mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Chuma evo or xcl? Good or just ok?

My friend is in the market for a new bike; he has a 10 year old LTS. He rode my moment and liked the upright riding position of these "new" all-mountain rigs. He is looking at the Nomad, but I've also been giving him new and cheaper options like the Chumba evo or xcl. But he is not yet convinced about the Chumba so I offered to post this to get people's opinion on the Chumba bikes.

This will be used for trail riding. Some small 1-2 ft jumps and drops. Nothing crazy.
    Your opinions on the bikes will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'd say that the XCL is an excellent buy, but I haven't actually gotten a ride on one yet. Its on my short list right now, along with the Transition Covert.

What is it about the Chumba that he's worried about? From what I've seen and heard, their CS is great, and they aren't afraid to answer questions either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah, I also told him to check out the Covert. He said the MBA magazine article on the xcl wasn't that great. I told him check out the reviews but he says the 11 reviewers could just be Chumba employees hyping up their own bikes. So I said I'll start a thread so that we can also hear from the real people with bad or good comments.

conjoinicorned
    He said the MBA magazine article on the xcl wasn't that great
    ummm...so basically he didn't actually read the article then? MBA loved the bike like crazy.

there are some reviews posted on the chumba board.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    I just finished building up an XCL, see pics here.

The frame is stout where it counts. Check out the gussets, the seat tube brace, and the shock mount. The made-in-Taiwan version of the frame is well made. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The Truvativ XR seatpost is total junk IMHO, but the rest of the standard build kit is decent. Overall I'm happy with the combination.

I only have one ride on mine and I'm a newbie to full suspension bikes, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'm enjoying it so far.

And oh yeah, I'm not a Chumba employee, dealer, or relative. I'm a paying customer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    ummm...so basically he didn't actually read the article then? MBA loved the bike like crazy.

there are some reviews posted on the chumba board.

They reviewed the previous years XCL, and they love every bike. The new XCL/Evo are nice though.
    So is the Covert and 575, heckler and Moment.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    This will be used for trail riding. Some small 1-2 ft jumps and drops. Nothing crazy.
    The Nomad and the Evo sound like more bike than he needs, they're both made to get crazy on for sure. I haven't ridden an XCL, but it looks plenty tough and the reviews have been good (MBA review was very positive, not sure what he's talking about). For the kind of riding you're describing, it seems like a perfect fit.

Transition makes some pretty killer bikes, so the Covert will probably be nice as well. There's also the Titus Motolite, Intense 6.6 (I know, it's bigger and has 6+ inches of travel, but it just looks way weaker than the Evo and the Nomad), and Turner 5 spot to think about in this category, as well as plenty others I can't think of right now.
    Just thought of another to check out, Ventana of course!

I have an Evo can vouch for Chumba being a quality company with top notch customer service.