Thread: chain retention

mtbr member

chain retention

So Im running a 1x1 on my DW Sultan and having chain dropping issues. Sometimes drop to BB others onto Crank Arm. I need something that mounts to the BB (no tabs).

Im looking at the E13 XCX or a Stinger with the sandwich setup.

I have a YESS ETR/D Tensioner out back and Race Face Atlas Cranks. Currently no bash but I have one available. Ive read about the Atlas and Stinger issues but sounds like you can get around it with a slight mod.

What is the benefit of the roller on the Stinger? Is it more for a 2 ring setup? Seems like the Stinger / Sandwich deal may be a bit much but if it would work better than a top only guide then I would rather go that route.

The E13 XCX is real simple, but the one question I have is will it work with a bash ring?

Whats a better route to go? I dropped my chain about 5 times on todays ride, just sucked. Just for general info I actually have a 1x14 (Rohloff) but no derailluers so I said 1x1 to keep it simple.

mtbr member
    I use to run a sandwich / Stinger combo on my Yeti 575, which worked great. Then I used just the sandwich on my Banshee Spitfire, as I didn't feel the need for the Stinger. It still worked fine and I didn't drop the chain ever but it was noisy which got annoying. So I just put on the e13 XCX last week. So far it is working great, and is much quieter which is what I was looking for. However, as you noticed you cannot run a bash guard with the XCX. So I still need more time to see how it works not having a bash ring, as I have been running one for the past few years. But I figure a single ring with a chain wrapped around it is kind of smooth like a bash ring, so for logs it should be ok.

usually cranky
    no bash with the xcx. but that would still be my choice. if you do run a outer/inner guard it would work too, i dont see any reason for a stinger at all. sounds like a sweet bike! post some pics.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Are you opposed to a full chain guide like the MRP G2SL bb mount version? That sounds like it will cover all your needs. It's pretty light too, if that's important to you. It's gonna be 100% reliable, not even "occasionally" dropping your chain - I've NEVER dropped mine.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Good point JustMtnB44 about not really needing the bash on a single ring. I do rarely grind it, but does happen occasionally. I like the simplicity of the top only style guides.

I like that MRP G2SL, I didnt think it was available in BB mount but I now see it is. I think i may go XCX just because its probably quieter.

Im running a regular 9speed chain and was thinking a single specific might be better as its probably less flexable side to side, just a guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chain retention-mtbr.jpg  

mtbr member
    rip roar run the 1/8 ss chain and you should have zero problems. I switch my 1x9 set up to ss thru the winter with 1/8 chain and presto! instant overgrown bmxer with no problems.
    i'm on my Last Herb

nocturnal oblivion
    Wait for the seat tube mounted xcx to come out (due any day) and throw on a BB mount Stinger if you don't want a bash. Otherwise do the Stinger with a sandwich, which I can attest on my 5 Spot with RF Deus cranks is a slight PITA to set up. I had to bend the heck out of the Stinger and the BBG inner guide. Once set up though it is very quiet and I haven't dropped a chain. Nice ride!
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Theres an Australian company called Widget. Seems a few people are having success with them. Look like they'd suit your needs perfectly.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    Wait for the seat tube mounted xcx to come out (due any day) and throw on a BB mount Stinger if you don't want a bash. Otherwise do the Stinger with a sandwich, which I can attest on my 5 Spot with RF Deus cranks is a slight PITA to set up. I had to bend the heck out of the Stinger and the BBG inner guide. Once set up though it is very quiet and I haven't dropped a chain. Nice ride!

stinger plus a bash sandwich seems like overkill to me.

mtbr member
    Here is my old sandwich setup:

New e13 XCX BB mount setup:

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    All I know is; never never NEVER ride with long pants! My DB sprocketring shredded my pants leg like a manic-depressive cat in a rubber mouse factory! (not fun...) :-P

Weekend Warrior UK
    Sep 2006
    Another sandwich option: www.raidiumchainguide.co.uk.

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado
    Are you opposed to a full chain guide like the MRP G2SL bb mount version? That sounds like it will cover all your needs. It's pretty light too, if that's important to you. It's gonna be 100% reliable, not even "occasionally" dropping your chain - I've NEVER dropped mine.

I like how you think sir!!! Full chain guide is the only 100% reliable option!
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi All,

Few questions for you guys:
    - To RipRoar: I will fit a Rolhoff speedhub to Mojo SL in few weeks and I would like to know your experience with the Rohloff on your Turner (both DW link), do you feel the extra weight? does it affect suspension settings?

- To all of you: I'm looking for a chainguide and I would like to buy a MRP1X for the simplicity and look but with the new LopesSL chainguide from MRP I'm wondering if I really need a bottom chainguide?

- JustMtnB44 you are running the XCX any chain drops?

Many thanks to all of you.

Kenny

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forestek
    Hi All,

Few questions for you guys:
    - To RipRoar: I will fit a Rolhoff speedhub to Mojo SL in few weeks and I would like to know your experience with the Rohloff on your Turner (both DW link), do you feel the extra weight? does it affect suspension settings?
    Kenny
    Im sure mathematically there is a difference and probably on the negative side of things but in real world riding I cant tell the difference. For me all the benefits far out way any of the negatives. Prior to riding my Rohloff'd Sultan I did get to spend some time on a traditionally geared Sultan, so Im not just guessing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forestek
    - JustMtnB44 you are running the XCX any chain drops?
    None yet. It's not really possible for the chain to actually come off the chainring when using the XCX, so I don't anticipate it to ever be an issue.