Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    My dogs are killin me
    Reputation: LLrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    189

    Chromag Sakura...info/opinions?

    I realize this is a pretty new frame that Chromag made. I'm currently riding a Mountain Cycle Rumble that is setup for XC/trail riding. I ride trails mostly and race XC occassionally.

    The Sakura really caught my eye. I've recently been looking at the Cove Handjob XC and the On One Inbred geared for my next frame choice. Both are about 4.5 pounds. The Sakura is 3.75 pounds!!! Also it allows for a 5" fork. I've emailed Chromag(no response yet) to see if this frame has uninterrupted rear derailluer routes(my Rumble does) and also to find out how much the frame will cost.

    It looks to be a great frame and, man o man, how do you beat a steal trail hardtail that weighs 3 3/4 pounds! That's nutz! Just wanted to find out if anybody has any information on this frame becuase I am extremely interested. I'm wondering if they come in any colors other than green with a gold headbadge too(barf!).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LLrider; 06-16-2006 at 11:09 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    472

    Chainstays look WEAK!

    I would look @ a Chamelwon or something if you are building an AM hardtail. the chainstays on that look really weak, and you may want to go to a 6" fork in the future.

    And I agree, the frame is ugly.

  3. #3
    My dogs are killin me
    Reputation: LLrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    189
    I should have included that I'm not a hardcore type of guy and don't really do drops. I guess this would be for light all mountain riding. I definitely don't want to go over 5" in the front though.

    I'm also looking for a steel hardtail that is relatively light since I only weight 155. I have an aluminum and I am looking for something with a softer ride but still hardtail.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    472

    Have you seen the Cotic Soul in the HT thread?

    that is the most beautiful HT I have ever seen.

    I would recommend a "On One Inbred"

  5. #5
    Made in China
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    379
    If I ever ride that thing and hit a few rocks that's around here in SoCal it would be on it's way to trash can. It does look like an OK XC bike though, looks like a 29er with the steep HT angle or you just like your bike turns really quick. 5inch fork and 3.7lb steel frame? The math does not add up and you can't escape gravity....unless you weight 100 lbs. There are no reinforcements anywhere and both seat and chain stay look awfully thin to me.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: islander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    723
    "Just wanted to find out if anybody has any information on this frame becuase I am extremely interested. I'm wondering if they come in any colors other than green with a gold headbadge too(barf!)."

    They'll paint it in the colour of your choice, so don't worry about how it looks in the photo. Cost is around $1100CDN for the frame, which is handbuilt. They don't keep stock, so it's a case where you place your order, tell them the colour and then you wait till its made.

    Think of it like the old Rocky Altitude TO or Brodie Sovereign, only with angles for forks wiith >80mm and overall geometry which is more relaxed.

  7. #7
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,888
    Quote Originally Posted by mp29k
    I would look @ a Chamelwon or something if you are building an AM hardtail. the chainstays on that look really weak, and you may want to go to a 6" fork in the future.

    And I agree, the frame is ugly.


    HELLO you guys? Do a little research on Chromag. LOL, I think this bike can handle socal easily. Their idea of XC is our idea or full-on free-ride. Those chainstays look weak because they are steel- which is way stronger than aluminum. Having said that, I would get the samurai- a little more weight, but ready for anything, and clearance for 2.7 tires.

    I think it's funny that there were pictures on Chromag's site of Tyler Morland riding Whistler's "gargamel" on a Chromag with reba XC fork, long before "The Collective" came out- which featured him riding the same trail on an intense M3, sporting full DH gear. Chromag would not make a weak bike, their local terrain simply would destroy it immediatly. Go ride some whistler "XC" and I think you'll agree- chromag is based in whistler and you see a lot of locals riding the sh*t out of chromag bikes.


  8. #8
    Made in China
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by FM


    HELLO you guys? Do a little research on Chromag. LOL, I think this bike can handle socal easily. Their idea of XC is our idea or full-on free-ride. Those chainstays look weak because they are steel- which is way stronger than aluminum. Having said that, I would get the samurai- a little more weight, but ready for anything, and clearance for 2.7 tires.

    I know steel is stronger than alumium but there is only 3.75lbs of steel to go around.

    As for people riding it in Northshore......I know this 52 year old dude can school me and most guys I know on a huffy...I'm not kidding a huffy. He is all skills, and yesterday he showed up with a single speed...40-18 cross bike with drop bars and loose headset(he found the bike) and guess what he still schooled us. It's not the bike.....and for a normal over weight and unskill riders like me.....that frame would go to the trash can in a hurry.

    BTW when asked why he rides those sh!tty bikes on trails most would wear full pads?.....he said I just want to F#$# with people with nice bikes.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Professor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    116
    Chromag is top notch...

    I would recommend shooting the guys over at Chromag an email and tell them your riding style. I had been considering a Chromag for a little over a year and all it took was their customer service to make my decision. They responded to my emails right away; which is more than I can say for all the other companies that never replied.

    They have several stock colors to choose from; however, they can do custom colors for a slight upcharge. A big plus, for me, the frames are powdercoated.

  10. #10
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,888
    Quote Originally Posted by duke777
    I know steel is stronger than alumium but there is only 3.75lbs of steel to go around.

    As for people riding it in Northshore......I know this 52 year old dude can school me and most guys I know on a huffy...I'm not kidding a huffy. He is all skills, and yesterday he showed up with a single speed...40-18 cross bike with drop bars and loose headset(he found the bike) and guess what he still schooled us. It's not the bike.....and for a normal over weight and unskill riders like me.....that frame would go to the trash can in a hurry.
    Right, and since LLrider is 150lbs and not looking to do any light FR that chromag should be totally fine for him. BTW- I've had 5 different handmade 853 steel hardtails, all between 3.5 and 5lbs, they are plenty durable if they are made well. The lightest one I had lasted over 4 years, finally I sold it and after 2 more years it developed a small crack that was easily fixed. I've had two dekerfs, bought both used, one broke after like 6 years, again easily fixed small crack on the chainstay. All those frames went to Moab every spring. I'm 170 and we ride pretty rough trails in washington and BC. Steel is real! Once I started riding FS, I broke a few frames- I would say a well made 4lb steel frame can easily be stronger than a 6lb aluminum FS frame. I guess it's all in the quality control and design, but most custom steel builders do well there. Just my .02c.

    PS- Professor, I'd love to see a picture of your chromag! I almost bought a samurai a few years ago but picked up my dekerf implant used instead.

  11. #11
    Made in China
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Right, and since LLrider is 150lbs and not looking to do any light FR that chromag should be totally fine for him. BTW- I've had 5 different handmade 853 steel hardtails, all between 3.5 and 5lbs, they are plenty durable if they are made well. The lightest one I had lasted over 4 years, finally I sold it and after 2 more years it developed a small crack that was easily fixed. I've had two dekerfs, bought both used, one broke after like 6 years, again easily fixed small crack on the chainstay. All those frames went to Moab every spring. I'm 170 and we ride pretty rough trails in washington and BC. Steel is real! Once I started riding FS, I broke a few frames- I would say a well made 4lb steel frame can easily be stronger than a 6lb aluminum FS frame. I guess it's all in the quality control and design, but most custom steel builders do well there. Just my .02c.

    PS- Professor, I'd love to see a picture of your chromag! I almost bought a samurai a few years ago but picked up my dekerf implant used instead.

    853 tubing HTs are really nice and RARE....or really expensive. Been looking for a 853 tubed 29er HT .....nothing under 1000 new. I use to have an old GT timberline steel HT which rode really well and lasted my friend a few years and then me a few years but it's around 5lbs.

    I sworn not to ride HT anymore after my FS bikes but the FS bikes made me such a lazy a$$, I sat most of the way down San Juan trail in SoCal. For those who don't know the trail I assure you it's not the smoothest.

    Now after trying my friends' 29er I'm thinking about a HT again. Funny how things turn around.

    Anyone know a good 853 tubed 29er frame for cheap?

  12. #12
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,888
    Quote Originally Posted by duke777
    I sworn not to ride HT anymore after my FS bikes but the FS bikes made me such a lazy a$$, I sat most of the way down San Juan trail in SoCal. For those who don't know the trail I assure you it's not the smoothest.
    I've ridden the san juan, it's fun! cool views too.

    yeah I agree- the duallies encourage you to ride fast and take chances, but the hardtails force you to be smooth and not get lazy. I'm thinking it's good to switch it up every few years.

  13. #13
    Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Reputation: scrublover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,390
    Quote Originally Posted by FM


    HELLO you guys? Do a little research on Chromag......................

    They are nice looking frames. Chromag was on my short list of builders for a new hardtail when I broke my Curtlo frame, but I ended up going with the Peyto frame instead. Mainly because I got a sweet deal on it; otherwise Chromag was high up on the list of contenders.

    edit: of their frames, the Samurai seems to be the middle ground between beat the crap out of it rig and XC machine. seems like it would be the best bet for what the OP describes in wanting.
    Last edited by scrublover; 06-20-2006 at 04:37 PM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

  14. #14
    My dogs are killin me
    Reputation: LLrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    189

    Ah Ha!!

    Here we go. I did email them and here is the response. Apparently the Sakura is supposed to be a steel xc racing frame.

    Response:
    "The Sakura is now available however we are making very small qty’s. The price is $900 US. I think a little more than the other options you’re looking at.

    While we post 5” fork length as a geometry reference on our geo chart, this is definitely an x/c level bike that is made for a rider who wants a “race-light” frame and we do not recommend rugged trail use with a long travel fork. A couple riders are using a 5” fork with this bike but are aware that the application is light duty. If you are interested in something that you can ride hard regularly on some rugged trail you might consider the Samurai. It is a pound heavier and comes in at the same price. It would be more appropriate if you were looking to run something like a Pike."

  15. #15
    Made in China
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    379

    AHA! is right!

    Quote Originally Posted by LLrider
    Here we go. I did email them and here is the response. Apparently the Sakura is supposed to be a steel xc racing frame.

    Response:
    "The Sakura is now available however we are making very small qty’s. The price is $900 US. I think a little more than the other options you’re looking at.

    While we post 5” fork length as a geometry reference on our geo chart, this is definitely an x/c level bike that is made for a rider who wants a “race-light” frame and we do not recommend rugged trail use with a long travel fork. A couple riders are using a 5” fork with this bike but are aware that the application is light duty. If you are interested in something that you can ride hard regularly on some rugged trail you might consider the Samurai. It is a pound heavier and comes in at the same price. It would be more appropriate if you were looking to run something like a Pike."

    Thanks for clearing things up for everyone. Nice looking XC rig! Might be a really nice SS rig too!

  16. #16
    Come on, dare me!
    Reputation: Jerome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    433
    Not to shower your enthousiasm, and I love the Sakura, but you can read here http://www.pinkbike.com/news/2007-Fresh-Meat-1.html (bottom of the page) that the Sakura comes at 4,25 lb for a M frame, which is the same as my 18.5 RM Blizzard (Reynolds 853). BUT you can get any color scheme with Chromag and the geometry seems spot-on for technical trail (sloping TT and relaxed angles).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •