mtbr member
    May 2013

Cheap All Mountain Bike?

I'm looking for a bike that handles downhill well but can still do uphills. I am a fairly advanced biker but dont have a whole lot of money to invest. I am 6ft 2 and weigh about 185 lbs. Hoping to spend less than $2000.

I like bikes

Quiet Professional
    You are going to downhill runs on a hardtail 29"

In my opinion I would look for a used or new old stock all mountain like the reign, heckler, or other 5 to 7" squishy. You can do downhill on a hardtail, but more comfortable, faster, and more controlled on a full suspension.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seanb3259 View Post
    I'm looking for a bike that handles downhill well but can still do uphills. I am a fairly advanced biker but dont have a whole lot of money to invest. I am 6ft 2 and weigh about 185 lbs. Hoping to spend less than $2000.
    You can prowl Ebay for six months as I did for a deal like this '05 Heckler, without a mark on it, with a Deore BB and crankset for $525 shipped. It arrived this past Friday.

My bike shop is swapping all the other components from my Hardtail to it and I bought a Rockshox Sektor RL Solo 150 for $450 to complete it.

Can't wait to pick it up on Tuesday!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cheap All Mountain Bike?-img_3110_1.jpg  

IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

I like bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    You are going to downhill runs on a hardtail 29"
    All day long. Lot's of AM riders ride hardtails... The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.l

I could have said, look used....that is a no brainer. Look for something with shocks.....Any AM bike used for $2000 will be fine at that price point...easy to look up which is best for the year, we're on a MTB review site.

For $2000 new, choices are limited, Nice Hardtail is doable at that price. To each their own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 450VoltsDC View Post
    You can prowl Ebay for six months as I did for a deal like this '05 Heckler, without a mark on it, with a Deore BB and crankset for $525 shipped. It arrived this past Friday.

My bike shop is swapping all the other components from my Hardtail to it and I bought a Rockshox Sektor RL Solo 150 for $450 to complete it.

Can't wait to pick it up on Tuesday!
    Hardly a deal IMO.

If you looked around for 6 months, why didn't you buy a brand new Santa Cruz Heckler (latest version before they went tapered and slacker HT) for only $550 during their online parking lot clearance sale with a manufacturer's warranty?

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by ghglenn View Post
    All day long. Lot's of AM riders ride hardtails... The All Mountain Hardtail Thread. Post up yours.l

I could have said, look used....that is a no brainer. Look for something with shocks.....Any AM bike used for $2000 will be fine at that price point...easy to look up which is best for the year, we're on a MTB review site.

For $2000 new, choices are limited, Nice Hardtail is doable at that price. To each their own.

No offense but just because they have full faces and pads on does not make the trail they are riding on more of DH or AM rip. Skidding and hitting branches does not count as AM IMHO. Cool video but maybe find something a big rougher that you would want or need a 6" bike on and show a fella ripping it on a Hardtail. Something more like this will prove your point better.
    Video: Chromag - Trail Boss - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You can build a hardtail on the cheap, and it'll rip. You'll also need to be in better shape since you do not want to sit a whole lot on rocky trails with a hardtail. I Build my hardtail for around 600-700 total

Could also prowl some of the manufacturers sites for deals on frames etc.

I might stay away from santa cruz just cause their name holds value (unless you absolutely get a steal on it).

Be careful with buying just a frame. It's easy to end up spending a lot more on that route if you are not careful.
    Just another redneck with a bike

I like bikes
    Video: Chromag - Trail Boss - Pinkbike

I was looking for that video, but couldn't find it. Thanks. Awesome vid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schlockinz View Post
    You can build a hardtail on the cheap, and it'll rip. You'll also need to be in better shape since you do not want to sit a whole lot on rocky trails with a hardtail. I Build my hardtail for around 600-700 total
    You dont want to be sitting on a full suspension bike going down either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    You dont want to be sitting on a full suspension bike going down either.
    True, but you can be seated more on longer rides if you're not in good enough shape to stand and pedal most of the time.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    +1 on the Diamondback Mason.

I purchased one in January to replace my 6" travel Commencal Meta 666 (an AM bike)

Absolutely love the new bike, rides uphill very efficiently, and bombs going down. The 29" tires help with roll, and after you get accustomed to not having rear shock, you should be good to go. I would say I am faster going down on the Mason then the FS bike in many cases. The exception would be any type of rock gardens; I'm more careful now since on the HT, and don't seek them out so readily.

The Mason was designed for AM riding, as is the Kona Honzo, Transition TransAm 29er.
    --------------------------------
    2013 DiamondBack Mason

2011 Transition Bottlerocket
    Seattle, USA

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Hecker with the "dAM" package is $2099. The fork (Sektor TK) is just OK, but that can be upgraded over time. That frame is solid, and a really good AM platform.

Santa Cruz Bicycles HECKLER
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Cheap All Mountain Bike?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Santa Cruz Hecker with the "dAM" package is $2099. The fork (Sektor TK) is just OK, but that can be upgraded over time. That frame is solid, and a really good AM platform.

Santa Cruz Bicycles HECKLER
    This, or start cruising the used ads and closeouts. If you are near a major metropolitan area good deals can often be found on lightly used 2-3 year old bikes that people bought and ended up not riding. It helps if you are flexible on the brand. You really cant go wrong with any major manufacture and good used choices can be found in your price range on Santa Cruz, Ibis, Yeti, Turner, etc.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The exception would be any type of rock gardens; I'm more careful now since on the HT

mtbr member
    heckler i an awesome AM rig. have had 2 and sold them both. if you can find it look for a used nomad, better geo and pedals nicer than a heckler