Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Interlectchewal

Chromag TRL Pictures (X-Post from Canadian Bikes)

UPS delivered this late Friday afternoon:

It's my friend Erik's Chromag TRL. The colo(u)r is New Cat Yellow.

It will be built up in the next few weeks with an '07 Fox 36 TALAS R, Mavic Deetraks, Chris King headset, RaceFace Atlas cranks, Thomson post / X4 stem, probably SRAM X.7, and a few assorted bits from his recently sold Banshee Chaparral.

A special thanks to Ian at Chromag for his patience in dealing with all of our questions and getting the frame out so quickly once everything was finally decided.

See a ton(ne) more pictures here.

Build pictures to come . . .

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Congrats!

local trails rider
    When I look at the pics(s) on Chromag's website, I see very different gusseting and the way the chainstays attach to the BB shell is different too. Is this the current style?

Your retarded
    I got sooo close to buying one of those it's not even funny. Out of curiosity, what does it weigh?
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I just had one of those in my hands the other day. Stopped by Ian's place to pickup my new Sakura. FedEx has it at the moment, supposed to arrive here tomorrow. I can't wait to put it together. Also picked up a couple of his new seat post QR's, and a set of Chromag bars. All nice lookin' stuff.

I'm building the Sakura out as an super lite trail bike, no twitchy XC race geo but going to come in at around 22lbs. Will be used for assaults on Park City singletrack.

Pics soon....

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    When I look at the pics(s) on Chromag's website, I see very different gusseting and the way the chainstays attach to the BB shell is different too. Is this the current style?
    perttime: To save myself some time, here's what I wrote to someone who had the same question on another forum:
    Nice catch. This is the new, revised TRL. The "half round" gussets replaced the side plate gussets at the headtube. Chromag owner and designer, Ian Ritz, explained that the new style gussets create less of a stress riser. He stressed (no pun intended) that there were no problems with the old ones, but he and his welder are convinced that this is the better method. The chainstay yoke joint is now the same as (or very similar to) the one on the Chromag Samurai. The lighter yoke and gussets save ½ to ¾lb, according to Ian, which should put the weight closer to 6lbs than to 7. [I didn't weigh it.]

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    I just had one of those in my hands the other day. Stopped by Ian's place to pickup my new Sakura. FedEx has it at the moment, supposed to arrive here tomorrow. I can't wait to put it together. Also picked up a couple of his new seat post QR's, and a set of Chromag bars. All nice lookin' stuff.

I'm building the Sakura out as an super lite trail bike, no twitchy XC race geo but going to come in at around 22lbs. Will be used for assaults on Park City singletrack.

Pics soon....
    That Sakura sounds perfect. I can't wait to see it.

The brass lever quick releases are so cool. Erik's going to pick one up soon, along with a saddle.

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    I got sooo close to buying one of those it's not even funny. Out of curiosity, what does it weigh?
    You want to trade? I showed Erik the pictures of your frame and he was quite impressed.

Erik looked at Dobermanns when he bought his latest park bike. Actually, Dobermann welds the Union Street Bikes Working Class Hero frame, which one of his park riding friends just bought.

The complete TRL came in around 34lbs, but I didn't have a scale and he forgot to have the shop weigh the frame before they built it up. My guess would be 6.25-6.5lbs.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    You want to trade? I showed Erik the pictures of your frame and he was quite impressed.
    LOL. Not only is my last name the serial number, I had Mathieu sign the frame under the semi-transparent powder coat. I'm very into custom one-off's (34 longboards will paint that picture) and I don't plan to unload this one anytime soon.

Honestly though, I thought long and hard about your bikes before I pulled the trigger on this one. The TRL was so close to what I needed/wanted with the Stylus was in a near second. For production bikes, I'm not aware of another company that's doing what Chromag's doing in terms of steal HT's that are built for more than just XC. I hope you guys keep it up and succeed because I think that's your meal ticket.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Err

Pics soon....
    Stoked to see those!

I picked up a chromag lynx saddle on the way home from whistler- looks super comfy, especially the nose for technical climbs. can't wait to try it.

Err, before you came up, a few of us hooked up with my buddy Zane, who lives in the westside and rides a stylus. Here it is:

(I really hope to own a chromag someday... not that I dislike my currect rides)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    The Stylus is so sweet. I actually was planning to build a Samurai for myself but it was a bit delayed so just doing the Sakura for now.

The planned Sakura build -
    Frame - Med Chromag Sakura, blue
    Fork - Maverick SC32
    Wheels - I9's laced to ZTR 355's, blue hubs, blue spokes
    HS - King, blue
    Stem - Thomson
    Bars - Chromag
    Grips - ODI lock-on
    Shifters - X0
    Brakes - Hope Mini Pro
    R Der - X0
    F Der - XTR
    Cranks - XTR
    Cassette - XTR
    Seat - Selle SLR?
    Post - Thomson Masterpiece
    Clamp - Chromag
    Tires - Maxxis Crossmark UST
    Pedals - ???

Should come in very low 20 lb range and with the travel adjust on the fork run a 68 or 70 deg HT angle depending on the travel setting.

"El Whatever"
    Dang... I just bought a Hope seat QR...

That Chromag is way nicer!!!
    Check my Site

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Got a Stylus last March. Built it up as a do it all bike.

Geometry is great and works well for me.

ride hard take risks
    Very nice, interesting use of wedges for tire clearance.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

local trails rider
    The geometries of the Medium sized Chromag frames look sooo right: good length and angles.

Does anybody, here, know if there is a big difference in standover between the TRL and the Gypsy? I am a bit standover challenged but do not mind good support for the seat post.

I also see very different pics of the Stylus: some with a longer seat tube with a brace and some without. I am getting a bit confused about what exactly are the current models.

Interlectchewal
    Does anybody, here, know if there is a big difference in standover between the TRL and the Gypsy? I am a bit standover challenged but do not mind good support for the seat post.
    Since all the numbers are the same except for the seat tube, my guess is that the standover at the midpoint of the top tube would be roughly half of the difference in seat tube lengths, so about an inch and a quarter more standover on the Gypsy. This is, of course, assuming the same fork and tires and bottom cups on the headset. Does that make sense? Someone please correct me if my logic is wrong.

I also see very different pics of the Stylus: some with a longer seat tube with a brace and some without. I am getting a bit confused about what exactly are the current models.
    I'm not sure. It could depend on the frame size. Or it could be that there was a design change. Chromags are built in very small batches, so there's always a chance that the next batch will have different details. To find out for certain, I'd contact Ian at Chromag and he can tell you exactly what the latest frames look like.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    Since all the numbers are the same except for the seat tube, my guess is that the standover at the midpoint of the top tube would be roughly half of the difference in seat tube lengths, ...
    The thing is, I think the seat tubes are measured center-to-top and the TRL seems to have more seat tube extending above the top tube. So, the difference might be even less.

Interlectchewal
    The thing is, I think the seat tubes are measured center-to-top and the TRL seems to have more seat tube extending above the top tube. So, the difference might be even less.
    Good point. I didn't really look that closely and I thought of that immediately after I posted, but I couldn't drag myself out of bed to edit.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Chromag rules and so does Ian...such nice bikes. I just got a Sakura earlier this year and LOVE that bike - so much fun. The geo suits me perfectly!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

holy sakura batman!!!!!

Acadian- that sakura is wicked sweet! Whats it weigh? Im seriously considering a samurai for my next hardtail, if my trusty 04 DNA ever craps the bed- in the next millenium prolly. BTW- sick chromags everyone else

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    Chromag rules and so does Ian...such nice bikes. I just got a Sakura earlier this year and LOVE that bike - so much fun. The geo suits me perfectly!!
    Beautiful! Can't wait to get mine together, might have to snap a pic of the frame and fork...

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by evil plug
    Acadian- that sakura is wicked sweet! Whats it weigh? Im seriously considering a samurai for my next hardtail, if my trusty 04 DNA ever craps the bed- in the next millenium prolly. BTW- sick chromags everyone else
    thanks mate - I decided to pay the upcharge and get a custom color (fluo Green)

The frame is a Med and came in at 4.25 lb nakkid. I can't remember what the full build came out to - would have to weight her tonight when I get home. She isn't the lightest since I decided to use somewhat stout parts like Funn Bars, Pike, thicker tires, etc... My guess is in the upper 20's..

Just roll it......

Last week's Looney Race

So, last week's Looney race in Whistler was sponsored by Chromag and there were a ton of folks racing on theirs.

Our buddy Zane did the race on his stylus and then at the apres, they had prizes for the best looking Chromags. I didn't do the race (sounds like I'm glad I missed it), but Zane was saying there were some seriously blinged out rigs. Tyler Morland won the grand prize for his rig apparently. Z took a pic of all of them side by side and it was super cool. I'll see if I can get that from him.

EB

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Those Chromags are seriously nice bikes.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Tyler Morland won the grand prize for his rig apparently.
    EB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast