Thread: Change stem?

mtbr member
    May 2010

Change stem?

Hi all,

I have a 2009 small GT force and want to change the standard stem from a 90mm to either a 40mm or 60mm? Has anyone done this and what was your thoughts on doing it?
    I am kinda leaning towards the 40 but not 100% sure.
    I just feel like I am a little over the front too much on the tech downhills and feel this will make a big difference?

thanks
    Jason

P.s posted in the GT section but also here as may get more replies here?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    freaking awesome. do it.

mtbr member
    The stem length goes hand in hand with the bar length. Having a short stem with a short handle bar will make your cockpit feel very cramped.

40mm is pretty extreme. I debated between a 50mm and a 70mm. Visted a LBS and started at the two for 30 minutes, decided to get 70mm.

Youtube has some good how-to on changing out stems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    90mm to 40mm is 50mm/2" shorter, that's a lot.
    90mm to 70mm would be noticable.
    Last edited by fsrxc; 08-05-2011 at 04:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    90mm to 50mm is 50mm/2" shorter,

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think I am going to get a 60mm and see how that works.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Can you push the seat back any ?? you could run a shorter stem then and keep your length, maybe a layback post.

moving your weight back will improve going down, but at the cost of climbing where your front end will want to wander more and less weight on the front makes mud harder to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    So I made a typo, it's fixed.

:\ ping of death
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister_designs View Post
    I think I am going to get a 60mm and see how that works.
    Start with 60mm first. A 50mm change is very drastic unless you have long arms and you ride with your elbows behind your back now.
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

mtbr member
    50mm stem and 740 to 760 bar is a perfect combo. If you want a DH type stem 50mm is the standard. You just need to understand the shorter the stem wider the bar and vise versa.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i just went to a 80mm 10 degree rise and love the thing. 2009 easton havoc with 2011 easton havoc 750mm bars

mtbr member
    I used to have 90 on my AM rig, then switched to 70 and itīs fu...in noticable
    IMO goinī shorter than 60 will restrict climlinī capabilities. So if you do also a lot of climbinī to get up hill to shred it down, Iīd look for something between 60-70.
    Personal, little freaky story-photo-blog: ondrakozubek.webnode.cz

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Have LBS help wwith your set up,rule of thumb is your elbow on the tip of the seat extended forward with fingers resting on the stem.Middle finger should be in aprox middle of the stem,but your seat position needs to be right first.Worked for me,I now have a 60mm stem.Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 special View Post
    Have LBS help wwith your set up,rule of thumb is your elbow on the tip of the seat extended forward with fingers resting on the stem.Middle finger should be in aprox middle of the stem,but your seat position needs to be right first.Worked for me,I now have a 60mm stem.Hope this helps.
    Not so sure about this. It assumes that everyones body parts are proportional to the others. AKA big feet big meet. You could have a shorter forearm and a longer spine or just like how a shorter or longer stem feels. The only sure way is to try it. My bike came stock with 720mm bars and 90mm stem. I put on a 60mm stem and it really helped with my position on the bike and how the bike handles. I'm going to put some 740mm bars on and see how that goes but I'm thinking of going to a 50mm stem. With bar witdth consider that a wider grip will move your chest closer to the bar, thus the shorter stem relationship to keep your upper body in realativly the same spot.
    I've noticed that the shorter stem gave me a little less leverege on the bars with respect to low speed turning or more usually keeping the wheel straight in rock gardens. It also a slightly quicker response to steering input especially while climbing.

from the east

Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by 98 special View Post
    Read this and thought, total nonsense- there's too many variables, can't be true. But then I went over to my 456 that I'm pretty comfy on, and BAM, EXACTLY true. Weird.

But I'd add my +1 to peeps who said 50mm is a lot of change at once. Even 10mm makes a difference.

Eric
    What power?!?

The power of Voodoo!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    my trance x4 had a 90mm. i went to a 70mm and had a big difference. 40mm is pretty extreme