    There is. Fashion show also includes coordinated pants, jersey and sunglasses - mountain bike: just the components.

  39. #39
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,968
    mtb 101
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails colour matching for mtb-color-matching-serious-fcking-business-.jpg  


  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: speedyg55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by RadianceZ
    Hi guys, anyone could suggest me what colour i should mix and match that look cool and nice,show my some pic if you are able to

    As i always wanted to build a mtb =D
    Get everything in matte black

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rinseflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    There is. Fashion show also includes coordinated pants, jersey and sunglasses - mountain bike: just the components.
    Damn it. I knew this would get difficult. Where's a man to find some matching pink, green and orange lycra? Preferably as a one piece skinsuit of course.

  42. #42
    responsible zombie owner
    Reputation: Qatarbhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    654
    Wait, all white is too much?
    Seatpost, tyres, headset, fork crown etc - quite a way still to go.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by rinseflow
    Damn it. I knew this would get difficult. Where's a man to find some matching pink, green and orange lycra? Preferably as a one piece skinsuit of course.

    Amazon sells this lycra fabric. You can order a custom tailored outfit.


  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rinseflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Amazon sells this lycra fabric. You can order a custom tailored outfit.

    That ain't green. You're clashing my fashion. That's bad.

    Oh well, at least I should be able to rely on Troy Lee for some matching pajamas.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by rinseflow
    That ain't green. You're clashing my fashion. That's bad.

    Oh well, at least I should be able to rely on Troy Lee for some matching pajamas.
    Maybe you could go for some solid colors:

    http://www.nyfashioncenterfabrics.co...ic-colors.html

    "Shiny 18 Medium Pink" for the jersey and "Shiny 35 Peacock" for pants.

    I think I like "Ivory" and "Shiny 20 Sweet Potato". Should go well with my new frame.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkslide18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by rinseflow
    That ain't green. You're clashing my fashion. That's bad.

    Oh well, at least I should be able to rely on Troy Lee for some matching pajamas.


  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Broccoli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,764
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18

    Where the fnck did you get this picture?

  48. #48
    ≈ > ♥
    Reputation: zahgurim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    955
    Ban!! Ban!! Ban!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darkslide18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,065
    What? You guys dont know who BikerFox is?

    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/szziB40uGzc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/szziB40uGzc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9MVq2deRbuA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9MVq2deRbuA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,382
    Bike fashion is one thing, but that freaky guy just upset my breakfast! +1 for all white SX, SX Trail 2 may be my next bike......................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •