mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Chumba XLC or Banshee Pyre?

Any with experience in one or both frames opinion will be great

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    I'm loving my Chumba. I like the beefy frame tubes, the gusseted welds, the Horst link suspension. It's a great bike for the more technical trails in my area.

I don't have any experience with the Pyre.

mtbr member
    Have you seen the upcoming Rune yet? Looks as delicious as a young Viking princess.

More info here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a Pyre, any specific questions?

The travel is quite linear. Seems to be best when run at 20% sag. I haven't heard of this being an issue, but I like to run the main (bottom frame) pivot not too tight so the travel is smoothest...and resultingly it comes loose; I need to shoot and email off to the banshee guys to find out what I am missing, but have been to lazy to figure out who to send my question to. The frame is quite stiff, so it is very responsive. The handling is awesome, I feel extremely comfortable on it, even with a longish stem. More than stable enough at speeds, but with a steep enough head angle that it is incredibly quick steering and agile. Looks damn fine as well...
    The only thing I would be concerned about is the linear travel if you like to hit drops and if you land hard... the pivot issue is probably nothing but me missing some little detail.