mtbr member
    Jun 2006

New question here. Clipless pedal delema

So I have been researching various clipless pedals in the $50-60 range. After reading the review section, amongst other things, I have been discouraged from Crank Brothers Candy Cs. I was about to order these but people keep saying that they get destroyed after a few rock scrapes.
    What I want to know is what you guys recommend for that price range. The trails that I ride have a lot of nice little rock gardens to pound pedals on, so I need something durable.

Any advice?
    Austin Greenbelt Evangelist

Beware of the Greenbelt Wookie!!!

05' Rockhopper Comp

Paste eater
    I've heard folks say this but It has not been my experince. I have a pair of the low level Chromes on my AM ride right now. I pulled them off another bike and said to my self "well, they'll prolly break soon but might as well get some use out of them" close to a 1000K miles later they are still working almost flawlessly. There is a little play in the left on but it's now doubt do due my lack of intiatiatve and caring. I've totally railed these suckers into rocks on the down strok of my pedaling and thought for SURE they would have broke but nothing. From someone who breaks thing quite regularly I'm impressed.

Oh, Mine are eggs but same spindle and stuff...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Greebler
    So I have been researching various clipless pedals in the $50-60 range. After reading the review section, amongst other things, I have been discouraged from Crank Brothers Candy Cs. I was about to order these but people keep saying that they get destroyed after a few rock scrapes.
    What I want to know is what you guys recommend for that price range. The trails that I ride have a lot of nice little rock gardens to pound pedals on, so I need something durable.

Any advice?
    I've had really good luck with the Shimano 545s - they have a platform that's good for getting back started on steep technical sections, and it also seems to protect the clipless mechanism a bit. They are a bit heavier than other pedals, but definitely worth it to me. I used mine for about 6 years, finally one got loose (though I never did anything for maintenance, so that's not surprising). The 545s are usually a bit outside of your price range, though. I just replaced mine with Shimano 424s, same basic design but with a resin cage and also a bit lighter. Jury is still out about the durability of the resin cage since I just got them, but I've been told it holds up well to rocks. Can get these for about $45.

mtbr member
    I've been riding with a pair of 424's for a few years now and they've held up quite well. I don't ride through a whole lot of super-rocky sections but they've certainly taken a beating and are showing no real signs of damage. It's also nice to have that large platform and not clip-in for sketchy sections/skinnies/etc.

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Greebler

Any advice?
    Have a long hard look at the Time Z pedal.

These won't accidently clip you out if/when you strike a rock like some other clipless pedals will, and they have a nice big platform for when you need to pedal unclipped.

They are tough, and can take a bashing.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Just a punk in the street

Mallet C

I just changed to the Crank Bros. Mallet C and I really like them. I have had a few scrapes with rocks and no problems here. I almost didn't buy them for the same reasons you are mentioning. I was going to get the Time Z if not the Mallets. The mallets were my first pick so I went with them.

This was a good change for a beginner like me. Having the platform has given me much more confidence in pedaling. I don't need to be clipped in to make a decent go at it.
    Last edited by Last Child; 07-31-2006 at 05:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Like Rainman said the Z's work great.The system is indestructable.
    you could also find Time ATACS for 40-60$, but you lose the platform.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Im riding with the little Wellgo WAM pedals that came stock on my freinds bike....lemme tell you...they can be had for 20$...they are light and bulletproof...just not as smooth in and out as higher end clips.
    8 is great

mtbr member
    I'm with the others on the time pedals. I have a pair of aluminums now and have had the composites in the past. I have had them on two different bikes and they work great. Very tough and durable too as I ride alot of rocky technical stuff and are always hitting them on rocks. They have held up very well. I've used SPD's in the past and they are harder to get in and out of, especially when muddy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe MtBiker
    This was a good change for a beginner like me. Having the platform has given me much more confidence in pedaling. I don't need to be clipped in to make a decent go at it.
    That is just what I am looking for, somthing that has a platform. I don't think that I am ready for a egg beater just yet, since I still like the idea of not clipping in.

I have herd good things about the Time brand pedals and will def. check them out.

THANKS GUYS FOR THE POSITIVE FEEDBACK!!
    Austin Greenbelt Evangelist

Beware of the Greenbelt Wookie!!!

05' Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    I like my Mallet C's. They are a little heavy, but very durable and good stability.
    Remember, "We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time".-D.Ritchie

mtbr member
    here you go right in your price range. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/115...ium-Pedals.htm I have them, and love them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe MtBiker
    I just changed to the Crank Bros. Mallet C and I really like them. I have had a few scrapes with rocks and no problems here. I almost didn't buy them for the same reasons you are mentioning. I was going to get the Time Z if not the Mallets. The mallets were my first pick so I went with them.

I used the Mallet Cs last season. The pedal bashing resistance was fine but I was only riding a rigid Single SPeed last season so I wasn't doing any drops or nasty stuff and after 2 or three months the spindles were bent. a Happened to two pairs of them.

I just put Time Z's on my bike and bashed the hell out of them yesterday in Jim Thorpe and they took the beating with almost no noticable wear. Jury is still out on the durability of the spindles.

Nothing has beaten my now discontinued shimano 646s I have beaten them for 6 years and they are still going strong, spinning smooth and working flawlessly. I even managed to twist a pair of crank arms without bending the pedal spindles on an illfated loading dock drop.

If I had found them before I bought the Times I would have just bought two more pairs here
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...SPD-Pedals.htm

mtbr member
    I vote time's. The have a large surface area for clipless and you can get out in the mud I"ve hit far too many rocks with my composite times and they work perfectly
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

3 "fiddy" for short
    I say check out the Times.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker
    I've had really good luck with the Shimano 545s - they have a platform that's good for getting back started on steep technical sections, and it also seems to protect the clipless mechanism a bit. They are a bit heavier than other pedals, but definitely worth it to me. I used mine for about 6 years, finally one got loose (though I never did anything for maintenance, so that's not surprising). The 545s are usually a bit outside of your price range, though. I just replaced mine with Shimano 424s, same basic design but with a resin cage and also a bit lighter. Jury is still out about the durability of the resin cage since I just got them, but I've been told it holds up well to rocks. Can get these for about $45.

Shimano's work well. For mud I put some silcone seal around the cleat, and a little grease on the pedal fixed that problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    I've heard folks say this but It has not been my experince. I have a pair of the low level Chromes on my AM ride right now. I pulled them off another bike and said to my self "well, they'll prolly break soon but might as well get some use out of them" close to a 1000K miles later they are still working almost flawlessly. There is a little play in the left on but it's now doubt do due my lack of intiatiatve and caring. I've totally railed these suckers into rocks on the down strok of my pedaling and thought for SURE they would have broke but nothing. From someone who breaks thing quite regularly I'm impressed.

Oh, Mine are eggs but same spindle and stuff...
    I have a pair of Egg Beater Chrome's. They are awesome, and so far this season, I haven't had any problems with them. They are a snap to get into and out of and starting on uphills isn't bad at all; you can pedal with them w/o being clipped in.

But if you are going to going on all mtn terrain with big drops, jumps and so on, you might want a platform for a little more stability.
    "Oh, Noooo, I'm so sorry. It's the Moops. The correct answer is, The Moops" - George

mtbr member
    i've been using Time's for about 7 years, and the first pair lasted about 6 yrs with alot of heavy abuse. I broke several other brands quickly before getting the Time's. They are very easy to get in and out of, but not loose on downhills or jumps. I highly recommend Time.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Shimano DX (pd-m647) Only Shimano on my bike (switched drivetrain to sram), before I bought them I asked people who used Time and Crank Bros also, most people seem to like the Shimanos. I had the 424s before the DX pedals, they are ok, but not as durable, and doesnt deal w/mud as well. I got mine for $85, a bit more than you were looking to spend...
    Last edited by davec113; 07-31-2006 at 10:47 AM.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Time and CB use the same type of engagement mechanism, although I am curious to find out if there are differences in ease of engagement and disengagement. I bought my Mallets three years ago and have been punishing them ever since. They refuse the be destroyed. The thing I like about the Mallets is their replaceable grip plates. Time doesn't have this. Again, since I haven't ridden Time pedals, I can't say they have as good or better platform than the Mallets. However, when it comes right down to it, I doubt you could go wrong with either pedal. I have seen Mallet Cs going for $50, so it would be worth a shot. If you find Times for a lower price, then you might just go for them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Time Z

Yet another vote for the Time Z. I find the platform feature useful for getting restarted on rough terrain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Shimano 959. I have a 10 year history with SPDs and am pretty used to them. I've had awful success with the EggBeater Candies - they consistently did not release during emergency exists and resulted in way too many spills. Playing with the cleats didn't help either. I also tried the Shimano 647 in hope that its larger platform with give me some of the fun of my platform pedals (Easton Flatboys) - but this didn't happen - I can't find anything in the 647's ride that justifies its 200grams above the Shimano 959.
    I get consistent and constant release from the SPDs when in an emergency exit (going with almost lightest release spring pressure). This lets me feel very secure going clipped-in into technical sections where I may need to bail out. Overall, the 959 is fantastic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I would say if you're doing sketchy rocky stuff just go with some good platforms w/ replaceable pegs. I have some shimano 545s (I think) but I don't use them cause the platforms give me way more confidence when it comes to fast or techy stuff. Plus, some studies have said that you don't gain any efficency(sp?) with clipless.

Ride on
    Jan 2004
    I have ridden with both Shimano 545s and Crank Bros Mallets, and I prefer the Mallets. They have a grippier platform, are easier to clip in and out of, and have survived for longer.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Have a long hard look at the Time Z pedal.

These won't accidently clip you out if/when you strike a rock like some other clipless pedals will, and they have a nice big platform for when you need to pedal unclipped.
    I second (or third or whatever) this. They can take a lot of abuse.