Results 1 to 50 of 50
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    155

    Cleaning your bike to prevent rust/currosion question.

    Hi, I Seem to be obsessed with keeping my bike spotless after each trail even after just cycling on the road. I'm quite paranoide about rust and currosion i was wondering if a little bit of grit is worth worrying about.

    If i went for a small 10 - 20 mile ride on the road afterwards i would be making it spotless removing every spec of dirt. Any tips or advise how to stop being so paranoide and if grit or small particals of grit would actually cause curosion sometimes thought i do leave it for a week but then i really start to get paranoid would that cause corosion to?

    Yours sincerely
    Wayne

  2. #2
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,847
    Quote Originally Posted by frehgv View Post
    Hi, I Seem to be obsessed with keeping my bike spotless after each trail even after just cycling on the road. I'm quite paranoide about rust and currosion i was wondering if a little bit of grit is worth worrying about.

    If i went for a small 10 - 20 mile ride on the road afterwards i would be making it spotless removing every spec of dirt. Any tips or advise how to stop being so paranoide and if grit or small particals of grit would actually cause curosion sometimes thought i do leave it for a week but then i really start to get paranoid would that cause corosion to?

    Yours sincerely
    Wayne
    Don't worry about frame corrosion that much, unless you ride a steel bike with old paint or cheap metal... But I'm the same about getting my bikes all cleaned up after the ride... Not because of corrosion, because of my nature. And a clean bike is a happy bike

    Its more of a personal thing, and my point of view is that I like to clean my bikes, the same way a guy like to clean his car on front of its garage on a saturday morning...

    But I think you are experiencing the clean-o-philie. Its a common disease that most new riders get when they purchase new bikes or parts. Some people get away with it in only weeks, some have to deal with it for the rest of their life.

    And its always much cooler to show off on a shiny bike

    David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    641
    My new enduro has only been ridden once so far..... it still has dirt on it.
    its a mountan bike, i bought it to ride it, not clean it after every ride.

    Hose your bike down, use compressed air to get rid of the water, lube your chain and spray some boeshield on your deraileurs and put it in the garage til you ride again. Its really not that big of a deal.

  4. #4
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    My new enduro has only been ridden once so far..... it still has dirt on it.
    its a mountan bike, i bought it to ride it, not clean it after every ride.

    Hose your bike down, use compressed air to get rid of the water, lube your chain and spray some boeshield on your deraileurs and put it in the garage til you ride again. Its really not that big of a deal.
    Never use water close to hubs, bushing, bearing, etc. neither do with the air compressor...

    Chain should not be lube much, since the factory grease on it will hold a lot. (unless you have unfortunately degreased your chain). Chain should be wipe off with a rag, same for the derailleurs jockey pulleys.

    Wipe the frame with a rag, wipe off dirt on the fork's stanchions and seals.

    Then put it in the garage.

    It take 5 mins and no need to rinse it off or dry it with compressed air.

    David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,459
    if its an aluminum frame, dont worry. if not, its time for an upgrade if the frame or parts do rust

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KAZU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    124
    I'm a cleanophile too, but it's mostly because I'd rather be in the shop than sitting on the couch.

    Beer tastes better in the shop.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    74
    Like DavidC said "A clean bike is a Happy Bike." And dirt/mud is weight. I was way too into racing off-road r/c's cleanliness becomes an obsession. And my bike's over 10 years old I can only imagine how it would look today if I had it since it was new. Im almost to the point of seriously finding out the cost of painting it because its not up to liking.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Never use water close to hubs, bushing, bearing, etc. neither do with the air compressor...

    Chain should not be lube much, since the factory grease on it will hold a lot. (unless you have unfortunately degreased your chain). Chain should be wipe off with a rag, same for the derailleurs jockey pulleys.

    Wipe the frame with a rag, wipe off dirt on the fork's stanchions and seals.

    Then put it in the garage.

    It take 5 mins and no need to rinse it off or dry it with compressed air.

    David
    Dont spray high pressure air or water at seals or bearings and you are fine.
    I also keep water away from the controls. even at the shop i work at thats how we wash bikes before they get serviced. You can use water without ruining things, just gotta be smart about it.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,478
    Water is your bike's enemy. Water will find it's way into bearings, cable housing, fork seals, even through nipples into rims depending on rims of course. Avoiding pressure washing and using as little water as possible is ok, but water still has a way of going where you don't want it. Dirt won't hurt a thing, just keep the drive train clean, cable housing free on gunk, and change your fork oil often. If you spend your time doing those things instead of keeping the paint pretty, your bike will last a lot longer. I often just wipe my bike down with simple green and a rag, no water.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    641
    now simple green is something to really be careful with. if left sitting for too long it will begin to corrode aluminum parts.

  11. #11
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,252
    I run water DOWN the bike, i never make direct contact , just let the water slowly clean off what it can just by its pure flow .Use a low rate of flow of water if you can , i then use a micro fiber towel to clean up what i can by hand, lube up chain , and run a dry towel over the bike again, and then store it. Works fine. A mountain bike is meant to get dirty .

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    420
    A standard garden hose is not going to ruin your bike. Letting your bike sit in water will.

    Hose it off, use a mild detergent if you want, i suggest a car wash soap. You can dry with a compressor, just dont put the wand right up on your bearings and bushings.

    After that I like to use some bike lust and polish it up. that treatment gets done every few rides. It's also so I can inspect my frame for the start of anything major.
    The drive train should be wiped down with a dry rag and then lubed and wiped til no more dirt comes off on the rag after every ride. Grit and mud drastically shortens chain and cassette life.

    Yeah, it's an offroad bike, but that doesn't mean you should neglect it.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    54
    "I run water DOWN the bike, i never make direct contact" lol dude has some magic water


    i understand caution but some of you guys are a bit much. you would have us think that these "mountain" bikes are for dry road use only. just saying...

  14. #14
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,252
    No dumbass , I don't use hi pressure washers or spray a stream of water directly into the bearings or bushings . I let the garden hose run down onto the bike . Get it ? Or is that logic to hard to understand ? But also I'm not a clean freak or go to an extreme with it .

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    120
    I have no issues with getting my rig all muddy/nast/dirty, but best believe when I get home its getting cleaned up. I have to much coin wrapped up in it to treat it like crap. My ride is always in top form and ready to ride.

  16. #16
    RideDirt
    Reputation: aedubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter95 View Post
    I have no issues with getting my rig all muddy/nast/dirty, but best believe when I get home its getting cleaned up. I have to much coin wrapped up in it to treat it like crap. My ride is always in top form and ready to ride.
    Amen to that brotha !

  17. #17
    Off the back...
    Reputation: pinkrobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,008
    At the end of the ride, if the brakes work, the suspension works and the shifting works, the bike goes onto the hook and waits for me to return. The only time I clean my bikes is when I'm selling them or they have poop stuck to them. They like the dirt...
    dgsmills.com
    #pinkrobeyyc
    CMBA

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jason B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    At the end of the ride, if the brakes work, the suspension works and the shifting works, the bike goes onto the hook and waits for me to return.
    +1
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

  19. #19
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,847
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney bones View Post
    "I run water DOWN the bike, i never make direct contact" lol dude has some magic water


    i understand caution but some of you guys are a bit much. you would have us think that these "mountain" bikes are for dry road use only. just saying...
    Well, gotta say that if I got for a muddy ride, I won't take care of mud on my bike during the ride, because, it's what I went for (not always for mud, but). When done riding, but the bike on the hook at the trail head, wash it down gentle with the water hose, let it dry a bit, put in the car, then back home I clean about everything that still has mud or need to be dried out. But brakes and suspension are getting a good cleaning after a dirty ride. Drive train is ok, since I take care of it regularly and don't over lube the chain.

    And when I can, I try to avoid muddy trails, so I spend less time cleaning and more time riding

    David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Daemon[CRO]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    349
    Do not use pressure hose water, that stuff at the carwash. That ruins bearings.

    If you use hose or shower (I was my bike in bathtub) use low strength flow.

    Besides the obvious, here are two pro tips:

    A) if you use degreaser to clean drive mechanics (chain, casette,...) take care of your backside disc and calipers - wrap them with nylon bag. The grit and crap you remove with brush can contaminate rotors/pads. Also, the degreaser can enter your hub and ruin the beating grease. Tilt your bike to the right side to minimise possibility of that. You could also try to seal somehow that space between cassete and frame.

    B) Your seat clamp tightens the tube. There is an opening in that tube to allow this tightening. Through that hole a lot of water can come into your bike frame and gather at the bottom bracket area. After washing the bike, take out seat post and turn the bike upside down, leave it like like that overnight.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Metalhack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    313
    I pay my kids to wipe the bike down for a 1/2 hour for post ride cleaning, one kid has a dry rag the other uses a baby wipes. Baby wipes work pissa by the way.

    Once a month, or more if needed I pull off the wheels,chains and cables for cleaning and maintenance.

  22. #22
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon[CRO] View Post
    B) Your seat clamp tightens the tube. There is an opening in that tube to allow this tightening. Through that hole a lot of water can come into your bike frame and gather at the bottom bracket area. After washing the bike, take out seat post and turn the bike upside down, leave it like like that overnight.
    I use a fork's dust boot and slide my seat post inside it then put it back in the frame and slide the boot down to the seat tube. It then cover that clamping hole, prevent dirt to accumulate and scratch the seat post and make crunchy noise, and the boot is tight enough at the top to prevent almost anything liquid to enter it... Kinda seal everything up and look nice too. I use it for winter riding, where I wash off my bike with hot water after the ride, so it prevent dirt and liquid to get inside the frame and then damage the BB...

    David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HighLife420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    646
    I only hose my bike if i have to...if its just light dirt, ill use a spray bottle with water, mist the area and wipe it with a cloth..

  24. #24
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhack View Post
    I pay my kids to wipe the bike down for a 1/2 hour for post ride cleaning, one kid has a dry rag the other uses a baby wipes. Baby wipes work pissa by the way.

    Once a month, or more if needed I pull off the wheels,chains and cables for cleaning and maintenance.
    Why you paid them ?

    Child work for free. You already feed them, lodge them, buy them clothing, drive them, etc...



    David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Daemon[CRO]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Kinda seal everything up and look nice too. I use it for winter riding, where I wash off my bike with hot water after the ride, so it prevent dirt and liquid to get inside the frame and then damage the BB...

    David
    Yes, or that, just prevent water and dirt going into tube in the first place. I use piece of old inner tube, stretches nice over clamp and a bit over seat post.
    Daemon
    "Worship the Machines."
    www.nivas.hr | www.worship.hr

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    155
    Thanks for replies I'll take alot of those tips in mind! I guess i'll always be obsessed with keeping my bikes clean after every ride!

  27. #27
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081
    I have a 75 gallon barrel of gasoline in my garage (you know..just in case Iran has some ideas). I just dip the whole bike in that once a month. I usually put out my cigar before hand because I'm safe like that.

    BTW did you know you can drop a lit match into a barrel of gas and it won't ignite? Strange but true. Good thing

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,280
    I use diluted Simple Green, rinse with hose rite away, pick up bike and bounce on the tires a few times to allow most water to shake off and towel dry! I then spray the whole thing with auto instant detailer out of a spray bottle, wipe with micro cloth. Its a light wax that does NOT turn chalky white. Everyone comments on how I keep my bike looking new! This whole process takes about 15 minutes and I only do this after every third ride! Been doing this for years and never dealt with corrosion or rust!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    238
    Just FYI, Instant Auto Detailer, Quick Detailer, is a light polish not a wax. There is such a thing as spray wax. I used to detail cars when I was in high-school. I store my bike inside, so if there's anything but a light dust on it it gets scrubbed down real good. I'm always asked if it's brand new until I point out how beat up all the components are.

    Wheels and tires first, degreaser on the tires, tooth brush + soap and water until everything's gone. New bucket of soap and water and a bigger soft bristled brush. Degreaser cut with water on the frame, w.e else and than scrub it down good with the brush. Occasionally I'll take the wheels off, spray some degreaser or windex on the rotors, and clean them up with #0000 steel wool. I've used this to clean up really expensive chrome wheels and exhaust, you can use it on windows with out scratching, it won't mess up rotors. Electric leaf blower to get the majority of water off, clean rag to get the rest. If I'm bored I'll wax it.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    42
    I'm the same way with mine except I'm not paranoid......i like keeping it clean.

  31. #31
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Looks like you have a possible psychological issue here?

    It's a mountain bike, not the fine china.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tartosuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    667
    i'm not a big bike cleaner myself..i like toi keep the drivetrain/shocks clean, other wise i dont do much except remove the excess dirt.

    one good trick i started using this year.:

    Once your bike is clean use pedros bike lust!
    Pedro's Bike Lust Cleaner - 12 oz. at REI.com

    it does miracles for me, its like ""armor all" for bikes, its safe for disc...you just spary the whole bike with it and wipe down...it makes the bike shine and the dirt just dont stick as much after,,,make it easier to clean the next time. it is especialy good for the hard to reach places.
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,280
    Thats the same effect the quick auto detailer I described above does, only at half the cost from any auto parts store!

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    53
    I noticed that if I only clean my transmission after my rides and once and a while clean the entire bike, it tends to give me less problems, which includes those very annoying noises.

  35. #35
    Come on, dare me!
    Reputation: Jerome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    501
    I see that not many of you are using brushes in complement with water. I did get a set of brushes from Pedro's (see pic) and it really makes a difference in maintaining a clean hassle-free and noise-free bike. The large brush (top center) is especially useful for the fork, wheels and frame. The conical brush (upper right) is good at dislodging dirt and mud from those hard-to-reach places like behind the FD and between rear wheel and BB. I also have a chain cleaning brush that's good for scraping dirt/grease deposits on the chainrings and between the sprockets. As a plus, you don't use as much water as when you clean your bike with hose alone. For me, it's really been a game changer! BTW, using a degreaser + relube on your chain from time to time is a good thing - it really makes your transmission spin more freely.


  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16
    There's nothing wrong with keeping your bike clean. It's not necessary to clean it obsessively though unless you ride in mud a lot.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jetta_mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    484


    Be one with the dirt.

  38. #38
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Quote Originally Posted by jetta_mike View Post

    Be one with the dirt.
    Like...



  39. #39
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,847
    Quote Originally Posted by jetta_mike View Post


    Be one with the dirt.
    Yeah, you don't need bearings to huck'n roll just a bolt on shaft packed with grease and you're set !

    Here some dirty snow from my commute today. The bike is in the basement right now, drying out from the hot water shower. Ain't no brushing and wiping, just lube the chain and cables when needed and keep the fork clean.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cleaning your bike to prevent rust/currosion question.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1326761638.646481.jpg  

    Cleaning your bike to prevent rust/currosion question.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1326761737.948111.jpg  

    Cleaning your bike to prevent rust/currosion question.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1326761764.162915.jpg  

    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  40. #40
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    when i see a clean mtb, it's like seeing a racehorse in a petting zoo. "ooo, that's pretty...and...sad..."

  41. #41
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    when i see a clean mtb, it's like seeing a racehorse in a petting zoo. "ooo, that's pretty...and...sad..."
    I'll only clean it to get it even more dirty

    I'm treating my bikes with care, only allow fresh mud to cover them. I don't wanna look like a poser riding around with a 3 day mud cake over my bike. I have very nice comments at the trailhead on how clean is my bike, and get more at the end of the day on how dirty it is
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  42. #42
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    I don't wanna look like a poser riding around with a 3 day mud cake over my bike.
    mmm, good point...

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    I never wash a bike then put it away. I've had two seized bottom brackets due to this, and I'm careful not to spray water in there.

    If it's really muddy then I will give it a spray before I ride because I know any water on the bike will not have a chance to settle in the bearings.

  44. #44
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,847
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    I never wash a bike then put it away. I've had two seized bottom brackets due to this, and I'm careful not to spray water in there.

    If it's really muddy then I will give it a spray before I ride because I know any water on the bike will not have a chance to settle in the bearings.
    Yeah, I was talking about my winter bike, not like those sissy MTB that needs extra care and perfume...

    Off course I'll wipe down my MTB after a good wash and what I usually do is just ride it around for a few minutes to get all the moisture remaining out and not let anything seize. Like you do with your car after a carwash. You don't park it for a week, you gotta drive it a bit to get all the water out.

    For your BB problem, just either use cartridge BB or external one (which are both sealed) and also drill a hole under the BB shell on the frame. If your cables pass under the BB, you can either also just remove the plastic guide once in a while and this will allow you to drain the BB, where all the liquids and dirt in the frame goes to.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    No problem, dried mud isn't hurting anything. Will give it a spray before I ride it next.


  46. #46
    Huckin' trails
    Reputation: David C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,847
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    No problem, dried mud isn't hurting anything. Will give it a spray before I ride it next.

    Not even hurting the wifey ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Yeah, some wifes may not like walking by it in the garage.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: innovator8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon[CRO] View Post
    Do not use pressure hose water, that stuff at the carwash. That ruins bearings.

    If you use hose or shower (I was my bike in bathtub) use low strength flow.

    Besides the obvious, here are two pro tips:

    A) if you use degreaser to clean drive mechanics (chain, casette,...) take care of your backside disc and calipers - wrap them with nylon bag. The grit and crap you remove with brush can contaminate rotors/pads. Also, the degreaser can enter your hub and ruin the beating grease. Tilt your bike to the right side to minimise possibility of that. You could also try to seal somehow that space between cassete and frame.

    B) Your seat clamp tightens the tube. There is an opening in that tube to allow this tightening. Through that hole a lot of water can come into your bike frame and gather at the bottom bracket area. After washing the bike, take out seat post and turn the bike upside down, leave it like like that overnight.
    Great tip in the crud in the seat post, that is often an overlooked area.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by frehgv View Post
    Hi, I Seem to be obsessed with keeping my bike spotless after each trail even after just cycling on the road. I'm quite paranoide about rust and currosion i was wondering if a little bit of grit is worth worrying about.

    If i went for a small 10 - 20 mile ride on the road afterwards i would be making it spotless removing every spec of dirt. Any tips or advise how to stop being so paranoide and if grit or small particals of grit would actually cause curosion sometimes thought i do leave it for a week but then i really start to get paranoid would that cause corosion to?

    Yours sincerely
    Wayne
    Keeping the chain clean is a huge part in preventing it from rusting. As far as the body goes, you most likely wonít see a problem unless it is made out of steel. Steel is made from iron, which is a metal that needs to be extracted from iron oxide found in red rock. Combine iron with oxygen and water and that is where rust comes from. The lubrication process is even more important. Once the chain is clean, lubricate it with a lubricant. The safest kind of lubricant you can find is free of CFCs, VOCs, and solvent.

    - Team Estro | Conger LH | The World's First LUBRIHIBITOR

  50. #50
    I'm just messing with you
    Reputation: wv_bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    5,424
    I've got a frame here that I noticed the paint has failed on this season. I suspect it's because I never kept it clean. It took nearly 20 years for it to be a problem (96 model bike)
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Similar Threads

  1. Yet another bike cleaning question
    By Stedenko in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 07:15 PM
  2. How to prevent frame rust/corrsion?
    By F3caffeine in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-06-2007, 06:15 PM
  3. bike soaked in rain, how to prevent rust?
    By chimpanzee in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 05:54 AM
  4. rust question
    By SSweetleaf in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 08:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •