mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Are clutch derailleurs breaking more hangers?

I've been riding for 25 years and in that time broken only a few hangers. However, on two different bikes I have broken 3 in the last 6 months since switching to Shimano clutch type derailleurs.

It has me wondering whether the force once absorbed by the swinging derailleur isn't now being transferred to the hanger causing failure. Seems the only reason I can think of as not once were these failures caused by striking a rock or anything else with the derailleur.

Thoughts / similar experiences?

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    seems like that could happen. that being said my der hanger on my nomad carbon (pretty wimpy looking) is still straight and going strong after about 3-4 months of riding with my Sram XO type2 der.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    sure you've got your chain length right ? and that the clutch mech is working properly. There shouldn't be any where near enough force from the clutch to break a derailleur hanger .

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFish View Post
    sure you've got your chain length right ? and that the clutch mech is working properly. There shouldn't be any where near enough force from the clutch to break a derailleur hanger .
    This.

If the clutch is misadjusted, I could see it putting excessive stress on the derailleur hanger.
    I would go in an do a clutch overhaul (which sounds daunting, but is actually quite easy).
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    It has me wondering whether the force once absorbed by the swinging derailleur isn't now being transferred to the hanger causing failure. Seems the only reason I can think of as not once were these failures caused by striking a rock or anything else with the derailleur
    I think it's reasonable to expect the hanger to be subjected to a bit more force with a clutch derailleur, but I agree that as long as properly adjusted and installed, the added stresses shouldn't adversely affect the average hanger. I've been running a Shimano plus for about 3 months now with no issues (with no further adjustment out of the box).

FWIW, the only two broken hangers I've experienced in the last 12 years happened within 2 months of each other. Got me thinking about related causes, but turned out to be dumb-luck coincidence.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I would just chalk it up to bad luck. Think about it though. If the clutch mechanism was so robust that a smack to the derailleurs cage could snap off the hanger you would not be able to shift as the forces would be too large to over come. You would notice that right away! I suspect it is just a run of bad luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I feel like I've bent up a couple of hangers since I switched over to the xtr clutch. It may just be coincidence, but I switched off the clutch and haven't had a problem in the last 2 months. I love the noise reduction of the clutch, but do feel like the bike shifts a lot smoother with it off.

mtbr member
    I have noticed an increase in broken cables, but I doubt that it would put enough stress to break the hangar.

mtbr member
    Hope not! I'm installing a new XT shadow + tonight and will be dragging it through the ranks. Will report back later....

mtbr member
    I haven't seen any problems with them at the shop, lots of the bikes we sell have them. We actually see more broken hangers on road bikes than anything else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Not so much hangers, but cables.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Concidence?

Like some said it could well be coincidence... I just got a bike with XT clutch derrailleur and in less than a month my hanger is bent.
    All other times that I've broken a hanger it was due to bad luck but I knew what happened... Twig, Rock or bad chain. This time I got off the bike after a muddy section and I noticed that something was way off. The hanger was badly bent! I can't understand what happened, nothing hit the derraileur and for no aparent reason.

I hope it was just bad luck and this does not happen again.

I tried to bend it back but just managed to get it good enough for getting back... The hanger is very tough and would not give in.

How can I check if the clutch is well adjusted... I checked the Shimano website but the manual is very basic. Where can I find instructions to overhaul the clutch in case it is needed?

mtbr member
    Check chain length and avoid cross-shifting the drivetrain, especially with 10-speed cassettes.