Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Cleaning your bike to prevent rust/currosion question.

Hi, I Seem to be obsessed with keeping my bike spotless after each trail even after just cycling on the road. I'm quite paranoide about rust and currosion i was wondering if a little bit of grit is worth worrying about.

If i went for a small 10 - 20 mile ride on the road afterwards i would be making it spotless removing every spec of dirt. Any tips or advise how to stop being so paranoide and if grit or small particals of grit would actually cause curosion sometimes thought i do leave it for a week but then i really start to get paranoid would that cause corosion to?

Yours sincerely
    Wayne

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by frehgv View Post
    Hi, I Seem to be obsessed with keeping my bike spotless after each trail even after just cycling on the road. I'm quite paranoide about rust and currosion i was wondering if a little bit of grit is worth worrying about.

If i went for a small 10 - 20 mile ride on the road afterwards i would be making it spotless removing every spec of dirt. Any tips or advise how to stop being so paranoide and if grit or small particals of grit would actually cause curosion sometimes thought i do leave it for a week but then i really start to get paranoid would that cause corosion to?

Yours sincerely
    Wayne
    Don't worry about frame corrosion that much, unless you ride a steel bike with old paint or cheap metal... But I'm the same about getting my bikes all cleaned up after the ride... Not because of corrosion, because of my nature. And a clean bike is a happy bike

Its more of a personal thing, and my point of view is that I like to clean my bikes, the same way a guy like to clean his car on front of its garage on a saturday morning...

But I think you are experiencing the clean-o-philie. Its a common disease that most new riders get when they purchase new bikes or parts. Some people get away with it in only weeks, some have to deal with it for the rest of their life.

And its always much cooler to show off on a shiny bike

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My new enduro has only been ridden once so far..... it still has dirt on it.
    its a mountan bike, i bought it to ride it, not clean it after every ride.

Hose your bike down, use compressed air to get rid of the water, lube your chain and spray some boeshield on your deraileurs and put it in the garage til you ride again. Its really not that big of a deal.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    My new enduro has only been ridden once so far..... it still has dirt on it.
    its a mountan bike, i bought it to ride it, not clean it after every ride.

Hose your bike down, use compressed air to get rid of the water, lube your chain and spray some boeshield on your deraileurs and put it in the garage til you ride again. Its really not that big of a deal.
    Never use water close to hubs, bushing, bearing, etc. neither do with the air compressor...

Chain should not be lube much, since the factory grease on it will hold a lot. (unless you have unfortunately degreased your chain). Chain should be wipe off with a rag, same for the derailleurs jockey pulleys.

Wipe the frame with a rag, wipe off dirt on the fork's stanchions and seals.

Then put it in the garage.

It take 5 mins and no need to rinse it off or dry it with compressed air.

David
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    if its an aluminum frame, dont worry. if not, its time for an upgrade if the frame or parts do rust
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    I'm a cleanophile too, but it's mostly because I'd rather be in the shop than sitting on the couch.

Beer tastes better in the shop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Like DavidC said "A clean bike is a Happy Bike." And dirt/mud is weight. I was way too into racing off-road r/c's cleanliness becomes an obsession. And my bike's over 10 years old I can only imagine how it would look today if I had it since it was new. Im almost to the point of seriously finding out the cost of painting it because its not up to liking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Never use water close to hubs, bushing, bearing, etc. neither do with the air compressor...

Chain should not be lube much, since the factory grease on it will hold a lot. (unless you have unfortunately degreased your chain). Chain should be wipe off with a rag, same for the derailleurs jockey pulleys.

Wipe the frame with a rag, wipe off dirt on the fork's stanchions and seals.

Then put it in the garage.

It take 5 mins and no need to rinse it off or dry it with compressed air.

David
    Dont spray high pressure air or water at seals or bearings and you are fine.
    I also keep water away from the controls. even at the shop i work at thats how we wash bikes before they get serviced. You can use water without ruining things, just gotta be smart about it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Water is your bike's enemy. Water will find it's way into bearings, cable housing, fork seals, even through nipples into rims depending on rims of course. Avoiding pressure washing and using as little water as possible is ok, but water still has a way of going where you don't want it. Dirt won't hurt a thing, just keep the drive train clean, cable housing free on gunk, and change your fork oil often. If you spend your time doing those things instead of keeping the paint pretty, your bike will last a lot longer. I often just wipe my bike down with simple green and a rag, no water.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    now simple green is something to really be careful with. if left sitting for too long it will begin to corrode aluminum parts.

RideDirt
    I run water DOWN the bike, i never make direct contact , just let the water slowly clean off what it can just by its pure flow .Use a low rate of flow of water if you can , i then use a micro fiber towel to clean up what i can by hand, lube up chain , and run a dry towel over the bike again, and then store it. Works fine. A mountain bike is meant to get dirty .

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    A standard garden hose is not going to ruin your bike. Letting your bike sit in water will.

Hose it off, use a mild detergent if you want, i suggest a car wash soap. You can dry with a compressor, just dont put the wand right up on your bearings and bushings.

After that I like to use some bike lust and polish it up. that treatment gets done every few rides. It's also so I can inspect my frame for the start of anything major.
    The drive train should be wiped down with a dry rag and then lubed and wiped til no more dirt comes off on the rag after every ride. Grit and mud drastically shortens chain and cassette life.

Yeah, it's an offroad bike, but that doesn't mean you should neglect it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    "I run water DOWN the bike, i never make direct contact" lol dude has some magic water

i understand caution but some of you guys are a bit much. you would have us think that these "mountain" bikes are for dry road use only. just saying...

RideDirt
    No dumbass , I don't use hi pressure washers or spray a stream of water directly into the bearings or bushings . I let the garden hose run down onto the bike . Get it ? Or is that logic to hard to understand ? But also I'm not a clean freak or go to an extreme with it .

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have no issues with getting my rig all muddy/nast/dirty, but best believe when I get home its getting cleaned up. I have to much coin wrapped up in it to treat it like crap. My ride is always in top form and ready to ride.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter95 View Post
    I have no issues with getting my rig all muddy/nast/dirty, but best believe when I get home its getting cleaned up. I have to much coin wrapped up in it to treat it like crap. My ride is always in top form and ready to ride.
    Amen to that brotha !

Off the back...
    At the end of the ride, if the brakes work, the suspension works and the shifting works, the bike goes onto the hook and waits for me to return. The only time I clean my bikes is when I'm selling them or they have poop stuck to them. They like the dirt...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    At the end of the ride, if the brakes work, the suspension works and the shifting works, the bike goes onto the hook and waits for me to return.
    +1
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney bones View Post
    "I run water DOWN the bike, i never make direct contact" lol dude has some magic water

i understand caution but some of you guys are a bit much. you would have us think that these "mountain" bikes are for dry road use only. just saying...
    Well, gotta say that if I got for a muddy ride, I won't take care of mud on my bike during the ride, because, it's what I went for (not always for mud, but). When done riding, but the bike on the hook at the trail head, wash it down gentle with the water hose, let it dry a bit, put in the car, then back home I clean about everything that still has mud or need to be dried out. But brakes and suspension are getting a good cleaning after a dirty ride. Drive train is ok, since I take care of it regularly and don't over lube the chain.

And when I can, I try to avoid muddy trails, so I spend less time cleaning and more time riding

David

mtbr member
    Do not use pressure hose water, that stuff at the carwash. That ruins bearings.

If you use hose or shower (I was my bike in bathtub) use low strength flow.

Besides the obvious, here are two pro tips:

A) if you use degreaser to clean drive mechanics (chain, casette,...) take care of your backside disc and calipers - wrap them with nylon bag. The grit and crap you remove with brush can contaminate rotors/pads. Also, the degreaser can enter your hub and ruin the beating grease. Tilt your bike to the right side to minimise possibility of that. You could also try to seal somehow that space between cassete and frame.

B) Your seat clamp tightens the tube. There is an opening in that tube to allow this tightening. Through that hole a lot of water can come into your bike frame and gather at the bottom bracket area. After washing the bike, take out seat post and turn the bike upside down, leave it like like that overnight.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

mtbr member
    I pay my kids to wipe the bike down for a 1/2 hour for post ride cleaning, one kid has a dry rag the other uses a baby wipes. Baby wipes work pissa by the way.

Once a month, or more if needed I pull off the wheels,chains and cables for cleaning and maintenance.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon[CRO] View Post
    B) Your seat clamp tightens the tube. There is an opening in that tube to allow this tightening. Through that hole a lot of water can come into your bike frame and gather at the bottom bracket area. After washing the bike, take out seat post and turn the bike upside down, leave it like like that overnight.
    I use a fork's dust boot and slide my seat post inside it then put it back in the frame and slide the boot down to the seat tube. It then cover that clamping hole, prevent dirt to accumulate and scratch the seat post and make crunchy noise, and the boot is tight enough at the top to prevent almost anything liquid to enter it... Kinda seal everything up and look nice too. I use it for winter riding, where I wash off my bike with hot water after the ride, so it prevent dirt and liquid to get inside the frame and then damage the BB...

David

mtbr member
    I only hose my bike if i have to...if its just light dirt, ill use a spray bottle with water, mist the area and wipe it with a cloth..

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhack View Post
    I pay my kids to wipe the bike down for a 1/2 hour for post ride cleaning, one kid has a dry rag the other uses a baby wipes. Baby wipes work pissa by the way.

Once a month, or more if needed I pull off the wheels,chains and cables for cleaning and maintenance.
    Why you paid them ?

Child work for free. You already feed them, lodge them, buy them clothing, drive them, etc...

David

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Kinda seal everything up and look nice too. I use it for winter riding, where I wash off my bike with hot water after the ride, so it prevent dirt and liquid to get inside the frame and then damage the BB...

David
    Yes, or that, just prevent water and dirt going into tube in the first place. I use piece of old inner tube, stretches nice over clamp and a bit over seat post.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast