******ed or Branded??

Chumba EVO vs. Canfield One

You know the routine questions to these types of threads so I'll spare you. So I'll get to the meat and potatoes of this.

Rider wieght 200+
    Rider style: very aggressive trial, long XC, light DH'ing, jumps anything with in reason and drops anything with in reason also( 6-7ft)
    Terrain: AZ, rocky, steep ups and downs with tight and open singletrack.
    Soul purpose to replace long travel XC bike and FR bike with something in the middle to do both. Narrowed it down to two bikes. Actually three but decided agains the Nomad. I figure I try something different.
    Setup: light freeride with a spare 160mm fork on hand to swith off to for those epic XC rides.

So any and all input would be awesome!!!

GAME ON!
    canfield. the evo is ugly
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Banshee Rune. I've been drooling over one for the past year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    doodooboi, your post has Canfield Brothers written all over it

mtbr member
    May 2004

Canfield!!!

Dude, you will love this bike! It climbs great (just as good as my 5" Motolite) and flat out bombs the descents. I built up mine up and was shocked it only weighed 29 lbs (it's probably tipping 30 since putting on a Wotan instead of the Nixon). Every time I ride it, or even think about ridding it, brings a smile to my face. And customer service is outstanding! Chris answers the phone personally, where else can you get that.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l
    Dude, you will love this bike! It climbs great (just as good as my 5" Motolite) and flat out bombs the descents. I built up mine up and was shocked it only weighed 29 lbs (it's probably tipping 30 since putting on a Wotan instead of the Nixon). Every time I ride it, or even think about ridding it, brings a smile to my face. And customer service is outstanding! Chris answers the phone personally, where else can you get that.

Chris
    Looks great with the Wotan. Whats the BB height?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Never ridden an EVO (never even seen one in person) but after doing a little research there is no comparision

weight - One medium 7.1lbs which includes the shock (TST Air R) vs 7.8lbs EVO without shock

fork - the One cries out for a 180mm fork! the 160mm Nixon and Wotan are great but damn, I wish someone made a 180mm travel adjustable fork That would be the fork for the One. I would kill to get my hands on a 66 Light ETA (170mm with a long a2c).

rear shock - One is 7"/8" with a long stroke vs. the EVO 6" that uses only a 7.8x2.0

2 bikes in 1 - that is the One, have a lightweight fork and wheelset for the AM days and then have a heavy wheelset and big fork for the shuttle assisted days. If Chris and Lance can't break it on Mushroom Rock then I have no chance of breaking it!

Chris

GAME ON!
    canfield FTW ding ding ding ding
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I love my lucky, I love dealing with the bro's, but common dudes, be a little less zealous, other companies make good bikes too. I'm stoked on my ride, I'm stoked on working with the bro's and stoked about my bike situation. But seriously, other companies make good bikes as well. Lets be a little more objective here.

THEN buy the canfield

mtbr member
    May 2004
    With the Wotan or Nixon at 160mm the bb height is 14.1 The great thing is that I'm not mashing pedals like I did on the Motolite. Last year and this year I've been riding alot of Palmer Park (rocky Colorado). I used pedal strike all the time, even with good techinque. But on the One it's almost gone.

Chris

******ed or Branded??
    I have been leaning towards the Canfiled more only because of the options that are available to change the HA and BB height with just a taller fork or even with the two different length of travel you have as a rear.

the main reason for the EVo still being in competition with the Canfield is cost. I can get the EVO cheaper than the One. But I am getting a great deal on the One also. So either way I still win at the end with that.

So I am back to which bike will be well suited for my riding style and purpose?
    Anyone here got some feedback from the EVO??? So far it's been a land slide for the Canfield.

Oh for got to metioned that I will be able to demo a EVO but to demo a One would be so hard since they only make a hand full of them. I am demoing the Evo tommorrow and I'll go from there.

mtbr member
    I love how the Chumba looks. Its the mad scientist of bikes. Plus they are all made here in SoCal.
    Click click, BLOODY CLICK WAFFLES!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by lazybeaner
    I love how the Chumba looks. Its the mad scientist of bikes. Plus they are all made here in SoCal.
    That's one crazy-high center of gravity though. Also not a fan of the DHX air at all.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I love how the Chumba looks. Its the mad scientist of bikes. Plus they are all made here in SoCal.]
    not sure if you noticed but socal is a desert, canfield are actually made somewhere with some hills
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by EDizzleVR6
    not sure if you noticed but socal is a desert, canfield are actually made somewhere with some hills

good point!!

mtbr member
    I'm in SoCal, and I've got a view of some 10,000' mountains if I step out my front door. I think those qualify as "hills."

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    I'm in SoCal, and I've got a view of some 10,000' mountains if I step out my front door. I think those qualify as "hills."
    No kidding, you can't get more variety than SOCal.
    beaches, canyons, valleys, mountains, deserts, forests, and even tar pits.
    But back to the op, I haven't ridden either bikes, but I do ride a Chumba and they build quality frames with great customer service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I second the Banshee Rune: It meets your requirements perfectly. I have one and love it. I use it for xc as well as DH and moderate FR (only moderate fr because of my own cowardlyness, not due to the bike).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    personaly i would go with the evo i own an evo but my friend has canfield i find that the evo soaks up the bumps in a smoother way and is more comfortable to ride. both great bikes also chumba cust service can not be beaten and they stand behind there product. great guys at chumba

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo328
    personaly i would go with the evo i own an evo but my friend has canfield i find that the evo soaks up the bumps in a smoother way and is more comfortable to ride. both great bikes also chumba cust service can not be beaten and they stand behind there product. great guys at chumba

Which canfield does your friend have??? There new parallel link design has greatly improve from the past!!

The customer service for both of them are outstanding in a very high standard. But I am looking for the best overall bike between these two bikes. I have a great relationship with chumba crew and I want to support them but the I also a Jedi and I love there suspension design and can't deny the fact it's basically out of this world good! So I have a tough desicion on my hands.

Well today is the day I get to demo the EVO so I will try to put up a small ride report when I do get a chance.

Thanks for all that had a great input from both ends of the spectrum.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    I have a great relationship with chumba crew and I want to support them
    That's not what they said. The canfield tubing looks thin and is made in Taiwan...the EVO's top tube looks like it will raunch you on any drop. You should go for a 575. I like the Cali comment..it's like saying AZ is flat!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Does it matter?
    You're just going to spend time polishing it in your garage.

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Does it matter?
    You're just going to spend time polishing it in your garage.

At least it won't be in pieces and sitting in my spare bedroom or living room or kitchen table..

mtbr member
    Based on what you describe as your intended purpose, I would also seriously look at the Delirium-T*.

I've heard great thing about the Canfield bikes and the one I looked at and rode briefly was certainly solid feeling and well -built.

I liked the EVO, but I wouldn't put it over the DT or the Canfield.

* Assuming price and weight aren't big factors.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I haven't ridden or read much about any of them but I love the looks of Chumba EVO.

mtbr member
    I just built up an 09 Evo here in Colorado. I weighs in at 33 pounds and climbs great on technical terrain but I have not dialed in the DHX air for smooth climbs. I really like the balance front to back. The standover height is the only issue I have with the bike. The frame is beefy and I have no worries about taking it to the ski resorts this summer. I have never ridden the canefield but just throwing out my initial impressions on the EVo. I have gotten a 20 mile ride in and a couple shorter 7 mile rides and the weight has not really been much of an issue compared to my 4 inch xc bike. It also helps that
    I put a custom built wheelset that is much lighter than the wheels on my xc bike.

mtbr member
    EVO is my dream bike.....just on looks alone....nothing about really like it...awsum!

+ theres the name.....Chumba Evo....how cool is that?!
    Hold on 2 your f***n fillings !!!!!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    That's not what they said. The canfield tubing looks thin and is made in Taiwan...the EVO's top tube looks like it will raunch you on any drop. You should go for a 575. I like the Cali comment..it's like saying AZ is flat!
    Where do you think most tubing is made?

Where do you think Easton tubing comes from?

It's also not as if Canfield's production company doesn't have any manfacturing innovations under its belt.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    Zits dont count.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris9702l
    And customer service is outstanding! Chris answers the phone personally, where else can you get that.

Chris
    Turner, Ventana, Knolly to name a few.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have an EVO and have been riding it for the better part of the year. Every time i look at the bike on the way to ride it makes me happy. I have done some 16-22 mile XC/AM rides, and a few days up in the park at whistler no concerns about the bike not holding up. It climbs like a much lighter bike and at about 200 lbs with gear myself, i have been able to tune out the DHX-AIR's "weak" mid-stroke by reducing the boost chamber volume (turning the threaded fastener) and raising the pressure near the max. With this setup I have not bottomed out the rear suspension nor do I wallow in the mid stroke during climbing.

I came off a xc hardtail and the weight has not bothered me in the least. . . well except for putting it on the roof an suv after a long ride.

Chumba's customer service is also awesome, and it is great to support small businesses.

I am tall so stand over is not an issue

mtbr member

Your an idiot if you think SoCal is a flat desert.
    Click click, BLOODY CLICK WAFFLES!

ride hard take risks
    Your an idiot if you think SoCal is a flat desert.
    I believe he was being sarcastic after all he lives in So.Cal.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    I didnt like the standover on the Chumba. I felt while it climbed well it was not as strong as the One. This could be due to the fact that almost every Evo I have seen (as with the one i have ridden) has a DHX air on it. well known for its weak midstroke. The Rune is a sweet bike too but I hear from buddies that it has some interesting mid stroke tendencies as well. I didnt feel the Evo was as plush on the techy sections as the One and I definately didnt feel i got as much forward movement out of the rocky climbing sections on the Evo, the One seemed to push itself forward more easily.

When I rode the DT back to back with the RFX and the One, I was surprised that I liked the One overall the most for AM and FR riding. If I wasnt going to climb as much I might choose the DT over the One (it is by no means a bad climber, just didnt seem to be as lively and it certainly weighs more). If you want more beef than the One provides do a Diggle.

Dave, Sherwood, Noel and Chris/Lance are all killer dudes. They are all great to deal with. I have ridden with Dave and he is no slouch, but I do have to say that after riding with Chris --- it is kinda cool that you can buy a bike designed from someone who can throw down like he can. The man can ride. Lance is certainly amazing also. Not to say that Noel doesnt have some skills either. It will be interesting to see what I do, but I am guessing that there will be a Canfield in there some where. Those DT's are super sweet too though (they are even more expensive than the One though).

******ed or Branded??
    Alright as you know I had a chance to demo a chumba EVO. Overall I really see how the bike is well liked and where it gets those great compliments.
    Quick setup list. full x-9 drive train with Triple chain ring up front from truvativ. Fox 36 at full length, and rocking a dhx air5.0. Juciy 5 brakes and kenda nev. for tires. I believe it had a 70mm stem at least. Only thing I couldn't get use to is the narrow handle bars, well narrow for me. I have a sunline VS one on my 575. overall it was a great setup something close to what I would have done besides the handlebars.
    Pros:
    Well I will start with the climb attribues of the bike. The bike really climbs really well, I mean really well and it's stiff as hell laterally. I took her out to a local trail, something that I know exactly what gear to be in at all times. First gradual hill on the trail I got up it pretty quickly and realize why. I was at a higher gear I have ever had been on to get up this hill. That's where it took me by total surprise with the great suspension desgin there was no pedal bob at all and the rear just tracks and push you on-ward. I thought that the front would be wondering on me alot but it stayed tracked and true all the way up. I can total feel the 68+ HA on her as I climbed which helped at keeping the front down and from wondering all while I had the fork at full travel. I did have to fiddle with the seat height quite a bit once I got it where I liked it I just exceled that much more on the climbs. Unfortunately no review on techy climbs but just some steep and gradual cilmbs with not so much rocks. The suspension design really does not require any pro pedal to help assist with the climbs. You felt no pedal bob at all and it was nice to feel that forward projection when you mash on the pedals
    Now for the fast singletracks and decending attributes. Being that I had to raise the seat quite a bit I really felt realy high on the bike. So I put it back down a bit and she rode very well over rocks and with lots of speed. On the open straight aways and big swooping turns it was fun but felt really weird in regards to the high bb and stand over I didn't really felt confidence to lean the bike so I had to slow down a bit. Again the suspension design really shined here again. At speed and even on slow sections the bike just really ate up what ever it was in it's way. Not once did I feel that I would've have popped off my pedals while riding. (I ride Platforms only). You really didn't notice the small bumps cause it was eating it all up very well and with the bigger stuff or what ever big stuff I could find it felt very bottomless feeling to it. There a few tiny drops on the trail but you can make it bigger than it looks by just really sending it out there. So I did, bike felt really balance in the air and just soaked up the landing like butter. I even landed a little off trail and squirrely and still manage to pull it off thanks to the great suspesion setup. It truly saved me from a ugly looking cactus. It was really fun in the air and but you had to kind work at it a bit to get it up especially when you are just going along the trail and see something you want to hit it took a little more muscle to get up then my 575. But still jumped very well and fun as heck.
    CONS:
    Now for the ugly, First off I'll start with the dreaded standover height. I am 5'10" with an inseam of 31" and the top tube was basically held my family jewels for me. It was really right there and practically scared me even before the ride began. I could see myself trying something really techy and of course not making it all the way and as I try to put a foot done, crunch there goes my future kids. Now like I metioned I fiddled with the seat to get it right for comfort pedalling. And boy let me tell you I really felt like I was on a circus bike being so high on the bike. I really felt like on top of the bike and could not get that out of my head. Now along with the top tube so high going through those fast tight turns trying to lean the bike over was alright. You really had to keep an eye on the top tube and use that instead of the seat. Which for me it was quite uncomfortable. But once you did so it just railed through the turns but I really had a hard time getting use to it. and basically gave up on trying to lean it over. This is pretty much my only negative it you can call it negative thing to say of the bike was the stand over and the TT being right there.

Overall:
    It is a great bike and like I said earlier I can see where it gets it fans but it really is one of those bikes that you gotta have that type of riding style for it and get use to. I like to have a little more room for those really steep , rocky, and techy all at once in the turns we have in AZ that I like to try to ride. Now with a bike with a standover like that is quite scary. Overall the bike just feels really high and more on the FR of things not the AM side of riding. The BB is also a bit high even with the new redesign rear triangle. But I can see it used for those North shore kind of riding though where you want to be pretty much on top of the bike to see the skinnes and keep balance.
    I know some has used to DH with in races and DH trails are filled with tight techy turns but I just can't see myself using it for that purpose I am very use to a low slung dh bike that the evo would kind through me off a bit. I know the bike can do it but it's just not for me and I need that handicap in certain areas in bikes that I look for. Such as SO and BB height and little more slacker head angle. My 575 sits at a nice 66.7 HA with a 160mm fork and feels great. The bike is geat in all asspects when you see the bigger picture but it's just not for me. I hope my review help folks out there and I tried to be as honest and unbias point of view as best as I can. I didn't want to really compare it to my present ride (575) but just wanted a to ride the bike for what it is and how it felt to me in accordance to how I ride.

EVO= fun, stiff, climbs, bombs,

But it just didn't leave a lasting impression. Sorry Chumba...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Any pedal feedback on the One?

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Where do you think most tubing is made?

Where do you think Easton tubing comes from?

It's also not as if Canfield's production company doesn't have any manfacturing innovations under its belt.
    Than why are their bikes 2-3k more than most?
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by pureslop

That's the bad part!! I probably won't get a chance to demo a one. They are hard to demo let alone to get it.

But I did ended up demoing the new ASR7 from yeti and let me tell you. That's the whole package there. They pretty much hit the nail with that bike. All the issues I personally had with the EVO was basically resolved by riding the ASR7. Man Now it's the decision if I should wait for the release of the ASR7 or just drop the coin for the canfield.

The ASR7 was that great I would go with out a bike for the two months that I would have to wait.

banned
    Why not add something from Lapierre to the mix? I was pretty well impressed when I met with the company at their booth at Eurobike. Fantastic lineup and the reception is quite good. They're going to be a serious competitor in the coming years. To be honest, it would be tough to even decide between a Lapierre and a DW RFX, whenever it comes out. The offerings in this thread are pretty good, too. Although I like standover.

ride hard take risks
    Whats wrong with your Canfield doodooboi
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Whats wrong with your Canfield doodooboi
    Its a full blown DH bike not up to AM capabilities.

old broken downhiller
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    The canfield tubing looks thin and is made in Taiwan...I like the Cali comment..it's like saying AZ is flat!
    Any tube on a Canfield frame that "looks thin" is a special tubing who's name I forget right now - there is a vertical rib running down the center of these tubes that makes them super beef for the size.

I don't know about a One, but a Can-Diggle has these tubes in the rear end, the linkage, and the tube the linkage bolts to in the frame.

And as far as the made in Taiwan thing goes - yea, they may be welded up overseas, but either Lance or Chris is on-site during the entire run, supervising production and personally handling the quality control. I don't let it worry me, you shouldn't either. These frames are top-drawer quality. And no big-travel FR/AM frame pedals nearly as efficiently.

If the Bro's had Sherwood Gibson, Tony Ellsworth, or some other American welder that you guys "trust" weld these frames up, no one would be able to afford them...
    Refusing to grow up since 1978...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pureslop
    Shoot a PM to my buddy Supramk388. He's got a One & loving it. Here's a thread about it:
    Supra's Special Canefield Bros. Thread