Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ******ed or Branded??

Chumba EVO vs. Canfield One

You know the routine questions to these types of threads so I'll spare you. So I'll get to the meat and potatoes of this.

Rider wieght 200+
    Rider style: very aggressive trial, long XC, light DH'ing, jumps anything with in reason and drops anything with in reason also( 6-7ft)
    Terrain: AZ, rocky, steep ups and downs with tight and open singletrack.
    Soul purpose to replace long travel XC bike and FR bike with something in the middle to do both. Narrowed it down to two bikes. Actually three but decided agains the Nomad. I figure I try something different.
    Setup: light freeride with a spare 160mm fork on hand to swith off to for those epic XC rides.

So any and all input would be awesome!!!

GAME ON!
    canfield. the evo is ugly
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Banshee Rune. I've been drooling over one for the past year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    doodooboi, your post has Canfield Brothers written all over it

mtbr member
    May 2004

Canfield!!!

Dude, you will love this bike! It climbs great (just as good as my 5" Motolite) and flat out bombs the descents. I built up mine up and was shocked it only weighed 29 lbs (it's probably tipping 30 since putting on a Wotan instead of the Nixon). Every time I ride it, or even think about ridding it, brings a smile to my face. And customer service is outstanding! Chris answers the phone personally, where else can you get that.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l
    Dude, you will love this bike! It climbs great (just as good as my 5" Motolite) and flat out bombs the descents. I built up mine up and was shocked it only weighed 29 lbs (it's probably tipping 30 since putting on a Wotan instead of the Nixon). Every time I ride it, or even think about ridding it, brings a smile to my face. And customer service is outstanding! Chris answers the phone personally, where else can you get that.

Chris
    Looks great with the Wotan. Whats the BB height?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Never ridden an EVO (never even seen one in person) but after doing a little research there is no comparision

weight - One medium 7.1lbs which includes the shock (TST Air R) vs 7.8lbs EVO without shock

fork - the One cries out for a 180mm fork! the 160mm Nixon and Wotan are great but damn, I wish someone made a 180mm travel adjustable fork That would be the fork for the One. I would kill to get my hands on a 66 Light ETA (170mm with a long a2c).

rear shock - One is 7"/8" with a long stroke vs. the EVO 6" that uses only a 7.8x2.0

2 bikes in 1 - that is the One, have a lightweight fork and wheelset for the AM days and then have a heavy wheelset and big fork for the shuttle assisted days. If Chris and Lance can't break it on Mushroom Rock then I have no chance of breaking it!

Chris

GAME ON!
    canfield FTW ding ding ding ding
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I love my lucky, I love dealing with the bro's, but common dudes, be a little less zealous, other companies make good bikes too. I'm stoked on my ride, I'm stoked on working with the bro's and stoked about my bike situation. But seriously, other companies make good bikes as well. Lets be a little more objective here.

THEN buy the canfield

mtbr member
    May 2004
    With the Wotan or Nixon at 160mm the bb height is 14.1 The great thing is that I'm not mashing pedals like I did on the Motolite. Last year and this year I've been riding alot of Palmer Park (rocky Colorado). I used pedal strike all the time, even with good techinque. But on the One it's almost gone.

Chris

******ed or Branded??
    I have been leaning towards the Canfiled more only because of the options that are available to change the HA and BB height with just a taller fork or even with the two different length of travel you have as a rear.

the main reason for the EVo still being in competition with the Canfield is cost. I can get the EVO cheaper than the One. But I am getting a great deal on the One also. So either way I still win at the end with that.

So I am back to which bike will be well suited for my riding style and purpose?
    Anyone here got some feedback from the EVO??? So far it's been a land slide for the Canfield.

Oh for got to metioned that I will be able to demo a EVO but to demo a One would be so hard since they only make a hand full of them. I am demoing the Evo tommorrow and I'll go from there.

mtbr member
    I love how the Chumba looks. Its the mad scientist of bikes. Plus they are all made here in SoCal.
    Click click, BLOODY CLICK WAFFLES!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by lazybeaner
    I love how the Chumba looks. Its the mad scientist of bikes. Plus they are all made here in SoCal.
    That's one crazy-high center of gravity though. Also not a fan of the DHX air at all.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lazybeaner
    I love how the Chumba looks. Its the mad scientist of bikes. Plus they are all made here in SoCal.]
    not sure if you noticed but socal is a desert, canfield are actually made somewhere with some hills
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by EDizzleVR6
    not sure if you noticed but socal is a desert, canfield are actually made somewhere with some hills

good point!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EDizzleVR6
    I'm in SoCal, and I've got a view of some 10,000' mountains if I step out my front door. I think those qualify as "hills."

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    I'm in SoCal, and I've got a view of some 10,000' mountains if I step out my front door. I think those qualify as "hills."
    No kidding, you can't get more variety than SOCal.
    beaches, canyons, valleys, mountains, deserts, forests, and even tar pits.
    But back to the op, I haven't ridden either bikes, but I do ride a Chumba and they build quality frames with great customer service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I second the Banshee Rune: It meets your requirements perfectly. I have one and love it. I use it for xc as well as DH and moderate FR (only moderate fr because of my own cowardlyness, not due to the bike).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    personaly i would go with the evo i own an evo but my friend has canfield i find that the evo soaks up the bumps in a smoother way and is more comfortable to ride. both great bikes also chumba cust service can not be beaten and they stand behind there product. great guys at chumba

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo328
    personaly i would go with the evo i own an evo but my friend has canfield i find that the evo soaks up the bumps in a smoother way and is more comfortable to ride. both great bikes also chumba cust service can not be beaten and they stand behind there product. great guys at chumba

Which canfield does your friend have??? There new parallel link design has greatly improve from the past!!

The customer service for both of them are outstanding in a very high standard. But I am looking for the best overall bike between these two bikes. I have a great relationship with chumba crew and I want to support them but the I also a Jedi and I love there suspension design and can't deny the fact it's basically out of this world good! So I have a tough desicion on my hands.

Well today is the day I get to demo the EVO so I will try to put up a small ride report when I do get a chance.

Thanks for all that had a great input from both ends of the spectrum.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    I have a great relationship with chumba crew and I want to support them
    That's not what they said. The canfield tubing looks thin and is made in Taiwan...the EVO's top tube looks like it will raunch you on any drop. You should go for a 575. I like the Cali comment..it's like saying AZ is flat!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Does it matter?
    You're just going to spend time polishing it in your garage.

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Does it matter?
    You're just going to spend time polishing it in your garage.

At least it won't be in pieces and sitting in my spare bedroom or living room or kitchen table..

mtbr member
    Based on what you describe as your intended purpose, I would also seriously look at the Delirium-T*.

I've heard great thing about the Canfield bikes and the one I looked at and rode briefly was certainly solid feeling and well -built.

I liked the EVO, but I wouldn't put it over the DT or the Canfield.

* Assuming price and weight aren't big factors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I haven't ridden or read much about any of them but I love the looks of Chumba EVO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast