mtbr member
    Dec 2008

New question here. Chain Guide and Bash guard SantaCruz Nomad 2013

Hey all,

So Im looking to get a Chain Guide and a Bashguard and I have a few questions. (I dont usually tinker too much so Im very novice in that department)

I just got a Nomad 2013 with
    CRANKSET: Shimano M610 24/32/42 (Deore) 10spd
    CASSETTE: Shimano HG 81, 11-36 (SLX) 10spd

I looked into the E13 TRS+ Dual and the Straightline silent guide etc
    but from i have read I think I would rather have my bash guard 4 bolt crank mounted to avoid damaging the iscg mount. (please correct me if Im way off on that)

So Im looking for a good combo of bash guard and chain guide that wont interfere with eachother and will work with my existing setup.

I hope you can help cause I know Id end up buying the wrong crap.

THANKS!

mtbr member
    Blackspire Stinger with a bash of your choice is an easy and cheap way to go

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    Pretty slick. And cheap! Thanks. Can you speak to the theory Ive rathered regarding this setup being more or less durable? In terms of frame damage that is.

mtbr member
    I've ran it on multiple bikes with no problems. If you are really worried about damaging the tabs you could get a BB mount Stinger so you don't even use the tabs. But that's why they are there, to be used.

Zombie Uprising
    Another very good option I've been using on my Nomad the past 8 months, successfully.
    MRP 2x

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Ok so unless someone chimes in with something earth shattering I think im gonna go with what Jmallory suggested. Im still deciding what bashgaurd.

Since Im getting rid of the 42 ring, can I basically choose any size bashguard as long as its larger than the 32 middle ring?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I've ran it on multiple bikes with no problems. If you are really worried about damaging the tabs you could get a BB mount Stinger so you don't even use the tabs. But that's why they are there, to be used.
    Fair enough, I just assume it were less likely i would hit the chain guide (could be way off as Ive never owned a guide) and keeping them mounted separately would be the best of all scenarios?? I was hoping that I would get some clarification on these topics. After all that is the root of all my confusion. Everything else was built off of those assumptions.

I never put much thought into it before but now. Especially now that I have a new bike with
    A-ISCG 05.
    &
    B- a much wider wheel base (or something) and I'm friggn hitting everything that I used to roll right over!

mtbr member
    Yes and that the bolt holes are the same. Do some research and there may be some other options. The major players are Blackspire, MRP, Gamut, and E13. They all may have separate guides and bash guards but the Stinger is definitely the cheapest while still being very reliable.

usually cranky
    yep any gaurd over 32t but id keep it close. also im sure iscg tabs are plenty strong, pro dhers run iscg tacos all the time and they are fine. but just in case id rather bust my $100 cranks rather than my $2000 frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    yep any gaurd over 32t but id keep it close. also im sure iscg tabs are plenty strong, pro dhers run iscg tacos all the time and they are fine. but just in case id rather bust my $100 cranks rather than my $2000 frame.

Thanks I just made my purchase. I got the stinger and a Gamut p30 (36t).

Thats pretty much what I had heard buzzing around and I also read some iffy disclaimers about iscg 05 but some how I cant find them now to post...

I too cant afford to replace a frame anytime soon but I imagine if I were a pro, replacing a frame might be as easy as replacing a taco or eating one for that matter.

mtbr member
    The bash size is the ring it protects, so a 32T bash will stand just proud of a 32T chainring. ISCG tab protection aside I prefer a bash over a taco as it keeps the chain from dropping off the high side and also protects your leg.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    +1 on that

Great quality and the price is right!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I've worked for MRP for three years and can't recall ever seeing busted ISCG tabs. Even if they got tweaked, they'd at worst just be unusable and THEN you could use a BB mount. I would much rather mount something to ISCG tabs than a BB.

With a BB mount you:
    1) have virtually no way of spacing the guide inboard or outboard
    2) have nothing but friction holding the guide in place, it could potentially rotate if stuck and make your bike unrideable (until repositioned) or damage your chainstay

Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tp806 View Post
    Another very good option I've been using on my Nomad the past 8 months, successfully.
    MRP 2x
    This is what I run on my 2x10 XT crankset and love it. Of course he would have to drop his big chain ring to make the MRP 2x work.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...