mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Cheapest place to buy tires?

Title says it all...I'm in the market for new tires and know my local bike shop is the most expensive. Where's a cheap place for quality tires online?

My current tires are Kenda blue groove front and Kenda nevegal rear, both 26x2.1.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dwt
    mtbr member

I buy about 80% of my components on eBay. Often the price on new parts is too good to refuse; and generally eBay sellers ship faster than online retailers IME.

But do a price check at Jenson, Cambria and Price Point first. Sometimes they have sales that blow the socks off eBay
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Re: Cheapest place to buy tires?

Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    I buy about 80% of my components on eBay. Often the price on new parts is too good to refuse; and generally eBay sellers ship faster than online retailers IME.

But do a price check at Jenson, Cambria and Price Point first. Sometimes they have sales that blow the socks off eBay
    That's what I was thinking, but haven't heard of jenson, Cambria, etc. Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    As far as who is cheapest depends on the week and the sale. I have 7 or 8 websites I go through when I'm looking at buying new stuff, including the ones already mentioned. A google search will also bring up some deals sometimes, including Amazon and other retailers.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Qbike.com searches all the good sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Huffy Rider
    biketiresdirect I buy in bulk when my tires are on sale and in stock, then you get points and your next order will have a discount.

mtbr member
    Swap Meets and Large expo/events... Haven't had the need to pay anything even remotely close to retail or wholesale for that matter. Just remember to stock up when the chance arises! Other then that, I have only bought from amazon and they out beat everyone by miles.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by motochick View Post
    biketiresdirect I buy in bulk when my tires are on sale and in stock, then you get points and your next order will have a discount.
    I thought Bikesdirect only sold complete bikes, not components? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong site?
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Google...shopping...varies by tire.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    I thought Bikesdirect only sold complete bikes, not components? Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong site?
    You are. Bikes direct and bikesTIREsdirect are 2 different sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    When you buy tires online, you have to be careful about the different tread compounds and beads etc as these will cause very different prices among tire models from one site to the next. For example WTB Comp vs WTB Race of the same tread pattern/size will perform very different and the price will reflect that. Often times it is hard to tell what tire you are actually buying online.

I have found Art's Cyclery has a good selection of low priced mountain bike tires. All their items clearly state which version of the tire you are going to get. Fast shipping too

mtbr member
    the 2.2 Kenda Telonix DTC folding tire is on sale right now for $22

Kenda Telonix Folding Tire Oe 2011 > Sale | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

the Kenda Nevs are usually around $33 online. theyre what i use

heres a pic of the Telonix...

2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Because I bought my bike there, at a competitive price, my LBS gives me 10% off those competitive prices on all parts and accessories. I figure, after checking the Online retailers and Ebay, it costs me about 5% of total outlay, about $30 this year after a major re-build of a used frame, to keep my spending at the shop.

That $30 buys me quick turn around on repairs, expert advice and lifetime adjustments. Something to keep in mind next time someone's looking to save a few bucks.

Except for some backpack emergency gear, I have no outlay for tools or stands. I already have enough to do with my 450Volts DC hobby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheapest place to buy tires?-img_2299_1.jpg  

IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Jenson and nashbar both do blowout sales on random tires. But again you gotta pay attention to compounds, sidewall types bead types and such. But sometimes you gotta bite the bullet if you want specific coveted tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I got unbeatable prices for Continental Trail King 2.4 BC at artscyclery. Make sure you do a google to find out the most recent monthly promo code though. I got an additional 15% off because of a quick google search for a promo code.

mtbr member
    I just bought some from Price Point. Art's is pretty consistent though