mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Cliped in or not??

Hi i have just recently Gone to cliped in and I use them for downhill and cross country but i am kind of a beginer to Downhill!! i am used to them now so should a use them or change to flat pedals for downhill!!
    Thanks

mtbr member
    its personal preference. you said youve recently gone to clipless. how does it feel compared to flat pedals for downhill?
    give it several rides before making the switch back to flats and let us know why you did or didnt change back to flats.
    i personally prefer flats for anything that is not pavement or smooth featureless XC singletrack

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    It is a personal choice,but I use clips for DH,Am,and tech,which includes log rides,bridges,steeps,extreme boulder features and am completely confident in getting out of pedals and feel more in control being clipped in.

humber river advocate
    rode clips for almost 20 years (features, tech, jumps)... now i ride flats
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    rode clips for almost 20 years (features, tech, jumps)... now i ride flats
    What induced you to go to flats after all those years and experience with clipless?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSB-66 View Post
    Hi i have just recently Gone to cliped in and I use them for downhill and cross country but i am kind of a beginer to Downhill!! i am used to them now so should a use them or change to flat pedals for downhill!!
    Thanks
    This topic is discussed weekly on the AM board. DO a search and you will find day's worth opinions.

Do whatever you are comfortable with.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    I rode clips until I was 19, then my feet got to be too big.

Now I ride flats...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I predict this generating totally different replies from the millions upon millions of identical threads before it.

Including replies like this one of course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    This topic is discussed weekly on the AM board.

But the posts will never stop. I figure with an internet forum we should just learn to accept that fact and help the op.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by joshman108 View Post
    But the posts will never stop. I figure with an internet forum we should just learn to accept that fact and help the op.
    I am helping the OP by pointing out where he can find enough input on this topic to fill several volumes.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Flats for Downhill

mtbr member
    If you're comfortable with clips, use them.

I also think that if you are learning jumping and freeride you should start on flats. It forces you to control the back of the bike better and you don't rely on pulling up on your clips.

mtbr member
    Flats especially if your learning...

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    If you're comfortable with clips, use them.

I also think that if you are learning jumping and freeride you should start on flats. It forces you to control the back of the bike better and you don't rely on pulling up on your clips.
    So true. Meanwhile those of us who learned on clipless flail around like idiots trying to hop or jump on flats. Talk about a nut busting experience
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    i cant ride without clips... it seems so sketchy like i have less control .. clips let me push down and to the side to dab. on flats you have to lift your foot off the pedal to dab. also my feet get bucked off in flats.. .. as you see everyone rides what they like. downhillers use flats and clips XC guys use clips and flats. copy what your friends use that way if your bike brakes you can borrow thiers.. lol

mtbr member
    flats are for 13ry old BMXers..clip it bro
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Definitely a personal preference. I actually use both. I switch back and forth between the two and i feel that gives me the best "feel" of my bike. There's no "one is better than the other" but rather it's whatever works for you. Go with what you feel comfortable with and you'll get more enjoyment out of each ride and more than likely you'll progress further.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSB-66 View Post
    Thanks
    If you can get comfortable using both types of pedals, you will be happy. Then you can use whatever type you want for whatever type of riding.

I did that for a 5-6 years after running clipless strictly, then I had knee surgery (ACL reconstruction and mensicus cleanup) and decided to stay on flats. For me, it helps my confidence to ride on flats because I don't feel attached to the bike. I don't have to worry about the perfect fit with flats like you do with clipless, and I have a lot more confidence to try things like wheelies and other skills.

But that's my choice. Same here, it's your choice, so don't let anyone tell you what's best: you figure it out for yourself.

But if you can learn to ride in both comfortably, it will probably be best for you. Then all you need is a pedal wrench to be happy
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Like the post above, I ride flats due to knee issues. If you go clipped and plan to do a lot of pedaling make sure you get your fit dialed to prevent injury.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I rode clips when I first started mtbing (when SPD's first came on the market), and unfortunately, it made me a "lazy" rider, in that I never learned the proper technique for bunnyhopping etc. After years out of the sport, I'm now trying to get more time on flats, as I feel it increases my bike handling skill, as it forces me to use the right technique, rather than rely on being clipped in to get you through. I use flats on the DH bike, and alternate on the AM bike, to keep me honest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kavika View Post
    I rode clips when I first started mtbing (when SPD's first came on the market), and unfortunately, it made me a "lazy" rider, in that I never learned the proper technique for bunnyhopping etc. After years out of the sport, I'm now trying to get more time on flats, as I feel it increases my bike handling skill, as it forces me to use the right technique, rather than rely on being clipped in to get you through. I use flats on the DH bike, and alternate on the AM bike, to keep me honest.
    I rode flats when i first started unfortunately it made me a skidish rider always jumping off the bike with clips you have to commit to things and win the mental war.......

It never takes long for someone to proclaim they are better because they use "x"

29" wheels make me faster
    SS bikes makes you faster
    Hard tail makes you a better rider
    Flats are for people scared of falling
    Flats make you a better rider
    26" wheels are faster
    Wider handel bars make you faster
    Carbon will brake if i ride it cause im so knarly
    650B is the best of both worlds and the only logical choice

Atleast we dont have to argue about weather lance dopped or not.

Afric Pepperbird
    I like those newfangled pedals that greatly improve spelling!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I like those newfangled pedals that greatly improve spelling!
    who doesn't!?!

SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT