mtbr member
    May 2006

Chainguide for AM type riding?

I have an 07 SX trail which I am running 1x9 as I never use anything but the middle ring up front anyways. I use the bike for both 6 hour plus epics as well as downhill riding and drops.
    Recently I have started to get really irritated which the chain slapping around and making noise, could this be because I still use a long cage derailleur (Sram x.9) or do I need a chainguide to stop the slapping?

My second question is whether a chainguide on a bike like this will actually slow you down? Apart from the apparent weight gain I have heard that the fact that the chain rubs against those little pulley wheels all the time slows you down. Is this true?

noob
    Jan 2006
    I think you'd be better off running a 2x9 and taking a few links out of your chain...or just taking the links out.
    The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing more helpess and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an either binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon...

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    chainguide, chainguide!

put it on, you won't be sorry. 1x9 and chainguides were made for each other!

no, it will not slow you down, it will only make you faster, especially if you use a red chainguide.

mtbr member
    Hahahahaha.... Sorry. That bit about the chainguide slowing you down is good stuff. Yes, the chain does contact the rollers, but it's supposed to. It sure as hell dosn't make you slow. Why do you think every single DH racer on the planet uses one?

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    Why do you think every single DH racer on the planet uses one?
    Because their obviously stoopid..
    Its scientificaly proven that the drag from chainguides makes you go 0.000001% slower. That is, of course, without counting the dreaded wind resistance added from including one on your bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    like i said earlier.. all of this is completely negated, if you get a red one

ride hard take risks
    Are you having problems dropping the chain off the ring Chain slap is normal as long as the length is appropriate. I totally agree with HAB, stop trying to think.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks guys. I don't mean that the bike will actually roll slower, I just mean that people have told me that on really long rides with lots of climbing and stuff I might be able to feel a difference since the chain is always rubbing on those pulleys. I don't know, I guess it's just bull.

But they question is, do I really need a chainguide? I don't really have trouble with the chain dropping, it's just that I hate all that chain slap. Do you guys think it will make a big difference changing to a short cage derailleur?

Who are the brain police?
    I had a e13 dual guide + a short cage derailleur on my (older) sxt. Very quiet and chain never dropped.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    You're still going to get some slap with a chainguide. Plus the guide itself makes a little noise, so it's not nessicarily going to be quieter. If you're not dropping the chain I wouldn't bother.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    A happy medium is getting a Blackspire Stinger guide. Less noise, less weight and drag than a full guide system, and will let you run two rings if you decide to later, rather than the single. Cheap. Easy to install. Works well.

Works even better if you replace the stock wheel with an MRP LRP wheel.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    I have an '06 Enduro Elite, and it came with the Blackspire Stinger guide. It works well, but the roller was hard plastic and VERY noisey when the chain was on it. I ended up swapping the roller with a replacement for an E-13 drs, which is nice and soft rubber. MUCH, MUCH quieter.

But yes, you'll still get chain slap and all that, so not sure how much quieter it'll make things in that regard.

As far as a added resistance while pedalling, yes it does add a very slight bit of resistance when running the chain guide. I used to take mine off real quick for longer XC rides, but now I just leave it on. You can tell the difference with it off, but it's not that much of a difference at all.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

ride hard take risks
    Be sure your chain length is correct, wrap chain stay or install Lizzard Skinz to dampen chain slap. No a guide or tensioner will not stop the slap.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Gamut guide. Super light, super simple. and you can get the bash in a red. personally i'd get white though .