mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Changing Trek Scratch to an IBIS HD or SC NOMAD C

Good afternoon

I'm thinking of changing my trek Scratch 9 for an Ibis HD or Santa Cruz Nomad
    Carbon.
    I am very happy with the Trek Scratch but i wanted to switch to a carbon frame with 160 mm stroke.

What do you think?

For me the enduro or all mountain is 60/70% Downhill and 40/30% uphill.

Thanks

b a n n e d
    There's not one person in the world who can answer this for you . . . you just have to go out, ride them both and decide which one you like.

End thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ngrn View Post
    Good afternoon

I'm thinking of changing my trek Scratch 9 for an Ibis HD or Santa Cruz Nomad
    Carbon.
    I am very happy with the Trek Scratch but i wanted to switch to a carbon frame with 160 mm stroke.

What do you think?

For me the enduro or all mountain is 60/70% Downhill and 40/30% uphill.

Thanks
    Ibis HD hands down. I demo'ed all three fairly thoroughly this past year on my favorite local trails and feel the HD blew the others away with climbing to decent abilities. 2nd goes to the NomadC (even though I wasn't super impressed, my current bike, Banshee Rune felt both better on the climbs and descents) and thirdly, the Scratch. I was a bit dissappointed to my surprise with the Scratch air, just kind of left me unimpressed, the Remedy felt better to me, even though it was much steeper. The Scratch coil did feel pretty good on the descent, but was bit of a bear to climb up the hill to get to it. It felt more like a true FR bike that can climb a bit when needed, but a poor choice, IMO if having to do long grinds to get to the goods, unless you like to suffer more.
    Ride On!

Levi Early
    hd hands down as well. I went from a hd to a scratch actually. I miss the hd a lot. it was a very balanced bike. I will probably have another here shortly

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Ibis HD hands down. I demo'ed all three fairly thoroughly this past year on my favorite local trails and feel the HD blew the others away with climbing to decent abilities. 2nd goes to the NomadC (even though I wasn't super impressed, my current bike, Banshee Rune felt both better on the climbs and descents) and thirdly, the Scratch. I was a bit dissappointed to my surprise with the Scratch air, just kind of left me unimpressed, the Remedy felt better to me, even though it was much steeper. The Scratch coil did feel pretty good on the descent, but was bit of a bear to climb up the hill to get to it. It felt more like a true FR bike that can climb a bit when needed, but a poor choice, IMO if having to do long grinds to get to the goods, unless you like to suffer more.
    Just curious how did you like the Mojo HD compared to your Rune. Would it be worth selling the Rune to pick up a HD? I am thinking about it but have not had a chance to demo a HD yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for or honest opinion. My Scratch 9 is very ligth 15.5kg but is hard to climb but is super in DH.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnicolas View Post
    hd hands down as well. I went from a hd to a scratch actually. I miss the hd a lot. it was a very balanced bike. I will probably have another here shortly
    Mrnicolas regarding the DOwnHill how th IBis HD works compared with the Scratch???

Thanks
    Last edited by ngrn; 09-27-2011 at 02:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Good question since the two bikes ride quite similar with similar geometry, mostly due to the fact they both have a fair amount of anti-squat to them and is what makes them both really great climbers/pedalers for what they are. The HD, did feel like it maybe accelerated a bit more in/out of the corners on the descents, thereby making it feel a bit more responsive while going down. All this in a svelter, tighter package altogether with a bit more travel (plus) that climbs just as well as the Rune, if not better, while giving you a little more on the downs. They are pretty expensive though at $2500/frame, uses 31.6 SP (if you have just 30.9 adj. seatposts like me, then you are out of luck or spending more $), tapered HT (would mean new fork for me or at least a new crown). Not sure how much you would get for a used Rune, but it still would be a somewhat hefty upcharge to get into an HD (probably still cost you $1.5-2k to own depending how much you could get for the Rune). I would have to say the HD is the most efficient and true-AM bike I haven't ridden to date, but the Rune is not too far behind at a much lesser price point, but more problems of course. Hope that helps and are able to ride one someday. Demo'ing bikes before you buy is ideal if you can. I hit a Cove demo today that I just heard about yesterday that was only an hour away from my house, so was able to hit it.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Good question since the two bikes ride quite similar with similar geometry, mostly due to the fact they both have a fair amount of anti-squat to them and is what makes them both really great climbers/pedalers for what they are. The HD, did feel like it maybe accelerated a bit more in/out of the corners on the descents, thereby making it feel a bit more responsive while going down. All this in a svelter, tighter package altogether with a bit more travel (plus) that climbs just as well as the Rune, if not better, while giving you a little more on the downs. They are pretty expensive though at $2500/frame, uses 31.6 SP (if you have just 30.9 adj. seatposts like me, then you are out of luck or spending more $), tapered HT (would mean new fork for me or at least a new crown). Not sure how much you would get for a used Rune, but it still would be a somewhat hefty upcharge to get into an HD (probably still cost you $1.5-2k to own depending how much you could get for the Rune). I would have to say the HD is the most efficient and true-AM bike I haven't ridden to date, but the Rune is not too far behind at a much lesser price point, but more problems of course. Hope that helps and are able to ride one someday. Demo'ing bikes before you buy is ideal if you can. I hit a Cove demo today that I just heard about yesterday that was only an hour away from my house, so was able to hit it.

Thank you very much for the write up I appreciate it. I am heading to Outerbike next month and I do plan on demoing the HD so I will get a chance to check it out. I am also hoping that maybe Banshee will jump on the Carbon band wagon and announce something coming down the line in a year or 2 and then I would hold out. I do like the Banshee it is just freaking heavy with the parts I have and if I was going to upgrade everythign I would rather just sell it and buy a new bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Mrnicolas regarding the DOwnHill how th IBis HD works compared with the Scratch???