Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Ok sorry Danny MacAskill. Around here any set up without a bash and your teeth on the biggest chain ring you have would last a couple of months at best. Crank arms are beaten up too. It's not solely through poor line choices. The rocks are relentless and the line choices are pick your poison and momentum is hard to come by meaning a bunny hop would often put you straight in the air or land you on another rock. Unless you have an unlimited supply of rings a bash guard is a necessary insurance policy but I am sure you will tell me (and 99% of riders around here) that we are just sh!t riders with no technique, skills or line picking ability.
    Agreed. I run a bash and chainguide on a 2x9 setup. It works wonders.

mtbr member
    Running 2x9 shadow + with bash guard & a bionicon chain guide.Perfect

chunk junkie
    what's a dropped chain? seriously though, I run a MRP Lopes guide and haven't thought twice about it since installation. my FS bike is setup 1x9 and I think I've hit my chain on a just few rocks/logovers in a couple years. careful with degreasers and some lubes, though. they can make the plastic brittle and crack. ask me how I know.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Seriously chain guides on AM bikes are overkill and completely unnecessary with clutch derailleurs for single chainring! If running two rings with front derail you can get away without a clutch derail,proper chain length and set up will eliminate dropped chains!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Trek Remedy, if you don't have a clutch type derailleur you're going to need some sort of chain retention device. I run 2x9 SLX with integrated bashie and since I've had the Bionicon chain device I no longer drop chains. Bionicon is cheaper than a new derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They sure don't like that stuff over at singlespeed..
    lean forward

chunk junkie
    even with a clutch derailleur there is a chance of dropping/bouncing the chain in rough terrain and drops. if I find a way to drop my chain using a guide I probably have bigger problems. that peace of mind it brings me is also nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    So I ended up with E-13 TRS w/ Bashgaurd (on 2x9 XT)

Unfortunately for the sake of review - I'm not able to compare how my new frame and build rides with out the guide as I swapped the build from my heckler to a new blur lt frame. however the heckler without the guide was pretty noisy and suffered from the occasional chain drop on technical decents.

Fastforwrad to the new build the bike is silent on decent and i have full confidence that my drive train is engaged. (nothing worse then coming out of a technical section to find your chain has dropped)... and since this frame is lighter i don't notice the additional weight.

bottom line I'd recommend this type of set up to anyone who rides more aggressive terrain and doesn't mind a little extra weight.

thanks for everyones input!

chunk junkie
    I'm pretty sure I still dropped weight, even with the chain guide. my MRP lopes weighs about 100g. the shifter, ft derailleur, and two chain rings that I dropped easily doubled that. not necessarily the case in a 2x, though.

mtbr member
    i just put a e13 TRS+Dual on my Trek 2X10 Remedy, to replace an older Stinger.

not going back to no guide on an AM frame

mtbr member
    The Blackspire Stinger has been pretty awesome. Only two rides, but it survived a few freeride runs with jumps, drops, and bumps without dropping the chain even without a front derailleur. Chain is much quieter on the bumps and I can't hear the roller while riding at all. Great for $40 and a few grams.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2