mtbr member

Chromag Sakura or Samurai?

I'd like to buy a Chromag frame this summer and I'm looking for advice from Chromag owners to decide on which one. I've read that the Sakura is more for XC and the Samurai more all mountain. I weigh 210 lbs. and do mostly XC rides up to 25 miles but also do jumps and drops up to 3 foot. My current bike is a Soma Groove Reynolds 631 steel hardtail with a Fox Vanilla 125, low riser bars, sun ryhno lite rims and other strong parts. The Soma frame has lasted almost four years but I'm worried that the drops I do now will eventually break it. Does the Sakura sound like a frame that would hold up to 3 foot drops or would a clyde be better off with the heavier Samurai? Also, what's the best way to order a frame? I've been trying to find a dealer, is it easier to contact Chromag directly? Thanks

mtbr member
    I don't know much about the Sakura or Samurai, I do have a Stylus though. I dont have an exact weight on my bike.. but I am pretty sure it is under 31 lbs.. I weigh 165 and I wouldn't want to take 3 footers on anything lighter then this bike, imo.

Of those two, I am pretty sure the Samurai would be the better choice. It is still a pretty light frame and Chromag says its okay for moderate drops.

Also, I just e-mailed Chromag directly with questions I had about their frames. Ian was very helpful and I ordered directly from him, awesome customer service.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Pretty sure the sakura will stand that kind of abuse without problem. They call it their XC frame, but whistler XC means 3'+ drops, steep rock faces, and log rides.... as well as epic technical climbing.

I would go for the samurai personally though, it's got bigger tire clearance and the geometry will work better with a longer travel forks.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    ...but whistler XC means 3'+ drops, steep rock faces, and log rides....
    yep, and women in Whistler have penises

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    yep, and women in Whistler have penises

Interesting.... how was that for you?

mtbr member
    Samurai. It is designed for exactly what you want, plus some room to grow.

mtbr member
    Sweet bike Sly. Thanks for the info, I'll try contacting Ian.