Thread: chain skip HELP

mtbr member

chain skip HELP

im having a problem with my fs bike where i start pedaling hard or going up a hill and the chain skips. i replaced the rear derailleur the chain and the cables and its still having the problem. the only things i haven't replaced are the gear rings and the cassette.
    mountain biking is my passion. ill bike just about any were even it its off limits to bikers.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

chain skip HELP

Quote Originally Posted by trail-adventure View Post
    im having a problem with my fs bike where i start pedaling hard or going up a hill and the chain skips. i replaced the rear derailleur the chain and the cables and its still having the problem. the only things i haven't replaced are the gear rings and the cassette.
    The chain and cassette should be the first things you replace.

The RD and cables will not cause skipping when adjusted well.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Try holding the bike still on the ground and look at the rings from the side. Push on the pedals some an watch to see if the ring moves while the chain cams out of the teeth. If that happens replace the rings and chain if it barely does the cam out, if it does it a lot then get a new cassette. The chain stretches and accelerates the wear on the soft materials then the cassette goes later.

mtbr member
    does it happen in every gear or a select few?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The ones worn the most which are probably the ones you used the most. I just replaced a middle ring and the chain and left my xtr cassette and it only skipped in the largest cog under power! So I had to ditch the whole thing. The middle ring was camming out so I knew it and the chain were needed to be replaced. I thought I could get away with it on the back and since I just built up a new frame, I checked it w a brand new cassette I had just gotten for another bike and it worked fine. So I broke down and shelled out the $170 for a new XTR one.

mtbr member
    Bent derailleur hanger?

Chain too short? If your full suspension bike has some chain growth (like VPP) and your chain is too short, it can cause skipping issues.

EDIT: Cables. Are they too short. If your cables get caught somewhere while the rear suspension is working, it might pull on your derailleur a bit.
    The cake is a lie.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    Bent derailleur hanger?

Chain too short? If your full suspension bike has some chain growth (like VPP) and your chain is too short, it can cause skipping issues.

EDIT: Cables. Are they too short. If your cables get caught somewhere while the rear suspension is working, it might pull on your derailleur a bit.
    You are referring to ghost shifting, different from 'skipping'.

OP needs to identify the problem clearly (at least to us). If the chain is attempting to shift up or down but falling back onto the original cog then the likely cause would be different than if the chain is 'skipping' on the teeth of the current cog (sliding over the teeth).

Skipping (with new chain)? Replace the affected ring(s) or cassette once you identify which is skipping.
    Ghost shifting? Simple barrel adjustment, Der. alignment, bent hanger, short cable on FS bike like mentioned above....or a half dozen other things.

mtbr member
    thanks for the tips guys i went to my local bike shop frewheeler and got a truvativ crank set. that fixed my problem.
    mountain biking is my passion. ill bike just about any were even it its off limits to bikers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Make sure a new chain went with the new cranks if they came with new rings regardless if it fixed the problem or not. A stretched chain will eat aluminum for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!