Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Chris King or Cane Creek?

I'm building up an AM rig and I can't decide which headset to go with. All aesthetics aside, which headset should I use, a Chris King or a Cane Creek SOLOS? Please base your answers purely on mechanical superiority and not on weather you like one more than the other.
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

King of vegetarians
    Did you check the cane creek 110 http://www.canecreek.com/cane-creek-110-headset.html ?
    I don't think that you could go wrong with a 110 year warranty.
    Black Sheep Dream Bike Design
    www.blacksheepbikes.com
    The future is not retro proof.

mtbr member
    I don't have a Cane Creek Solos, but I have an S-2, one of their cheaper models and I'm amazed at how good it is. Now, I've read a fair amount of bad reviews for the S-2 and took a gamble, but it's worked flawlessly for me and I honestly think it's better than Chris King. The two headsets are very similar - how different can headsets be? similar weight, great bearings, but Cane Creek felt like it had less seal drag so that's why in my opinion Cane Creek is better. Speaking solely from a mechanical point of view, CC headsets are centered by a cone washer while King headsets are centered by an o-ring, which can cause creaking. I've had the S-2 for about a year so I can't compare it to the reliability of a King, but the bike gets ridden extensively and sees trail riding, light freeride, and urban.

FishZapper
    I have a King and a Creek on separate bikes. Both perform their intended tasks without issue, so whichever you select should be a fine choice. Take whichever saves the most cash IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Cane Creek

VooDoo user.
    Set up properly both are excellent Headsets.

That said, the 110 would be my choice.

Reviewer/Tester
    I run both Solos and CK headsets. The Solos seems to be stiffer to me, it locks down better than the CK, the CK feels like it has a little more 'play' in it.

However, both are very good headsets, and either one would do the job.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Set up properly both are excellent Headsets.

That said, the 110 would be my choice.

110 is going on my upcoming new build

HIKE!
    Cane Creek, Solos, 110, S8, whatever, the Cane Creeks have better engineering than the King. Chris King doesn't have the licensing of the Cane Creek Aheadset. The King No-Threadset design is an inferior go-around to the Cane Creek patents.

So some searches on the Turner forum especially about King headset creaking.

The King is dead, long live the king of headsets: Cane Creek.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all your responses. I think I am going with the Cane Creek 110. From what I've heard, it has superior engineering to the CK, plus I love the fact that it has a 110 year warranty
    ..... ___@
    ... _`\<,_
    .. (*)/ (*)
    .. ~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 8shadow8
    Thanks for all your responses. I think I am going with the Cane Creek 110. From what I've heard, it has superior engineering to the CK, plus I love the fact that it has a 110 year warranty

mtbr member
    Go Cane Creek... Save yourself around $80...

not so super...
    I've found the Solos to be an exceptional headset. Great performance, same 10 year warranty as a CK and way less $. The 2 different height top-caps is another plus.

That said, I want a 110

Last edited by SSINGA; 01-14-2008 at 07:33 AM.
    Nothing to see here.

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Show off!!! Nice Endorphin!
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTreadOnMe
    I have a King and a Creek on separate bikes. Both perform their intended tasks without issue, so whichever you select should be a fine choice. Take whichever saves the most cash IMO.
    Same here, I agree. -GT2005

~I Ride In Circles ~
    Cane Creek Zs22 Aheadset

I can't complain. It's well constructed and the install was super simple. The oversized setup and butter smooth and it was simple to adjust. Took me a lot less time to get the tension right. Love it!
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

g3h6o3
    The 110 is really sexy and looks well built. I wonder if I would have bought it instead of the nothreadset had I known earlier. That said, CK have a very good reputation and I doubt you will have any problem with their headsets!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 8shadow8
    All aesthetics aside, which headset should I use, a Chris King or a Cane Creek SOLOS?
    Neither, get an S2 or one of many perfectly good $40 alternatives and put the other $90+ towards something useful. This answer is based somewhat on mechanics, but mostly common sense. But if somebody told me I had 135$ and could only spend it on one headset and could not keep the change, I'd get the Cane Creek 110. 110 year warranty?

Edit: Sorry, I meant S3, not S2, though I have had good luck with the S2, too.
    Last edited by kapusta; 01-15-2008 at 07:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    A Cane Creek S-8 is selling for only $35-40 on eBay, Superb headset, significant smoother and stiffer than my stock Aheadset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Cane Creek

I built up a bike a few years ago, couldn't decide whether to go just basic S-2 or a Solo. I emailed Cane Creek asking them if they thought I should "upgrade" to the Solo. They replied that for my riding style (AM light) the S-2 would be fine. They didn't even try to suggest that I would be better off with the Solo. Thought that was pretty cool of them. Now I have S-2s on two of my bikes and an S-3 on another and never a problem.

I don't think CC makes the S-2 in a 1 1/8" anymore but they are probably still available on flea bay. The S-3 (essentially a cheaper S-8) is still made.
    Last edited by xcguy; 01-15-2008 at 06:43 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have a Cane Creek S-3 on my Heckler and it works perfect!! I also have a brand new CK that I got free with my Fox fork and have been debating if I should install it on the Sette Shadow hardtail I am building up. I finally decided against installing a headset that costs as much as the frame and bought another S-3 for $30 to install. I am sure the CK is great but cannot imagine how it can work any better than the Cane Creek. Now I just have to decide if I should sell the CK or just keep it as a spare or for a future build.
    Last edited by GTV8; 01-15-2008 at 12:38 PM.

AW_
    locked - time out
    Check out Sunline too... they make a REALLY sweet headset.

I've had several CKs and won't buy another one until they get rid of that silly rubber o-ring and replace it with some sort of a compression wedge.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I ran a King HS - no problems. Sold it with a bike (increased value)
    I ran a CC S-2 for 1.5 years, no problems. Destroyed a set of bearings when being stupid trying to remove it.
    I am now on a CC S-3. No problems.

Praise Bob

Agree with other posters

I have an S2 on my old bike that gave me years of trouble free riding. I spec'd a CK on my new bike mostly for the sexiness of the King name. I dont see that it performs any better than the S2 and in fact has developed a creak even though it is torqued to spec.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Hmm... does this thread represent some kind of tipping point? Most posts are pretty much in favour of Cane Creek. Opinion is usually much more evenly divided. Interesting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast