mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Clipless platform pedals

I've been riding SPD's for 20 years, and don't like the idea of not having that solid connection to my bike. However, I get into technical situations that would be sweet to have platforms and BMX shoes. Is there anything fundamentally wrong with my idea of say a 510 SPD shoe with maybe a Time ATAC platform or CrankBros platform pedal? Won't that give me the best of both worlds? Or will it just give me average of both worlds?

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclebillpdx View Post
    I've been riding SPD's for 20 years, and don't like the idea of not having that solid connection to my bike. However, I get into technical situations that would be sweet to have platforms and BMX shoes. Is there anything fundamentally wrong with my idea of say a 510 SPD shoe with maybe a Time ATAC platform or CrankBros platform pedal? Won't that give me the best of both worlds? Or will it just give me average of both worlds?
    I've been using the DX pedals.....no issues.

Cat Herder
    I've run the Crank Bros Mallets on-and-off, and they drift into that average of both worlds area. The clip-in works just about the same as the egg beater crank brothers, which I rode for years, except you could say the body of the pedal does cause some impedance to clipping in, but very little.

However, they are not a particularly good flat pedal, due to the bulge in the center of the pedal due to the egg beater. They are good for situations where you don't want to clip in, but they have the funny knack of accidentally clipping in sometimes.

That said, I'll probably continue to swap them in for XC terrain at times.
    It's never too late to re-invent the bicycle

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Clipless flat pedals aren't intended to be an either-or kind of pedal. They are intended to be a clipless pedal that feels like a flat pedal while clipped in. that is the whole purpose of those type of pedals. If you've rocked flats, you know the secure feeling of no float and feeling like you are glued to a large platform. Those type of pedals are so you get that feeling with a bit better pedaling efficiency and a bit of a safety catch (think downhill racing, though they are useful for more than that). Trying to use them as regular flat pedals is outside of their intended design.

Mar 2007
    I've run the mallets for a few years now and really like them. Was on a smaller SPD system before. My motivation being when I needed to unclip around a hairy switch back or for some reason had to dab it would be easier to stomp on a large platform and get some pedal stroked in or just ride out a tech section with something larger than a quarter to stand on.

mtbr member
    fwiw, i got these a couple months ago. im lovin them. got them for $66 from Amazon

2010 GT Avalanche Expert

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick2cents View Post
    Clipless flat pedals aren't intended to be an either-or kind of pedal. They are intended to be a clipless pedal that feels like a flat pedal while clipped in. that is the whole purpose of those type of pedals. If you've rocked flats, you know the secure feeling of no float and feeling like you are glued to a large platform. Those type of pedals are so you get that feeling with a bit better pedaling efficiency and a bit of a safety catch (think downhill racing, though they are useful for more than that). Trying to use them as regular flat pedals is outside of their intended design.
    This. If you think you are going to "unclip" for the technical sections and just ride them like "flats", you're going to crash or hop off at the first rock. It indicates you lack the skills and inertia to make it through the section. It's decreasing your control and stability by taking your foot out. The mechanism protrudes and makes them very poor "flat" pedals. They are easier to ride to the corner store or brewery unclipped than a little spd clipless pedal, but otherwise, they are not intended to be ridden as flats.

True flats work because they have pins and big soft soled shoes with no mechanisms. SPD shoes are stiff to transmit power/control.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    For trail and am my drier month combo is the shimano am45 shoes and 647 pedals. The clipless and stiff combo are nice for climbing the steeps before you reach the hairy stuff, then the real rubber sole on a decent platform is nice to ride unclipped when you want. Its a compromise, not as nice as some 510s on a real plattorm, but pretty good. Just like an AM bike, not a downhill bike and not quite xc, a compromise.

MTBR Contributing Editor
    Get the XT or XTR Trail pedals, more than enough platform to do things. I never have any issues with clipless pedals in technical situations, and I ride some pretty insane stuff. I was never a big fan of flat pedals myself, and only use them in snowy conditions. I prefer the stability and control of being clipped in.