Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Chilcotin vs. Rune

last year, i purchased my first full suspension bike, a transition bottle rocket. i wanted a bike that was burly, could take dhing in a bike park and could be ridden on the trails. unfortunately, the br is too small for me, the seat tube does is not high enough with a 400mm seat post fully extended. it does not go that fast for me on the trails, but it is great at going down. i do have a heavy build which is great at a bike park. i think this bike is way above my skill level since i don't really know how to jump that well.

i am 6'2" with about a 36 inseam and long arms. i have been riding an xl 29er xc hard tail for the last 3 years. i want a bike that i can get better with while i learn how to jump and do things that i can't do with the hard tail.

i have been reading the various posts about 4 bikes and think i have settled on these 2. both have adjustable geometry, but it seems like the rune takes 27 wheels easier. i want to sell the br as a frame, fork, cockpit and keep the drivetrain and wheels.

it seems like the chili is a burlier bike and that is what i want. i am not concerned with weight because i want something that will last.

i can test ride a chili but am unsure about the rune.

some questions:
    1. is anyone in the philly, pa area willing to let me ride their rune?
    2. are there any banshee dealers on the east coast?
    3. i would like a bigger shock than the standard rp 23 or ctd, do any of you find the ccdb complicated? i am not a tinkerer. i like set and forget.
    4. does anyone have a chili with a 27 wheel set? i have a 26 wheel set built dh and was wondering if i could eventually get a 27 in the future to make a better trail bike.

an sc nomad may be considered, but i am unsure of its dh ability.

thanks for reading this long post.
    2010 EWR OWB 29er
    2012 Transition Bottlerocket

mtbr member
    May 2004
    3. CCDB can be set & forget.
    4. There is no 27.5 Chilcotin (yet?).

I would suggest a test ride on the Chili, you might be at the cusp of the L/XL sizing. BGillespie over on the knolly board is 6-2 and rides a L with a 50mm stem and a setback post...

mtbr member
    4. there is no 27 chili, but i know people are putting these wheels on 26 bikes. just wondering.

i will get a ride on the chili in the next couple of weeks. i was hoping that an nj/pa/de rune dealer/owner would let me test that as well.

the chili would allow me to swap my seat post being a 31.6
    2010 EWR OWB 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've had a chilli for over a year - love it, and sounds like a good fit for what you're looking for. I live in Atlanta (from Pgh originally), the bike is spectacular in WVA mountains (park riding at Snowshoe + all mountain around the area), burly and stiff laterally - tracks great in berms and corners - but is really overkill for what I ride in north georgia area. Definitely going to need an XL on the Chilli. Have you looked at a Transition Covert? A friend has one and loves it...

powered by bacon

Re: Chilcotin vs. Rune

The new Rune frame is pretty beefy... And you could always put a coil on it. I run an Elka on mine and it's great.

You really can't go wrong with either of the two.

mtbr member
    @dcthgreen: i like the covert, but it may be to small for me. funny, i will be moving to pgh later this year.
    2010 EWR OWB 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guswalls View Post
    @dcthgreen: i like the covert, but it may be to small for me. funny, i will be moving to pgh later this year.
    I havent been on a covert but the LG sizing clearly runs too small. I owned a bike with similar geo and always felt both cramped and like I was completely on top of it rather than in it.

You should look at the Canfield The One. It seems like it will fit the bill quite well. People set them up for AM or DH or anywhere in between. You have 4 suspension options but everyone runs it in 8 inch mode all the time. The linkage handles the rider vs trail input amazingly. You can float up nasty northeast tech and then bomb down it with out changing a thing. This bike seriously lives up to its name.

I got The One with a CCDBA and so far I have barely strayed from the base tune. Canfield bikes, and a few others, come with the CCDBA or CCDB already tuned (by Cane Creek) to the bike so its ready to ride with minimal adjustments. Even if you go with a different frame and get a CCDB/A you can find most base tunes on Cane Creeks website.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If a bottlerocket is too much bike for you than the chilcotin and rune are too much bike for you as well. Why not something like a covert, endorphin, or firebird?

I have an endorphin with a durable build and I have no problem getting good air on it. I also use it at some of the bike parks that don't require the use of my Jedi.

mtbr member
    thank you lax carp, i considered that a trail bike might be better as a first fs, but i am hard on a bike. i am not sure where you live, but in south east pa everything is short, steep, rocky and root. there are no extended climbs or descents.

i wonder if a trail bike would hold up under my learning how to do things. i weigh 215 out of the shower and want a bike that i can grow into as my skills increase.

i dont mind a burly bike because the br is 42 pounds. since i have a 29er hard tail, i would use this bike 50 hard trail and 50 bike park.
    2010 EWR OWB 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    No problem. I ride the same kind of east coast terrain as you do but I am in the capital region of NY. I am a smaller guy than you at 150lbs though. I prefer the techiest trails I can find and also will be racing enduro this summer.

I still think you should consider the burly end of the trail bike category and build it with a fork and wheels that can tolerate your abuse. I believe this for a couple reasons- you will have a bike more suitable for a wider variety of terrain, minus FR and DH; I think your skills will progress better and more correctly with this style of bike.

A lot of people jump into a bigger handling bike than they are capable of and it covers up their technical deficiencies in riding a bike. Modern trail bikes can handle a serious amount of abuse as long as they are built with terrain and body weight specific components. If you want a bike that you can occasionally take to the park the chilcotin or rune will def be the ones to consider though.

mtbr member
    It sounds like the issue was the bottlerocket being a complete pig, which it is known to be. At your weight (btw I'm 240lbs naked) I think jumping to the other extreme and getting a flexy trail bike would be a poor decision as well. Yes there might be a couple trail frames out there with adequate strength but chances are the build (if you buy a complete bike) will be too weak and low end for you.

Your best bet is a typical 6 inch AM bike like the ones you mentioned with strong wheels and fork. I ride with Hope Pro Evo 2s laced to Flows and a Totem for XC...
    6'5" 230lbs

mtbr member
    thanx jtnord. the bottlerocket is not a complete pig. i did build it heavy. but the main issue is the top tube is so short that i have a 70mm stem and it still feels cramped. the seat tube is so short that i can't pedal it comfortably.

since my hard tail can handle xc to trail, i want something that can handle the other end of mtbing. i do not intend to buy a full dh bike. i want this bike to last since i keep things for a long time.

you have made me interested in the canfield, but i have a lot of questions. i want to swap a lot of things over because of price. i spent a lot of money on the br and if i can sell the frame, fork and a couple of other pieces the price difference would not be too great. i am nervous because canfield requires a 170 crank or less and i have a 175. how do tall people like us pedal short cranks? or does 5mm not make that much difference?
    2010 EWR OWB 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If you're looking at banshee already, why not look at the spitfire or the prime.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    i would like to ride any of these bikes before i buy.

29 trail bikes are out because i want to do some dh.
    2010 EWR OWB 29er

I'm SUCH a square....
    I'm still held up by your comment about the Nomad -- the only thing Santa Cruz MAKES that downhills better is the V-10!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    hey jtnord,
    can we meet on a trail somewhere? i would like to see your bike in person and give it a short spin.
    2010 EWR OWB 29er

mtbr member
    you have made me interested in the canfield, but i have a lot of questions. i want to swap a lot of things over because of price. i spent a lot of money on the br and if i can sell the frame, fork and a couple of other pieces the price difference would not be too great. i am nervous because canfield requires a 170 crank or less and i have a 175. how do tall people like us pedal short cranks? or does 5mm not make that much difference?
    Ive been on 170mm cranks for years now. I didnt notice much of a change coming off 175mm cranks. You will get used to it pretty quick.

The only downside (theres good and bad actually) to the ONE is it has a particularly low BB. If you run 8 inch mode all the time, that will help and theres really no reason not to anyway. For the headset you could get an angleset or offset cups to steepen the geo and get the BB further off the ground. Or at the least get an external bottom cup and keep the stock HTA. I kept the stock HTA and love it. I always thought 66.5-67 degrees was too steep especially if you are shuttling a lot. Im running a Totem btw.

I did initially get a lot more pedal strikes than my other bikes but part of that is because Im going faster, riding harder, and pedaling with ease through the rough. Ive already improved my timing a lot so its not a big deal.

If you want some more info I am happy to help but there is also a Canfield section with many threads on the ONE!

If you're curious to see my setup here it is: 2012-Canfield-The-One Photo Album - Pinkbike
    6'5" 230lbs

mtbr member
    PM sent
    6'5" 230lbs

mtbr member
    May 2005

Banshee dealers on East Coast

. are there any banshee dealers on the east coast?
    Pick East Coast from list
    US Dealers | Banshee Bikes: DH Race, Freeride, All Mountain, Trail, Slopestyle, DJ/Street/4x, Aggressive Trail, Cross Country

I bought my Spitfire V2 frame from Blackstone Bikes in RI (35 minute drive and a good shop that does allot of Banshee) although Tryon Bike in NY had a slightly better price shipped right to my door ($1800) only because I had to pay RI tax.

Both really nice bikes but I'm a 650B freak so the the Rune gets my nod with it's ability to run either size. Did you look at the New Norco Range Killer B bikes?
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    I have a Rune v2, and its plenty burly, way beyond anything that I'm capable of. At one point I was considering selling my v2 for a Chili, but I couldn't be more pleased with the bike. Unless you're bucking 15' step downs and 30' gaps on a regular basis, I don't think you need to worry about the Rune.

Here's a vid of my buddy hitting a 15' ladder drop with not the greatest transition on his Rune v2. I'm not saying the chili isn't burly, but do not underestimate the rune by any means.

Grave Yard Video - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    I've been on my Rune V2 for almost a month now and my buddy has been on his for a few months. The bike is simply amazing. Ours are both built moderately light (mines at 31lbs). I can pedal up all day on it or ride some pretty hairy trails. Mine has the CCDBa. Set the sag and throw on Banshee's base tune and you're set after a couple fine adjustments. I just upped LSC a tad and haven't touched it sense. I imagine i could make this bike my one and only if I had to. It's very well thought out with all the geo/wheel options.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Check these out as well

I'm looking for my first fully as well. Im looking for something that climbs but can handle a jumping clydesdale. Some i've looked into are the Norco Range Killer-B, and the Covert. I contacted Transition and they put me in touch with Dropnzone.com who has been very helpful.

You may want to consider the Cove G-Spot. Ive read all kinds of reviews and it sounds great for the type of riding we are both looking into.

mtbr member
    rode the knolly chilcotin in allamuchy state park (northern jersey). that was a great bike. i may be better fit with an xl. that bike is an eye opener. we hit lumpy bumpy and when the shock was moved the bike felt very different.

any banshee owners want to let me test one in the philly area?

this saturday will be riding the one. looking forward to this weekend.
    2010 EWR OWB 29er

mtbr member
    May 2004
    rode the knolly chilcotin in allamuchy state park (northern jersey). that was a great bike. i may be better fit with an xl. that bike is an eye opener. we hit lumpy bumpy and when the shock was moved the bike felt very different.
    Very cool. Could you clarify that last statement for us? Are you referring to how active the rear end is under compression or did you change the suspension setup?
    What setting did you ride it in - steep? Did you keep it there?

mtbr member
    sorry for the confusion. the bike is somebody else's personal ride. for the first half of the ride i was fighting the bike, the cockpit was too cramped and low. we rolled the handlebars forward and immediately there was a difference. because the bars were so low, i was constantly pulling the front wheel off the ground while pedaling. the air fork up front made for a very light bike.

before the last downhill section we moved the shock from high and steep to slack and low. there was a remarkable change in the bike's feel.

i can't really say anything about rear end compression because i don't know that much. i am a set it and forget it type of person.

this bike was set up very light and felt very light. with my coil fork, i would have felt more familiar i think. this bike had a fox float up front and a ccdb air out back.

i really liked this bike, but it needs some weight and a taller front end for me.
    2010 EWR OWB 29er

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast