Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

to chainguide or not to chainguide?

that is the question...

are there any cons to using a chainguide?
    does using a chainguide negate the need for a bashgaurd?

tgif!

mtbr member
    Chainguide with a taco bash... a chainguide without bash is just silly, as you'll either be bashing your frame or your chainring/chain... One of the best mods I made to my bike, have an expensive carbon frame, without chainguide/tensioner was starting to knick the upper chainstay with the chain on hard descents...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

dwt
    mtbr member
    Any 1x9 or 1x10 bike requires a guide of some sort to keep the chain from bouncing off the front chainring. No FD to hold the chain on. There are many varieties; search this forum.

The only 1x I know of that does NOT require a guide is the new SRAM 1 x 11; the chain and RD are designed specifically to hold chain on without FD or guide.

I run a 1x 9 with an inner and outer bashguard (aka bashwhich) which keeps the chain on and protects the chainring.

I run my other bike 2x9 with bash-32-22. No guide necessary to hold chain on.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by tarp43 View Post
    that is the question...

are there any cons to using a chainguide?
    does using a chainguide negate the need for a bashgaurd?

tgif!
    there are cons, but I think you'll find that the overwhelming majority of guys will take any possible con in a heartbeat for all the positives the chainguide offers. 1x is just a given. 2x is perhaps a slight bit more problematic with fit & performance, but even still, its a no brainer.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    thanks for the feedback - im on a 2x9 with direct mounts on the frame (new frame) which I'm building up this weekend.

sounds like a no brainer - chainguide it is!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I just recently completed a Intense Carbine being that it does not have Iscg mounts and need to run a bashgard I went with a Xt triple crankset 38-26t rings and XTR Shadow Plus, would have prefered single chainring but a front derailleur acts as a chain guide to.and actually while I was researching options and using 38-26t I feel this may be the ultimate drive train setup for me,I built this for Enduros and AM and like the Idea of having the 38t for ascending and with the 26 have a nice gear range for difficult climbing,have a 28t coming to test very soon.

usually cranky
    ^^fs go with a full guide, ht go with a top only.

mtbr member
    Some bikes are more prone to chain drop, my am bike I bought this summer with 2x10 definitely needed one, I went with an mrp 2x. Few things annoy me more than having to stop and fix my chain,and sometimes when things get hairy that guide can save me from a trip to the emergency room.

nero
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    I just recently completed a Intense Carbine being that it does not have Iscg mounts and need to run a bashgard I went with a Xt triple crankset 38-26t rings and XTR Shadow Plus, would have prefered single chainring but a front derailleur acts as a chain guide to.and actually while I was researching options and using 38-26t I feel this may be the ultimate drive train setup for me,I built this for Enduros and AM and like the Idea of having the 38t for ascending and with the 26 have a nice gear range for difficult climbing,have a 28t coming to test very soon.
    Running this setup also 38/26 and shadow plus rear derailleur xt and haven't dropped a chain yet. Another plus is its completely silent. Yeti asr5

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nerofinis View Post
    Running this setup also 38/26 and shadow plus rear derailleur xt and haven't dropped a chain yet. Another plus is its completely silent. Yeti asr5
    Agreed,clutch derails best improvement ever for drivetrains! even with iscg mounts would still go this route!

nero
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    ^^fs go with a full guide, ht go with a top only.
    I disagree. Even on a hard tail I like a full guide with a taco. I'm a firm believer that a bash guard is a no brainer. It's such a simple thing to protect your bike. If I'm going to run a top guide and a bash guard, why not go with a full guide with the bash guard incorporated into it? I can't see any negative to it that would make a top guide and bash guard better.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

mtbr member
    I run a 1x9 with a bash only. My secret? Short cage X9 keeps the chain from flying around. Haven't had a chain pop off yet.

mtbr member
    go for it you won't regret.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My previous bike had consistent issues with chain drop when things got rough and fast... An issue that really made it difficult to have a fun day in places like Downieville or Northstar.

So on my new bike (2013 Giant Reign 2) I got the MRP 2x installed before it even left the shop... The downside? Its pretty noisy when pedaling on the big chainring. That's the only downside after a couple hundred miles on the bike.

I'll take it any day over the issues from my previous bike....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

Chain Guide & Deraileur With Clutch

I run a 1 X10 with a chain guide and a XTR deraileur with a clutch. I'm a huge fan of the Straitline Silent guide mtbiking.ca it is quiet and once installed you forget about it, it works that well.

Helmetless Crasher
    XTR Shadow Plus on 3x10, here - have not dropped a chain and silent.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav View Post
    I disagree. Even on a hard tail I like a full guide with a taco. I'm a firm believer that a bash guard is a no brainer. It's such a simple thing to protect your bike. If I'm going to run a top guide and a bash guard, why not go with a full guide with the bash guard incorporated into it? I can't see any negative to it that would make a top guide and bash guard better.
    if you need the extra protection then, yeah, go with a full guide. but on a hard tail you dont need a full guide soley for chain retention.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I run 2X10 with a Saint shadow plus, bash ring, and K Edge anti chainsuck device. The clutch derailleurs actually work, nice and quiet too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Dale_Rider View Post
    I run a 1x9 with a bash only. My secret? Short cage X9 keeps the chain from flying around. Haven't had a chain pop off yet.
    I guess this is where YMMV plays out. I had this setup running temporarily while I was waiting for an E13 guide to come in a few years ago and kept dropping my chain over bumpy/rooty/rocky terrain.

Hardtail running 1x9 with a SS dedicated ring up front (no ramps or pins). X9 short cage derailleur.

If you're going to get a guide, go with a guide that has upper and lower runs and protection. Unless you care about weight and know exactly what you are willing to sacrifice to the weight weenie gods.

mtbr member
    1 x 10 with XC top guide only. Learn how to bunny hop properly and bash ring not necessary. Set up is light and quiet.
    www.johnnyboy.ca

.:To Wheels : Adrenaline Racer : Deity Components : POC Sports : 5.10 : Oakley : Riding Feels Good:.

just ride
    Oct 2006
    edit: Oppss! Didn't know I was on AM thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyboy.ca View Post
    1 x 10 with XC top guide only. Learn how to bunny hop properly and bash ring not necessary. Set up is light and quiet.
    That's just daft. Can you bunny hop uphill over a rock garden that is 500 yards long or a downed tree stump that's 3 feet high?

To the OP a clutch type rear dérailleur and front derailleur will keep 99% of chains on. If you do a 1x you probably want an upper guide or you should look at something like the new MRP AM guide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    That's just daft. Can you bunny hop uphill over a rock garden that is 500 yards long or a downed tree stump that's 3 feet high?

To the OP a clutch type rear dérailleur and front derailleur will keep 99% of chains on. If you do a 1x you probably want an upper guide or you should look at something like the new MRP AM guide.
    OK revise my post. Learn to bunny hop, learn to choose lines better AND practice some basic technique and a bash guard is not necessary. I can actually bunny hop 3 ft yes (39 inches if you want specifics). Besides that though, proper riding technique to get over large logs does not require a bashguard. People have been riding over downed logs since the late 80's without bashguards.

In my opinion a 1 X set up with a chainguide (no bashguard) is the perfect trail ripper set up. Add a clutch derailleur and it will be even quieter.
    Last edited by johnnyboy.ca; 12-22-2012 at 06:59 AM.
    www.johnnyboy.ca

.:To Wheels : Adrenaline Racer : Deity Components : POC Sports : 5.10 : Oakley : Riding Feels Good:.

mtbr member
    Ok sorry Danny MacAskill. Around here any set up without a bash and your teeth on the biggest chain ring you have would last a couple of months at best. Crank arms are beaten up too. It's not solely through poor line choices. The rocks are relentless and the line choices are pick your poison and momentum is hard to come by meaning a bunny hop would often put you straight in the air or land you on another rock. Unless you have an unlimited supply of rings a bash guard is a necessary insurance policy but I am sure you will tell me (and 99% of riders around here) that we are just sh!t riders with no technique, skills or line picking ability.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast