Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

colour matching for mtb

27K views 56 replies 30 participants last post by  Danil14 
#1 ·
Hi guys, anyone could suggest me what colour i should mix and match that look cool and nice,show my some pic if you are able to :)

As i always wanted to build a mtb =D

#5 ·
I'm gonna answer this the way i want.

People who take on the time and expense to build up custom bikes and then make their parts selections based on color strike me as incredibly superficial.
Those big company bikes where everything matches, otoh, are bad ass. It looks like more than a sum of parts and at large volumes the cohesiveness makes sense.

Everyone has to find their own way, though.

#6 ·
scottzg said:
I'm gonna answer this the way i want.

People who take on the time and expense to build up custom bikes and then make their parts selections based on color strike me as incredibly superficial.
Those big company bikes where everything matches, otoh, are bad ass. It looks like more than a sum of parts and at large volumes the cohesiveness makes sense.

Everyone has to find their own way, though.
You mean where a user makes a compromise on parts functionality or features to match colors, or just any case where the user happens to pick parts where colors happen to match?

#7 ·
dropadrop said:
You mean where a user makes a compromise on parts functionality or features to match colors, or just any case where the user happens to pick parts where colors happen to match?
Yeah, cause if you're buying a Chris King headset or hub, for example, and they just happen to have a bunch of colors anyway...why not go with a cool color? The price is the same and the part performs the same, so why not? Now buying a part just because it's a certain color, that's a different story. Still, I've been known to do that on something like a seatpost clamp/grip lockrings, etc. They're cheap and provided you don't get crappy parts, it's not going to affect your ride all that much.

So this is probably way over-thinking it, and maybe a little OCD, but here goes. These are my thoughts on the matter.

People take pride in how their cars look, so why not make your bike look nice, give it a little bling here and there where it's cheap and easy to do so? ;) You can obviously go overboard in anything, just like bolting on a giant wing spoiler to a Honda Civic, but if done tastefully it just makes your bike look better, and can make you want to ride it more.

As far as tasteful color goes, I like to follow the unspoken rule of never having 2 same colored parts in sequence. If you have a colored stem, don't put colored headset spacers or a colored bar. If you have a colored bar, don't put colored locking grips, or a colored stem. If you have colored pedals, don't put colored cranks. It just looks tacky to me. It's all about moderation and not going overkill. I do think colored "small parts" look cool when done right though.

Then again, we all have different opinions and different tastes. At the end of the day, just ride your bike. ;)

#8 ·
BaeckerX1 said:
As far as tasteful color goes, I like to follow the unspoken rule of never having 2 same colored parts in sequence. If you have a colored stem, don't put colored headset spacers or a colored bar. If you have a colored bar, don't put colored locking grips, or a colored stem. If you have colored pedals, don't put colored cranks. It just looks tacky to me. It's all about moderation and not going overkill. I do think colored "small parts" look cool when done right though.
So I am guessing that both "black" and "white" are excluded from your list of colors?

#9 · (Edited)
CharacterZero said:
So I am guessing that both "black" and "white" are excluded from your list of colors?
Yeah, I don't really consider black to be a color in that sense since almost everything comes in black by default. White you can sometimes get away with also. All white everything can be seriously overkill though. Plus white looks like crap after the first crash. =/

Something to consider: White can't be anodized, and powdercoated finishes tend to be less durable and more easily marred than anodized finishes, at least in my experience.

I realize it's a completely unnecessary and superficial conversation, but it's REALLY slow at work today. =/

#10 ·
BaeckerX1 said:
Yeah, I don't really consider black to be a color in that sense since almost everything comes in black by default. White you can sometimes get away with also. All white everything can be seriously overkill though. Plus white looks like crap after the first crash. =/

Something to consider: White can't be anodized, and powdercoated finishes tend to be less durable and more easily marred than anodized finishes, at least in my experience.

I realize it's a completely unnecessary and superficial conversation, but it's REALLY slow at work today. =/
HAHAH, slow holidaze for everyone!

Yeah, I ended up with white fork (170mm Lyrik DH only came with that option at the time) so I mated it to some white Chromag Fubar OSX...looks good...but the fork is well worked-over with scratches on the lowers.

I wouldn't get a white frame for the same reason, I think.

Now, isn't Powder Coat supposed to hold up waaaay better than paint? I know ano is more durable...

#12 ·
CharacterZero said:
HAHAH, slow holidaze for everyone!

Yeah, I ended up with white fork (170mm Lyrik DH only came with that option at the time) so I mated it to some white Chromag Fubar OSX...looks good...but the fork is well worked-over with scratches on the lowers.

I wouldn't get a white frame for the same reason, I think.

Now, isn't Powder Coat supposed to hold up waaaay better than paint? I know ano is more durable...
Powder coat is more durable than a straight paint job, but still not as durable as anodizing. Anodizing can't peel or flake off because it's part of the metal. It's harder to scratch off or damage the finish in a crash. Bead blasting makes the finish even more durable. Anodizing is more susceptible to harsh chemicals than powder coat though. Obviously we're only talking about aluminum here.

#13 · (Edited)
Your color selection does strongly affect how your bike performs.

Red parts are the fastest. White - lightest. Yellow are the most reliable. Blue - the strongest.

You can mix and match - for example red and yellow will give you a fast and reliable part - thus orange is fast and reliable - perfect for an AM bike. If you need added strength - pick up a brown frame.

Grey is a universal frame, good at many things. That would be your trail bike.

Some would argue that black would be a perfect color, but relative effects do decrease with decreased luminance, so black is really no better then grey or silver.

#14 ·
dropadrop said:
Appearance is just as important as function. I would say - function does include appearance. This is the AM forum. "A" really stands for "appearance".

Will all know what "M" stands for.

#15 ·
Curmy said:
Appearance is just as important as function. I would say - function does include appearance. This is the AM forum. "A" really stands for "appearance".

Will all know what "M" stands for.
As important? I spend a lot more tIme looking at my bike and dreaming of riding then actually sitting on it. What would I do if it was not attractive?

#25 ·
Curmy said:
Your color selection does strongly affect how your bike performs.

Red parts are the fastest. White - lightest. Yellow are the most reliable. Blue - the strongest.

You can mix and match - for example red and yellow will give you a fast and reliable part - thus orange is fast and reliable - perfect for an AM bike. If you need added strength - pick up a brown frame.

Grey is a universal frame, good at many things. That would be your trail bike.

Some would argue that black would be a perfect color, but relative effects do decrease with decreased luminance, so black is really no better then grey or silver.
Classic... :thumbsup:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.